What is MD DO??????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was surfing physician search pages, and kept seeing people with MD DO after their names, as well as the MD's and the DO's. WHat is this?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive never heard of that designation before. However, i do have a friend whos mother was an MD in India and when she came here, she got her DO, but she doesnt use the MDDO des, she uses DO at her practice

jim; most likely you are looking at physicians from the california era the ama try to take over the aoa. the ama allow do's to get an md title as long as they paid a $50 fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the original poster was doing his search for physicians practicing in California, I fail to see how those "MD, DOs" are products of the California Merger in the late 1960s. DOs in that mess who received their MDs (for a fee quite a bit more than just $50, actually) were barred from practice in many hospitals within California as well as having their medical licenses invalidated by the other 49 State Medical Boards. In other words, these "MD, DOs" weren't allowed to practice outside the State of California, and as their dumb luck would have it, they also weren't allowed to practice inside the state.

I can tell you this... At NYCOM we have an APEP (Advanced Placement for Emigrant Physicians) program which accepts foreign trained MD's and with 3 years of training can recieve their DO degree. This affords them a gauranteed residency in this country. Some graduates use M.D. D.O., while others use just M.D. or D.O..