what is "science gpa"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisit350

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

sorry, i know this might be a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out what is my "science gpa"? Im looking at one of the pdf's of my application that I sent off with AADSAS, and the only two sciences I see are "Behavioral Science" and "Other Science". Does anybody know which of these are my "Science GPA". Also, I thought there was supposed to be a BCP gpa too?? Didn't see that on there..

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA is essentially every class you've ever taken with a biology, physics, or chemistry prefix. Medical schools include math as a science but dental schools do not. Essentially your BCP GPA is your science gpa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Your science GPA is essentially every class you've ever taken with a biology, physics, or chemistry prefix. Medical schools include math as a science but dental schools do not. Essentially your BCP GPA is your science gpa.

Actually, your science GPA is separate from BCP.

When your transcripts are in, your GPA is chopped up about 1000 different ways, including overall, BCP, science, non-science, freshman-senior, graduate, etc.

So science is its own category.

It includes anything that is hard STEM, not just BCP. For example, calculus and comp sci are included. On the other hand, econ is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, your science GPA is separate from BCP.

When your transcripts are in, your GPA is chopped up about 1000 different ways, including overall, BCP, science, non-science, freshman-senior, graduate, etc.

So science is its own category.

It includes anything that is hard STEM, not just BCP. For example, calculus and comp sci are included. On the other hand, econ is not.
oh ok. I just see people on here talking about their overall gpa, and their science gpa. i guess our science gpa is just something that we calculate ourselves?

Dr. Pettite, the admissions coordinator at UNC CH specifically told me the only GPA most dental schools care about is BCP. She specifically said and I quote "we could care less what you got in art history, we care about science"

oh ok. I just see people on here talking about their overall gpa, and their science gpa. i guess our science gpa is just something that we calculate ourselves?
They'll calculate it for you when you submit your transcripts, but before then, you can do it yourself just by googling the aadsas formula (including both versions of any repeated classes).

hey guys,

sorry, i know this might be a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out what is my "science gpa"? Im looking at one of the pdf's of my application that I sent off with AADSAS, and the only two sciences I see are "Behavioral Science" and "Other Science". Does anybody know which of these are my "Science GPA". Also, I thought there was supposed to be a BCP gpa too?? Didn't see that on there..
Is your transcript fully verified? Since there should be two full pages of gpas, the first page has gpas for bio, chem, physics, biochem separately and then your bcpm as well as science gpa and non science gpa, the second page had behavioral science and other science as well as English which I assume that is what you're looking at but there's an additional page

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Pettite, the admissions coordinator at UNC CH specifically told me the only GPA most dental schools care about is BCP. She specifically said and I quote "we could care less what you got in art history, we care about science"

That may be the case, but "science GPA" for dental schools absolutely includes math. BCP does not, but that's considered a separate GPA than your science GPA, as mentioned above.

Is your transcript fully verified? Since there should be two full pages of gpas, the first page has gpas for bio, chem, physics, biochem separately and then your bcpm as well as science gpa and non science gpa, the second page had behavioral science and other science as well as English which I assume that is what you're looking at but there's an additional page
THANK YOU!! that is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know how I didn't notice there was a second page. lol, not that I'm actually happy with what I saw.. but still it's good to know.

That may be the case, but "science GPA" for dental schools absolutely includes math. BCP does not, but that's considered a separate GPA than your science GPA, as mentioned above.

Do you think math classes in the psych department would count towards sgpa?

Ex) "Reasoning in Psychology using Statistics"

I don't think they didn't counted a class in my science GPA that they counted for behavioral science. Really weird...I'm sssuming science GPA is all hard science classes and math classes