What is my chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwtbadtst

Reaction score
I recently took the last DAT. I don't know what happen to my RC score. I felt confident during the exam time but I got such a low score........Should I take another DAT....?
I took DAT 4 times and my scores are
June 2017 / Oct 2017 / Aug 2018 / June 2020
AA____17_________18_________18__________18
PAT___22________23________23_________23
TS____16_________17_________18__________19
BIO___15_________17_________17__________18
GC___16_________18_________20_________21
OC___19_________16_________17__________19
QR___20________22_________19_________20
RC___16_________19_________19__________13

I majored in Biology at the first institution and had GPA 2.5
And I majored in Biochemistry at the second institution and have GPA 3.98.
I have shadowed +100 hours...
I live in east coast, and I am willing to go any place where I get accepted.

what will be my chance to get interview and to get accepted...?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think you stand a good chance this cycle. Since you have taken the DAT 4 times and, I see your improvement, but 13 RC is a red flag to all schools. You might consider a review of your exam score by the test body, since your RC seems extremely low considering your last scores. That aside, you should seriously consider taking the extra year to study, considering this would be your 4th time taking it and 5th time is your last attempt (without special written request)! During studying, spend the extra $ and time to thoroughly go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio/QR, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry/QR review), and barron’s AP biology. Look up multiple strategies for RC, such as search and destroy (but don’t rely on this strategy by itself). And practice on as many RC tests as you can get your hands on. This will bring up your AA/TS. On a recent post in the DAT section, I posted my own personal strategy for RC, since I was initially terrible at this section. I also like DAT crack for PAT and RC, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR, so keep this in mind in your study. At least 3-6 months of hard study imo will do you a world of good! No pain, no gain!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think you stand a good chance this cycle. Since you have taken the DAT 4 times and, I see your improvement, but 13 RC is a red flag to all schools. You might consider a review of your exam score by the test body, since your RC seems extremely low considering your last scores. That aside, you should seriously consider taking the extra year to study, considering this would be your 4th time taking it and 5th time is your last attempt (without special written request)! During studying, spend the extra $ and time to thoroughly go through DAT destroyer (For chem/bio/QR, old copy is fine), chad’s videos (for chemistry/QR review), and barron’s AP biology. Look up multiple strategies for RC, such as search and destroy (but don’t rely on this strategy by itself). And practice on as many RC tests as you can get your hands on. This will bring up your AA/TS. On a recent post in the DAT section, I posted my own personal strategy for RC, since I was initially terrible at this section. I also like DAT crack for PAT and RC, since it wasn’t too intense and gave me a sense for tackling the sections. I liked bootcamp as a final study tool, since the tests are extremely difficult and hit all subjects. I found that the order of importance in the eyes of schools for the different scores is AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR, so keep this in mind in your study. At least 3-6 months of hard study imo will do you a world of good! No pain, no gain!

Will it be possible to get RC score up by 90days? (since retake takes 90days after the previous one..)
I was thinking to retake the DAT around late Sept. and apply for this cycle. Do you think that this is too risky?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it be possible to get RC score up by 90days? (since retake takes 90days after the previous one..)
I was thinking to retake the DAT around late Sept. and apply for this cycle. Do you think that this is too risky?
Yes, given your situation. I would suggest doing an exhaustive study for the DAT, which honestly could take up to 6 months at a reasonable pace, unless you‘re willing to study 5-10 hours seriously everyday with limited breaks for 90 days. In your situation, I personally would take the year off applying to study hard, because you need a total change in your study routine/strategies/materials given that you’ve taken the test 4x with only a 1 point improvement in your AA.

You've pretty much pegged yourself with the DAT with taking it four times in a three-year window, and a DAT retake isn't going to help you, no matter how high you score on it. Many schools eliminate applicants who take the DAT with a high number of prior attempts.

You've pretty much pegged yourself with the DAT with taking it four times in a three-year window, and a DAT retake isn't going to help you, no matter how high you score on it. Many schools eliminate applicants who take the DAT with a high number of prior attempts.

You mean retaking DAT would not help? so then what do you recommend to do..any advise..?

You mean retaking DAT would not help? so then what do you recommend to do..any advise..?
He may be correct on this. I was searching for a rare success story of a dental student taking the exam 5 times with acceptance and could not find one. If you have taken the prerequisites already and have a bachelors, there are many other great health professions that you probably meet the requirements for right now (Optometry/pharmacy?). Just obviously don’t make the same mistake if there is an entrance exam, take the time and use all the resources available to you.