what is hard about being a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsahand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think is hard about being a dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

Deciding what to do with my millions ;) Actually, for me, it might be my back. I don't know if I can lean over in a chair for the next 40 years. I have back problems at the age of 21 so I'm kind of worried.

Having to find time for family during all the long hours..
oh wait...

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio said:
Deciding what to do with my millions ;) Actually, for me, it might be my back. I don't know if I can lean over in a chair for the next 40 years. I have back problems at the age of 21 so I'm kind of worried.

How tall are you?

Audio said:

My brother really wants to be a dentist, but at age of only 20, he's got a herniated disc. Dentistry is probably not a good career for people with his back problem.

djsahand said:

Well, Im imaging those that have a hard time managing or are not that "business saavy" will have a hard time making good money. I hear all the time that the business side of dentistry will take some time....

You do have to work pretty intimately with your patients...sometimes for a few hours. You may need some stamina mentally and physically.

iambatman said:
How tall are you?

just under 6 feet. It's not that big of a problem but, I hate to imagine having to sit in one position for hours at a time. That would suck. But from my shadowing experience, the dentists weren't really seated for a really really long time. MOst of their procedures were rather short and the ones that were longer, like extractions or root canals, involved them standing up at times so I don't think it should be that bad. Hope I'm right. :rolleyes:

seriously, i think you need to be able to work hard physically. esp. oral surgeons. when i assisted at an oral surgery office, MY hand would get fatigued as hell just doing retraction or supporting the jaw for a few minutes. I would always be like, man i wonder what these doctors pushing and pulling away with all these forceps must be going through.

i was thinking of doing those hand squeeze excerice things.

djsahand said:

GETTING THERE.

Audio said:

they have better tools nowadays (ie, the super-vision glasses that blow up whatever you want to focus on, so the patient's tooth that you're working on will be magnified) so you don't have to lean so much.

djsahand said:

working a gruelsome 35 hours a week