What is so difficult about Foreign Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarpeDiem253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, in a nutshell I was going through significant personal issues during my undergrad, which distracted me from doing well in my science courses. I believe I have corrected my mishaps and am a serious student, but unfortunately the damage has been done. With a 2.34uGPA, and many repeats in my pre-med courses, it seems as if my only hope is Caribbean Medical Schools. I do not mind relocating to the Caribbean, but why is the drop out rate so high? If I get a 3.5 in my pre-med GPA, does this not prove that I can handle the rigorous curriculum at the Caribbean?

Do Caribbean Medical Schools do grade replacement? What are good stats of GPA/MCAT for students that got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking the Caribbean route is no longer recommended due to the increasing difficulty of those graduates to find residency positions here in the US. I was reading a thread in the pre-osteo forum the other day, and one of the posters that was applying to AZCOM (DO school in Arizona) was a carribean medical school graduate. So he has an MD degree, but hasn't been able to land a (catagorical) residency position, and so is seriously planning to go through school AGAIN as an american medical graduate in order to get into residency. This is becoming more and more common (foreign medical school graduates not able to get into residency) as the number of US medical graduates increases, since the number of residency positions are not increasing.

Reactions: 1 users
The person above me is speaking the truth. I'm currently helping another Carib grad (top school too) get into med school stateside at a DO school. Their friend couldn't get a residency for 4 years. These are common stories. The grads who couldn't get a residency may not be the majority, but that number is increasing rapidly.

When you go to medical school you are competing for spots 4 years from now. In the last 2 years, a lot has changed. You are gambling, OP. But to give you something more concrete to ponder: A lot of the grads who couldn't get spots are not necessarily horrifically bad students. They may have failed a single course or a single exam. But that failure, in addition to their school's reputation, counts as 2 red flags which is enough to sink you. There are also factors beyond your control, such as your rotations. You won't be rubbing shoulders with big wigs in medicine. The hospitals vary in quality significantly, and the best ones in NYC like Beth Israel don't even allow Carib grads to do electives there.

American grads can overcome a red flag, but you already have one before you even try. Medical school is hard enough without having to prove your academic prowess when you have a history of poor academics.

Also, read @Goro's comments about Carib grads. He is an adcom and refers to them as rejects. This shows that you cannot simply escape being a Carib grad, even if you want to repeat medical school. I can totally understand why - who would you pick, a new student who might succeed or a Carib grad who couldn't get a residency? It's really sad for people with 200k in debt who may have already passed the boards, but they are still not more competitive than 21 year old premeds. This is life after graduating from a Carib school. My advice? Don't go. There are no shortcuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what really pisses us off at DO schools; many of these kids could have gotten into a DO school, but noooooooo, they wanted the MD after the name.

So now, they made their decision, and they have to live with it. I want students who want to be doctors, and don't care about the initials.

OP, the fastest route for you is to retake all F/D/C science coursework and utilize AACOMAS' grade replacement policy.

If you're still boning for the MD, a post-bac or SMP is in order. Plus acing the MCAT (>33).

Also, read Goro's comments about Carib grads. He is an adcom and refers to them as rejects. This shows that you cannot simply escape being a Carib grad, even if you want to repeat medical school. I can totally understand why - who would you pick, a new student who might succeed or a Carib grad who couldn't get a residency? It's really sad for people with 200k in debt who may have already passed the boards, but they are still not more competitive than 21 year old premeds. This is life after graduating from a Carib school. My advice? Don't go. There are no shortcuts.

Reactions: 7 users
Goro is always carpet bombing SDN witg truth

He saved this ms1 from applying Carribean and i couldn't be happier

Reactions: 10 users
Hello, in a nutshell I was going through significant personal issues during my undergrad, which distracted me from doing well in my science courses. I believe I have corrected my mishaps and am a serious student, but unfortunately the damage has been done. With a 2.34uGPA, and many repeats in my pre-med courses, it seems as if my only hope is Caribbean Medical Schools. I do not mind relocating to the Caribbean, but why is the drop out rate so high? If I get a 3.5 in my pre-med GPA, does this not prove that I can handle the rigorous curriculum at the Caribbean?

