What is right for me? RN or Sonography?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowy_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being accepted to my nursing program I had almost 2 years of hiccups, half my fault and half the schools fault. I was so sickened by the outcome (having to drop and reapply this September) that I lost all motivation for becoming a nurse. Suddenly the things I was nervous about (finding a vein for IV's , being solely responsible for life, etc) I no longer had the enthusiasm to pump myself up for. I thought this was a sign I should look into something else.

Sonography seems like a great career, I would still get to work in healthcare with pregnant women and babies (the entire reason I wanted to get into nursing) and I would be working with computers and technology, which is what my life has revolved around since I was 10.
I realized this too late as the classes I need to take to apply were filled, and they are also classes to be taken in succession. So if I were to take them for spring 2015 semester, I would still need another semester to finish the prereqs- putting me not at next year's fall acceptance but the year FOLLOWING that.

It's looking like I would be starting the sonography program in fall 2016 or see if I can get back my motivation for nursing and start spring 2015. I want to have a real job, a career I am proud of. I work a job from home that I hate now, but it allows me time at home for my children.

Are my concerns for nursing a sign that I shouldn't go that route? I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

After being accepted to my nursing program I had almost 2 years of hiccups, half my fault and half the schools fault. I was so sickened by the outcome (having to drop and reapply this September) that I lost all motivation for becoming a nurse. Suddenly the things I was nervous about (finding a vein for IV's , being solely responsible for life, etc) I no longer had the enthusiasm to pump myself up for. I thought this was a sign I should look into something else.

Sonography seems like a great career, I would still get to work in healthcare with pregnant women and babies (the entire reason I wanted to get into nursing) and I would be working with computers and technology, which is what my life has revolved around since I was 10.
I realized this too late as the classes I need to take to apply were filled, and they are also classes to be taken in succession. So if I were to take them for spring 2015 semester, I would still need another semester to finish the prereqs- putting me not at next year's fall acceptance but the year FOLLOWING that.

It's looking like I would be starting the sonography program in fall 2016 or see if I can get back my motivation for nursing and start spring 2015. I want to have a real job, a career I am proud of. I work a job from home that I hate now, but it allows me time at home for my children.

Are my concerns for nursing a sign that I shouldn't go that route? I don't know what to do.

I definitely don't think your concerns about nursing are a sign that you shouldn't pursue sonography. However I would recommend you investigate both sonography and nursing further. What is the salary difference? Do you have student loans or other debt that you will need to pay off? What about lifestyle? Perhaps try to shadow both a sonography tech and a nurse. It is possible that getting some experience first hand will reignite your passion for nursing or show you sonography is in fact the route you want to take. Also, keep in mind that many nursing skills are gained with practice. Almost everyone is nervous about things like inserting IVs/catheters etc. but that becomes less nerve-racking over time. And you are never solely responsible for a patient's life. You will always have fellow nurses, a nurse manager/superior, and advanced practitioners (NPs, PAs, MDs) there to help you so please don't let that hold you back if nursing is something you are very interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to work very closely with sonographers for a few years before med school and it is a very good career. If it seems interesting and you like imaging technology then I say go for it. I think it sounds like it actually might make a good fit for you. Most of the ones I work with made around $60-65k FYI, but I think the senior sonographers made a little more. It was shift work like nursing, but they did have to rotate taking call.

Given that this is a forum for medical students, I don't think you'll get good advice here about whether to pursue a nursing degree. Same goes for sonography, with which most people here have only a superficial understanding of. My advice is to talk to actual nurses regarding your concerns. Or consider becoming a nurse midwife if you are interested in pregnant women and babies.

Also, sonographers do ultrasounds on all sorts of things, not just pregnant women unless you are at a large institution with enough steady volume to not have to do abdominal, pelvic, testicular or breast US as well (among other body parts).

