What is expected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flamingos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I graduated in the May of 2010 with a degree in Finance, and then worked for the summer. Long story short, I hated my job, quit and decided to try to go to medical school. I work full time at a hospital as a unit clerk.

I just completed the following:

Gen Bio I / II
Gen Chem I / II
Ochem I / II
Physics I / II
Genetics
General Nutrition

All with A's...though at a community college. I'm applying this upcoming cycle.

As such, my question for you guys is this...do schools expect me to also take alot of upper level classes (3/4000 level) such as Biochem / Microbio etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem is highly recommended and is required for many schools.

Micro is not required but it will only help you as a doctor.

Upper diviision is not necessary. You didn't say whether you took the MCAT yet.

Take Biochem and Microbio if you can. Immunology would be useful too.

They're in no way expected--I got in with only Biochem and hardly any upper-levels--but there are a lot of classes that will be much easier if you already have the proper background.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but will have it done by this summer. I guess I just wanted to focus on the MCAT exclusively this semester and then take Biochem in the Fall of 2013.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but will have it done by this summer. I guess I just wanted to focus on the MCAT exclusively this semester and then take Biochem in the Fall of 2013.

I know it's not always recommended, but I took an amazing online biochem course through Colorado State this past summer. Dr. Aaron Sholders is a consummate professor who was also always available via email. It's pretty fantastic how he uses technology in the course, as well. Just a thought.

Make sure you check with the various schools you intend on applying to. For instance, the state school here requires 6 hours of upper level (i.e., 300/400 level) classes taken at a senior college. Other than that, all the other BCPM courses can be completed at a CC.