What is intro to PSY like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g2603

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking biology lecture and lab II along with elementary French I this coming up semester, but everything didn't go as planned. I barely passed my English and Biology I lecture classes with a C grade for both–in my defense, I was dealing with health issues (which is the reason why I completely failed my biology I lab class; I missed all my labs and 3 exams). Gosh! So, as stated before, I am unable to take biology II. Instead, I'll be taking French, algebra, and intro to psy. I don't want to be overwhelmed with tons of hw (considering I'm taking French and algebra), so I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take intro to psy? What is it like?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm to be frank; it's a joke. It's an extremely basic overview of, essentially, psychological definitions. Very little theory is presented, in my experience. There are some things that are interesting but to really start understanding things in psychology, you'd need to take upper division courses. For instance, a lot of the psych material on the MCAT comes from social psychology, which is upper div.

Are you sure you're accurately attributing your poor performance to illness or might you be falling prey to the self-serving bias? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
People at your institution who have taken the course from your professor will be a far better resource to answer this question.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm to be frank; it's a joke. It's an extremely basic overview of, essentially, psychological definitions. Very little theory is presented, in my experience. There are some things that are interesting but to really start understanding things in psychology, you'd need to take upper division courses. For instance, a lot of the psych material on the MCAT comes from social psychology, which is upper div.

Are you sure you're accurately attributing your poor performance to illness or might you be falling prey to the self-serving bias? ;)

Hahahaha! I have been dealing with health issues for over a year now...I don't usually do poorly, believe me :)

Translation: fall asleep at the beginning of the semester. Wake up at the end with an A.

:p

Reactions: 1 users
Hahahaha! I have been dealing with health issues for over a year now...I don't usually do poorly, believe me :)
I'm just teasing ^^ I hope you're getting better. You should do just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I took AP Psych. 2nd easiest AP. Interesting stuff though. I took sociology at a CC, social psych (100% no effort lol) and something social health at my uni, among the easiest classes. It's a nice buffer class, went over topics (not speaking for your school) like how we learn, how we experience the world, and some very basic neuro stuff like brain waves in consciousness. I don't know how much will be on the new MCAT, but I remember taking the trial and one question was talking about Weber's Law. I remember I forgot most of the stuff from the class and guessed on most of the trial. So I would consider taking psych at some point, but it's really up to you...

No offense to any Psych majors out there but I know from personal experience that it is one of the easiest majors on the collegiate level. If you put forth the effort you will succeed, My psych GPA was a 3.97 much higher than all of my other coursework.

My experience with psychology courses is that it's easy to succeed, but to actually understand the material? I encountered very few of my peers who did.

My experience with psychology courses is that it's easy to succeed, but to actually understand the material? I encountered very few of my peers who did.

I see where you are coming from, psychology itself can be a very complex subject matter but at least on an undergraduate level most professors set it up so a lot of the tests you can just rely on recall not an in depth understanding. The stereotypical psychology major is not a gunning student with ambitions of medical school.

If you like kpop I'm sure you'll do well ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Real answer: It depends on your university and professor, so ask your classmates, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the easiest classes out there. Most of psychology is pretty intuitive and easy to understand.

A lot of times the psych 1 course is the hardest in the psych dept, because the college has too many people interested in psych (not enough seats) so they weed out by making psych 1 hard. At my college it was like this. Psych 1 was somewhat challenging, while the upper divs were a joke (e.g., class average of 95%)

I was planning on taking biology lecture and lab II along with elementary French I this coming up semester, but everything didn't go as planned. I barely passed my English and Biology I lecture classes with a C grade for both–in my defense, I was dealing with health issues (which is the reason why I completely failed my biology I lab class; I missed all my labs and 3 exams). Gosh! So, as stated before, I am unable to take biology II. Instead, I'll be taking French, algebra, and intro to psy. I don't want to be overwhelmed with tons of hw (considering I'm taking French and algebra), so I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take intro to psy? What is it like?

Check out something like Grade My Professor. It's going to depend on your school and the professor teaching the specific course. Some Psych classes are easy A's; some are going to have hours of reading and papers due every week.

People at your institution who have taken the course from your professor will be a far better resource to answer this question.
This. Because intro psych at my school is arguably more difficult than or as difficult as gen Chem 1 was.

Any class can be made hard if someone wants. I could make a test in arithmetic hard simply by adding time pressure.