What Is Postural Syndrome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTASTUDENT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided to do this speech on Postural Syndrome, I interviewed a few therapists about it, had no trouble finding it on google, but im required to use at least 2 books and for some reason its not in them, i asked the teacher and he referred me to the libararys resource database, i think he was mad because the paper is due tonight, but i couldnt find it there either and the librarian herself could not find it, so im wondering if it goes by other names?

Members don't see this ad.

I've also heard it called Forward Head Syndrome/Posture. Not sure if that's helpful. Good luck!

Try looking it up under the McKenzie method. I'm a first year DPT student and we are learning the 3 McKenzie "syndromes" and postural is one of them. Its basically just forward head posture, rounded shoulder posture etc. but not to the point that the patient would be in so much pain they would visit a PT for tx. Prob not the easiest topic to write about but I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definition of Posture according to Webster: "the position or bearing of the body whether characteristic or assumed for a special purpose"

Definition of Syndrome according to Webster: "a group of signs and symptoms that occur together and characterize a particular abnormality or condition"

I'm assuming you're using it in the context of a diagnosis or classification of someone related to pain?

If so, then really the best definition is what is stated above...

"a group of s/s that occur together and characterize a particular abnormality or condition as related to the position or bearing of the body whether characteristic or assumed for a special purpose"

So, in layman's terms, it would basically be the onset of symptoms (typically pain) due to a particular posture - this does not particularly have to be FHP, rounded shoulders, etc as stated by others, but could be ANY posture that the patient sustains that causes their onset of symptoms - and typically this would occur only w/ this particular posture in a sustained state.

Yes, McKenzie uses this as one of his classifications, and states it is rarely the cause of spine/back pain, however I would disagree, especially in todays society where adolescents are growing up with the constant use of technology - sitting at computers, TVs, video games for several hours.

A great example of a current patient I had was an 18 yo female who's primary complaint w/ neck pain, which seemed to come on after sewing or reading. Well after questioning her further, it seemed she really liked to sew, or she would do all of her reading at 1 time, and would be doing the tasks for hours at a time. Her neck pain was at approx C6/7, where when she sewed or read, she flexed her neck significantly, and she fulcrumed at this position considerably. I would say her neck pain was due to a "postural syndrome" brought on by remaining in a sustained cervical flexion position.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, don't just think of this in terms of the spine.

A couple of other examples include (again teenagers)...

1) Patient, forearm/elbow/wrist pain, presented much like lateral/medial epicondylitis (can't remember which); upon significant questioning, and after several treatments in which she returned with no change, I found out her symptoms were stemming from PROLONGED playing of Guitar Hero (3-4 hours at a time). Once we limited playing time, her symptoms went away.

2) Patient, bil knee pain, primarily c/o pain following prolonged standing or prolonged sitting. Upon observation, it was seen that the patient during standing demonstrated significant hyperextension bil. Then with further questioning, when she sat in class, she propper her feet up on the chair in front of her, again her knee hyperextended. So we educated her on this and her pain went away.

3) Patient presented w/ TMJ pain. Patient presented w/ bruxism (grinding teeth) basically all the time. I instructed her in some relaxation techniques, educated her on this, and she got >50% relief alone in just a few days when she was informed of this.

Remember, posture isn't just spine posture. It plays a part in most, if not all musculoskeletal injuries. You can be the best at understanding symptoms, and treating a patient, but if you don't understand what is causing this patient to have their (typically) chronic symptoms, because of course, you as the PT are the last course of treatment is many cases, then your treatments will not last and be successful.

Last edited:
Look into Janda's upper and lower crossed syndromes. May help lead you in the right direction! Good luck!

It's also in one of McKenzie's books. I think it was called Lumbar spine... I own it, but I just don't know where it is currently.

Wow, very interesting, rcheeley. Thanks!

?

Postal syndrome is resulteing pain, this syndrome physotherepiest find out the pain from the body and how much time before it occure, this only occure in neck or any muscle 's area.