While sonography pays well and certainly is far less stressful than being an RN, I don't think you can do much to 'move up' as a sonographer. There are many, many opportunities in nursing to do something entirely different, make more money, gain more education, etc. Think about your career as a whole and what trajectory you would like it to take. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Ah sorry, I wasn't sure where to post. I know sonography isn't all babies and children, and I have no qualms about scanning any areas of the body.
I do like the aspect of continuing education and being able to change it up quite a bit with nursing, but I have spoken to a few real nurses lately who all hate their jobs and lecture about "burn out." The last nurse I talked to quit an absolute DREAM job of many, but she said the stress was indescribable. I hear it from both sides, that people can't imagine being older and still being a nurse and also that people would get so bored with sonography as there isn't much to expand on.
I don't know any sonographers personally, but I have had many scans over the past year or so due to my baby's issues. They always seem calm and happy, and also they were petite like me. That's one more thing I worry about for both professions, being petite I can't lift large people if need be.
I am so split down the middle right now. All of your input is very much appreciated though, thank you!!

I think what many mean when they say that they can't imagine being older and "still being a nurse" is specifically being a bedside nurse, especially in a med/surg setting. Yes, there are many older RNs at the bedside, being there for their entire careers, however as mentioned, nursing has many options and areas of practice. You'll still be a nurse, but you don't have to be a med/surg RN for your entire career. Whether it's in a specialty, clinic, research, advanced practice, management, public health, academics, etc, there are many options available in nursing.

Sonography sounds interesting, but yes, as others have mentioned, there really isn't any room for advancement, besides I'm assuming some sort of leadership within that department (like a chief sonographer or something). Perhaps it would be best to ask actual sonographers how they feel about their profession, since this is all coming from outsiders, including myself.

You mentioned that you were already in a BSN program (did you start the clinical portion of the program or were you in prereqs?), so there must be some interest in nursing already there. The things you mention are normal things to be nervous about. You will have training not only in nursing school, but also as part of your orientation in your first job as far as clinical skills. They won't just let you loose on your own just like that :). Also, as someone mentioned, you will always have the support of your coworkers and nurse manager. It's expected that you will go to your more experienced colleagues, as well as reference texts, when you encounter things you are not familiar with/are having difficulty with (this includes skills). Oh and you won't have to lift large people by yourself. Some units have an actual lift to use, while in other cases you work with your coworkers if a patient needs to be moved for some reason.

I'm not petite, and I refuse to lift patients in an unsafe manner. Job description says lift up to 45 pounds, and that means you take a 400 pound patient and divide up their weight by 45 pounds.... Thats roughly 8 people in there to lift or else get a mechanical lift. You report to occupational health every time you hurt your back, and changes are made on the administrative level. Female nurse comes to me and says she needs a male to lift a patient (which never happens) and the response is "get a few more friends and we can do this". Frankly, even a male nurse is no match for an obese patient, so being small is rarely an issue for a nurse. Besides, you could skip medical surgical and go work in a peds, neonatal, obgyn, surgical, psyche unit, or work in an ER or ccu where there is staffing that is appropriate and easily accessible. Dealing with a large patient really is more a matter of technique and not strength. If they can't get out of bed to use a toilet, they use a bedpan. If they have orders to walk and can't get up to walk, you put in the chart that they couldn't get up to walk and the provider takes that into consideration. There are plenty of things that don't get done because if limitations on what can be done at that time. So being small shouldn't hold you up.

Sonography seems more laid back compared to nursing. You just need to check it out for yourself. I like the hustle and bustle of nursing, and the money and benefits are turning out to be fantastic. It's easy to obtain shifts or cut back if you need. At east where I'm at, there are opportunities to advance or move around to different departments. The stress level can be really high, though. But typically on nights, things tend to be a bit more laid back. One thing about nursing... You literally are a servant to your patients. You aren't there to perform a procedure and leave. You spend 12 and a half hours a day doing your best to meet their needs. You have help, but ultimately, you answer for what goes on. If you need lunch, but things are crashing for a patient or two, you take care of them first. If you aren't in the mood to be social, too bad. You can walk in to work and be handed a very difficult day and realize you have 12 hours of struggle in front of you. If that is your Monday, you could end up with 2 more days like that. I work 4 shifts a week, and have had 4 crummy shifts in a row. But for me, I like the challenge. I've worked on the sidelines in healthcare, and it was a better job, but it didn't provide the challenge I was looking for.