1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What is MD DO??????????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by jimjones, Nov 7, 2001.

1. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was surfing physician search pages, and kept seeing people with MD DO after their names, as well as the MD's and the DO's. WHat is this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gauravvv

7+ Year Member

Ive never heard of that designation before. However, i do have a friend whos mother was an MD in India and when she came here, she got her DO, but she doesnt use the MDDO des, she uses DO at her practice

4. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

jim; most likely you are looking at physicians from the california era the ama try to take over the aoa. the ama allow do's to get an md title as long as they paid a $50 fee.

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless the original poster was doing his search for physicians practicing in California, I fail to see how those "MD, DOs" are products of the California Merger in the late 1960s. DOs in that mess who received their MDs (for a fee quite a bit more than just $50, actually) were barred from practice in many hospitals within California as well as having their medical licenses invalidated by the other 49 State Medical Boards. In other words, these "MD, DOs" weren't allowed to practice outside the State of California, and as their dumb luck would have it, they also weren't allowed to practice inside the state.

6. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

7. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I can tell you this... At NYCOM we have an APEP (Advanced Placement for Emigrant Physicians) program which accepts foreign trained MD's and with 3 years of training can recieve their DO degree. This affords them a gauranteed residency in this country. Some graduates use M.D. D.O., while others use just M.D. or D.O..