1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What is Shadowing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Intrepidation, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Intrepidation

Intrepidation I wear PASG underwear
    7+ Year Member

I am relatively new to the world of 'being a premed' although i have yearned to be a doc for quite some time. From what i have read shadowing is following around a doc for what? one day? What is the sheer purpose of this?
    Does it look good on applications to shadow every field of medicine you can find? I am intrested in Family Medicine, so would it be good to shadow a Family Doc for a day? Do they write letters of recommendation for you? Please fill me in on all the details of shadowing. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I shadowed a pediatric oncologist and his med students a number of times to see what this specialty career would be like. This is my field of interest and I wanted to know if I could handle it emotionally. I know I have a long time before I would be making a choice about my specialty but I wanted to know what it was like.

I would follow the doc around as he vistied his patients. It was quite interesting.

I did put this experience in my personal essay simply to show my ongoing interest in the field of cancer. Cancer is my personal reason behind my drive to become a doctor.

I did not get a recomendation letter for this. I had enough letters for the other volunteering I've done for the past 2 1/2 years.

After shadowing I did look for a way to help out in the cancer center. I wanted to do as much as I could to help the patients so I become a volunteer in the cancer and now I bring refreshments to the people receiving treatments.

If you want to shadow, use it as an opportunity to see what a doctor's day entails. It is good insight into your future career.
    :)

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You might want to consider shadowing a DO, in your case seeing you're a TCOM hopeful.... then possibly get a letter of rec. The point of "shadowing" is that you have an understanding of what goes on in a daily life of a doctor and then you can ask yourself if this is what you really want to do for the rest of your life.... I guess it shows the adcoms that you've done your homework and you're still serious about medicine.

BTW, it's a heck of a lot easier to answer a "Practice Vision" type question on your secondaries if you'd shadow a doc that you want to become some day....

5. emdeetwobee

emdeetwobee Member
    7+ Year Member

Unlike most, I don't have any relatives or close associates who are doctors. I tried asking for shadowing opportunities while I volunteered hoping to get recs later on. But the doctors would always say stuff about patient privacy and liability. The secretaries are the worst... I just plain hate them. I come up front nicely dressed, CV in hand and ask if I could speak to the chief resident, and when I mentioned shadowing, she just flat out rejected me. Some of my other friends tell me that if I had done research with a faculty doctor, I would've had more opportunity.

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The way I got to shadow was through a doctor I have volunteered with for the past two years at a free clinic. I told him I was interested in seeing what a pediatric oncologist did and he gave me the name of one of his co-workers at the med school hospital. He offered to call that doctor and let him know that I was going to be contacting him.

If you already volunteer in a clinical setting with other doctors, ask them who they would recommend you shadow. :cool: :cool: