What is it like to be a hospital based podiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soormadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to sdn and wanted some insight on podiatry. I've been shadowing a office based podiatrist for a couple of days and just wanted a different perspective. The podiatrist that I shadow loves what he does but has recommend strongly that I look into md/do because when he graduated a couple years ago a big chunk of his class didn't get residencies. Also, that the residencies do not have the same training/quality (even though it is the same type of residency most do not come out with same level of training) as opposed to one from a medical residency. An example is Internal Medicine (all who graduated are expected to have the same level of training and procedures). Also upon my own research I came across this http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Physician-Podiatry-Salary-Details-New-York-NY.aspx and was wondering how accurate is this from those who practice in new york/tri state area.

And back to my original question/post. I am interested in working in a hospital due to being in a network, working with colleagues, and not running and having to deal with the business aspect of an office. Those working in a hospital how is the lifestyle/hours? Also do you think you get more diverse cases than office based podiatrist?

Thanks. All answers and views appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

While hospital based positions exist, they are VERY few and kind of hard to find. I was disappointed to find this out. Newfeet is a poster on here and he is a hospital based podiatrist, you should PM him. I heard that most hospitals are required to have 5 podiatrists on staff, but that just means that usually those 5 positions are taken up by private practice podiatrists who do their surgeries there (usually once a week).

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
I'm new to sdn and wanted some insight on podiatry. I've been shadowing a office based podiatrist for a couple of days and just wanted a different perspective. The podiatrist that I shadow loves what he does but has recommend strongly that I look into md/do because when he graduated a couple years ago a big chunk of his class didn't get residencies. Also, that the residencies do not have the same training/quality (even though it is the same type of residency most do not come out with same level of training) as opposed to one from a medical residency. An example is Internal Medicine (all who graduated are expected to have the same level of training and procedures). Also upon my own research I came across this http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Physician-Podiatry-Salary-Details-New-York-NY.aspx and was wondering how accurate is this from those who practice in new york/tri state area.

And back to my original question/post. I am interested in working in a hospital due to being in a network, working with colleagues, and not running and having to deal with the business aspect of an office. Those working in a hospital how is the lifestyle/hours? Also do you think you get more diverse cases than office based podiatrist?

All accredited residency programs have to follow strict guidelines set out by the CPME. There curriculum and surgical numbers have to meet the requirements the CPME sets. These guidelines haven't been around forever and are relatively new (early 2000's i believe is when they started really standardizing programs) which would explain why a practicing podiatrist who has been around for awhile might not know of these changes. I know plenty of older podiatrists who had no idea that there were only 2 types of residencies now (from what I've been told it used to be several different types- with some being office based and some being hospital based). That being said, there is still variation among the programs. Some have stronger academics, some see more surgeries. But this variation is no different than any other medical specialty residency programs. In fact, a recent study (which I can't seem to find at this moment) showed that Orthopedic foot and ankle fellowships had a wide variation in the numbers of cases that were performed- with some having numbers so low that they should be called into question.

Reactions: 1 users
Like willingdoc said you can PM me at anytime. It was very difficult to find the position I have now. It took a lot of work. Most hospital based position are not found on podiatry job sites. They are usually found on the MD job pages. I've only been at the hospital so I haven't schedule any surgeries but my clinic is filling up. No matter what you are going to be involved in the billing and coding aspect of medicine. Everyone at my hospital is very nice and helpful when comes to finding my way around the system. Podiatry is within the division of orthopedics in the department of surgery. Chief of Orthopedics was directly involved in my interview and hiring. Podiatry gets referrals not just from orthopedics but from all the departments. I'm also scheduled to give a presentation to help the primary care providers understand what they should be referring to podiatrists.

Hello everyone,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users