1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

What is it like to work in an AMC?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by therapist89, Jul 31, 2015.

1. therapist89

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hi all,

As a rising college junior, I didn't really know about academic medical centers until joining SDN and reading through threads. I was wondering if anyone could please provide perspective on what it is like to work in an AMC: the benefits and challenges, the preparation it takes to get there, what it's like conducting research/doing clinical work, and it how it compares to going straight into academia or working at a CMHC/in private practice.

I apologize if there is already a thread on this and would love to read past posts on this topic if anyone knows of any (I tried to search but only found tangentially related posts.) As I learn more about Clinical Psych a position that would integrate research/academia in a more applied setting sounds appealing to me; however, I may be ignorant of what working in an AMC is actually like and thus would appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.