Do Caribbean Medical Schools do grade replacement? What are good stats of GPA/MCAT for students that got accepted?

where are you seeing an accurate, high, drop out rate?

Certainly some drop out. However, my impression from Carib grads is that getting forced out is a much bigger contributor to the # who leave with nothing but debt to show for their efforts. Also, it's hard to learn anything when the teaching sucks -- some instructors are fine, I know, but I've heard horror stories of ones who were unintelligible and had no syllabus/guide for the course. Those individuals I do know who managed to succeed at matching in spite of their education there are incredibly self motivated individuals who basically taught themselves.

...fyi, just as life circumstances threw you a curveball i'm undergrad, unexpected things can happen in med school -- with the added stress of greater distance (literally and effectively) from home support systems. When you hiccup in response to life at these places, they don't hold your hand but instead hold you back & ask for more $.

Like I tell everyone else in the sub-3.0 GPA crowd, you are the kind of candidate who could really benefit from taking advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy. If you're serious about going to medical school, this is the fastest and easiest way to make your stats competitive to apply to American med schools. Without having ever tried to get into an American school, you shouldn't even be contemplating going to the Caribbean. That's the kind of high risk, high reward gamble that MAYBE people who score well on standardized tests and have failed on multiple attempts to get into an American school even with grade rehabilitation MIGHT want to consider. And even then, they should think twice.

Reactions: 1 users

As Goro, Q, and others have said, the Carib is a terrible idea. More discussion of this in the links below.
Retake your bad grades and apply DO. If you have any interest in practicing medicine in the US this is the best way.
Best of luck.

This here is OPs issue and OP understands about grade replacement.

OP how many credits do you have? Also, how many credits of bad grades did your get? (please give a GPA)

I am sorry if this is prying, but I think we will all understand your situation and better help you if you can answer the question. What I really want to say here you can go to medical school here and don't need to go to the Caribbean. However, if its 100 credits of D's or below, then it won't be remedied with just 2 years of retakes. Unless you are in straight A mode for two years, it will take you a while longer.

You're currently at a 3.5 premed-GPA, you should not be satisfied with this. You can aim higher than this!

Last edited:
I completed 199 units at a UC school with a 2.34 GPA. I went to a quarter system so general chem is labeled Chem A, Chem B, Chem C

*these classes taken at a UC from 2003-2010
Chem 1A- D/B (repeated)
Chem 1C- F/C (repeated)
Bio A- F (have not repeated yet or taken last two quarters)
Ochem A- F, D (repeated) must take for a third time & have not taken last two quarters
Calc A- C
Calc B- D/B+ (repeated)

*these classes taken at a community college from 2013-2014
Human Anatomy- A
Microbiology- A
Human Physiology - A
Integrated Chem, OChem, Biochem - B
Human Development - A

I have not finished the series of General Biology, and need to finish one quarter of Calculus, no units in physics, or/and biochemistry completed. I have more failed courses (Cultural Anthropology, Human Sexuality, etc), but just listed my science courses. Since I have a 2.34 gpa in my undergraduate degree (not including post-bac work), I have to take about 125 semesters units to get my cumulative undergrad GPA to 3.0. How does grade replacement for DO schools work? Should I only repeat my science/pre-med courses? Or do I also need to re-take all other classes I got failing grades in (anthropology, human sexuality)?

