Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What is "low" GPA...

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by DDS2BE, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    My overal GPA is 3.30 and I also have an F for O.Chem (BS chemistry :) ) I ended up retaking the O.chem and got a B. But still have this @#$% :eek: F on my stranscript. I don't expect getting 27-29 on AA like some other people on this forum, but just wanted to know how good my chances of getting accepted having, say, 21/21

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LetMeIn

LetMeIn Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldnt worry about it. You obviously did much better the second time, and your GPA is decent. 21's on your DAT should get you interviews to a whole bunch of schools. One F in undergrad doesnt make you a bad dentist, and AdComs know this... its your overall package/performance and how you present it that counts. BSc Chem is one of the harder science degrees, I know because I did mine in it, so they'll take that into consideration too.

Apply early and pick your schools well! You'll do just fine! :thumbup:

4. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Thanks for the support.

5. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

If you study the right materials the right way, then your previous F grade will not effect your DAT organic score. Many people have taken the DAT with just half of their organic/gchem completed, and did well. But they studied the DAT a whole lot more to achieve good scores. Your previous exposure to Organic/gchem courses will help you study better, and help you achieve better scores.

6. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Some interviewers may bring up the F in organic in the worst case, but I would not worry about it. Do well in O-chem on the DAT and it may never arise in the interview.

7. Reed1978

Reed1978 Jou Kak is Geboek!
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't sweat the "F" at all. I got an "F" in O-chem (retook it and got a C+), and had a D in biochem (retook it and got a B). I got interview invites from 7/8 schools I applied to, and got accepted at 4/5 schools I interviewed at, and wait listed at the other. My DAT scores weren't off the charts or anything (just over a 19 science, and 17 PAT, 18 QR, 21 RC). I made sure I knew the O-chem section pretty well, and I got 20 on that part on the test.

Only at 1 interview (CWRU) did they ask about the semester when I didn't do so hot in orgo and bc. I just told them that at the time I was competing for a national championship for the Div.I team I was on, and that it was much easier to workout than to study. The interviewer was an athlete too, so he completely understood.

Anyway - you will be fine. Good luck!

8. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yeah, that Biochem was the killer. I got a C+ in that class and should have retaken it, but did not. I ended up retaking O-chem and got a B. What was you GPA, Reed?

9. honestpredent

honestpredent Member
    7+ Year Member

3.30 is average for dental school. Whoever, told you that you might get in with a 3.30 is full of it. You will get into most dental schools if you can get a 20 or higher on the DAT. Really, the only private dental school that you have no chance is Harvard. Aside from Harvard, you can realistically get acceptance into any private dental school you apply to with a high DAT score.

Focus on the DAT and you will get into nearly every dental school you apply to with a 3.30. There are people on this forum that get in with sub 3.0 so you have nothing to worry about.

10. DarcyT

DarcyT Member
    5+ Year Member

honest is correct my overall was 3.09 and i did'nt have a problem getting interviews or acceptance letters.

11. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Thanks guys for your responses. I still have not taken DAT yet, but will take in 2 weeks. My goal is to get 21 for AA. I don't know why 21 got stuck in my head, hopefully that is the number I?m gonna get :), but honestly, I get pretty scared from seeing bunch of people from this forum getting 23-27. My hope is that they represent only minority of the people that do get in dental schools.

12. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

23-27 scores are definitely in the minority. I'd venture to say that a 23-27 is probably less than 2% of test takers...maybe even less than 1%.

13. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, statistically a 24 AA is a 99.5 percentile score. So this board attracts the highest scorers on the DAT.

14. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

24 AA is 99.5 percentile. Anyone know what percentile a 23 AA is? I've just been assuming to this point that a 17 is 50%. Also, do you think a thread that links score and percentile would be a useful thread?

15. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I've seen people posting 23 as still in 99th percentile. I guess it also depends on a section. For example 25 on RQ is a lower percentile than same 25 on biology.

16. rolobear

rolobear Junior Member

I got a 23...the score report says it was 98.4 percentile. Hope that helps.

17. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

rolobear, yup, that helps. thanks.

18. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm talking about AA. Individual sections are different.

19. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

21AA= 96.7 percentile BUT, those percentiles are only good for the 3 month period that you take the test. Schools are not given the percentile you received because they are irrelevant. My buddy got the same Gen chem score as me but my percentile was almost 10 points higher than his. This is because I took the test at a time when very few others were taking it. He took his around mid August which is a very busy time of the apps cycle.