I am at a fork in the road. I feel I have three options: settle for one of the nursing schools that I am accepted to, re-take all my pre-med courses and apply abroad, or do a second bachelor's degree to re-mediate my GPA and apply to DO schools. I am leaning towards the last two because I do not feel passionate for nursing and am not being academically fulfilled doing the nursing track. While I was in undergrad I was in an abusive relationship, that led to deep emotional scars, and led me to have PTSD. It was a long road to recovery and I feel with my experience, and hard lessons learned, I would be an asset to Addiction Psychiatry. I consider myself a late-bloomer. I am not worried about tuition cost because I have veterans benefits that covers in-state-tuition. I am just worried about being about 42 before I start having any real income. I'm 29 and it seems as if I have to do four years of post-bac work, get a Special Master's Program, apply to DO schools, and residency. I have no kids, am single, and have a lot of support from my family.

I have not finished the series of General Biology, and need to finish one quarter of Calculus, no units in physics, or/and biochemistry completed. I have more failed courses (Cultural Anthropology, Human Sexuality, etc), but just listed my science courses. Since I have a 2.34 gpa in my undergraduate degree (not including post-bac work), I have to take about 125 semesters units to get my cumulative undergrad GPA to 3.0. How does grade replacement for DO schools work? Should I only repeat my science/pre-med courses? Or do I also need to re-take all other classes I got failing grades in (anthropology, human sexuality)?

http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf
Pg 21, 2nd paragraph: Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in the GPA calculation
Retaking any course for a better grade will improve your AACOMAS gpa.

I am at a fork in the road. I feel I have three options: settle for one of the nursing schools that I am accepted to, re-take all my pre-med courses and apply abroad, or do a second bachelor's degree to re-mediate my GPA and apply to DO schools. I am leaning towards the last two because I do not feel passionate for nursing and am not being academically fulfilled doing the nursing track. While I was in undergrad I was in an abusive relationship, that led to deep emotional scars, and led me to have PTSD. It was a long road to recovery and I feel with my experience, and hard lessons learned, I would be an asset to Addiction Psychiatry. I consider myself a late-bloomer. I am not worried about tuition cost because I have veterans benefits that covers in-state-tuition. I am just worried about being about 42 before I start having any real income. I'm 29 and it seems as if I have to do four years of post-bac work, get a Special Master's Program, apply to DO schools, and residency. I have no kids, am single, and have a lot of support from my family.
1) It sounds like you have been, and I hope you're continuing to see a psychiatrist for this. If you're not, then get over to the VA asap. PTSD of any flavor is no joke.
2) If nursing doesn't float your boat, then there's no reason to pursue it. The road to medicine may be a long and trying one, but it's not impossible.
3) Don't apply abroad unless you want to stay abroad. And don't make everybody repeat themselves to talk you out of it. Go back and read what's already been said to you and others on this topic.

I have recovered from PTSD six years ago, which is my reasoning for poor grades in 2004-2005. As of 2014, I have been doing well in my classes.

Thank you all for the advice. It was greatly appreciated!

I completed 199 units at a UC school with a 2.34 GPA. I went to a quarter system so general chem is labeled Chem A, Chem B, Chem C

*these classes taken at a UC from 2003-2010
Chem 1A- D/B (repeated)
Chem 1C- F/C (repeated)
Bio A- F (have not repeated yet or taken last two quarters)
Ochem A- F, D (repeated) must take for a third time & have not taken last two quarters
Calc A- C
Calc B- D/B+ (repeated)

*these classes taken at a community college from 2013-2014
Human Anatomy- A
Microbiology- A
Human Physiology - A
Integrated Chem, OChem, Biochem - B
Human Development - A

Helps a great deal. If you are going DO and can get around a 3.5-4.0 for the next two years (assuming you retake all C grades or lower and with a 15 credit load), I could definitely see you getting over a 3.0 GPA with grade replacement. Kraskadva has helped explain the grade replacement and what it will take from you to pursue medicine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think you can tough it out in med school if you can't get a decent grade in a BCPM class after retakes?

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/374000/03212014.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pets-to-carribean-med-school.1082097/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/university-of-west-indies.1095856/

[url]http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf
Pg 21, 2nd paragraph: Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in the GPA calculation
Retaking any course for a better grade will improve your AACOMAS gpa.

1) It sounds like you have been, and I hope you're continuing to see a psychiatrist for this. If you're not, then get over to the VA asap. PTSD of any flavor is no joke.
2) If nursing doesn't float your boat, then there's no reason to pursue it. The road to medicine may be a long and trying one, but it's not impossible.
3) Don't apply abroad unless you want to stay abroad. And don't make everybody repeat themselves to talk you out of it. Go back and read what's already been said to you and others on this topic.

@kraskadva : thanks for the info !! excellent thread !! :thumbup::thumbup:[/URL]

Freshmen GPA - 2.338
Sophomore GPA- 2.026
Junior GPA- 1.814
Senior GPA- 3.050
Total Undergrad GPA 2.38
Science GPA (DO calculation w/o ) -2.214
Post-Bacc GPA- 3.5
What makes you think you can tough it out in med school if you can't get a decent grade in a BCPM class after retakes?
Helps a great deal. If you are going DO and can get around a 3.5-4.0 for the next two years (assuming you retake all C grades or lower and with a 15 credit load), I could definitely see you getting over a 3.0 GPA with grade replacement. Kraskadva has helped explain the grade replacement and what it will take from you to pursue medicine. Good luck.
Thank you so much!!

What makes you think a mature-nontraditional student can not change their study habits? Are you same type of learner you were ten years ago? My poor grades were not a clear reflection of my academic abilities. I was dealing with significant personal issues, i.e. undiagnose-PTSD, during my undergraduate years. I have not failed a class since dealing with these issues and have a 3.5 gpa post-bac. I think that is a clear indication and great start of my ability as a student in their late-20s. I have a long way to go, but it's not accurate to say that it cannot be done.

To everyone else, thank you for the support & advice! I am not going to "settle" for Caribbean and am going to apply DO medical schools even if I have to do a Special Master's Program.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't say it couldn't be done. I just think that you're sinking yourself in a hole by having to retake classes for a 2nd or 3rd time. It's not really confidence inspiring. There's a big difference between doing poorly in a few classes and retaking them and acing them and ending up having to retake again. While you're doing much better now, you're getting a 3.5 in classes where you're seeing the material for a 3rd or 4th time.

I feel like you're going to have to do a hardcore SMP at a school that favors its own program for med school admissions if you want a shot at a US MD school (at all) and you'd have to do that even to get a shot at a DO school IMHO.

Grade replacement might help the BCPM classes, but are you going to retake all the gen eds as well?

But go ahead and prove me wrong. It'd be my pleasure to eat my hat!
Good luck!

Last edited:
I didn't say it couldn't be done. I just think that you're sinking yourself in a hole by having to retake classes for a 2nd or 3rd time. It's not really confidence inspiring. There's a big difference between doing poorly in a few classes and retaking them and acing them and ending up having to retake again. While you're doing much better now, you're getting a 3.5 in classes where you're seeing the material for a 3rd or 4th time.

I feel like you're going to have to do a hardcore SMP at a school that favors its own program for med school admissions if you want a shot at a US MD school (at all) and you'd have to do that even to get a shot at a DO school IMHO.

Grade replacement might help the BCPM classes, but are you going to retake all the gen eds as well?

But go ahead and prove me wrong. It'd be my pleasure to eat my hat!
Good luck!

Not sure what you mean because he has shown his classes for 2013-2014 where he only had one B amongst all of them, and they were all new and some harder. So I think he has the potential.

Not sure what you mean because he has shown his classes for 2013-2014 where he only had one B amongst all of them, and they were all new and some harder. So I think he has the potential.
Actually, that's not entirely clear...that B was listed for "Integrated Chem, OChem, Biochem"...is that 1 class or 3? If it's one, then OP may have to retake that anyway, since it might not count for the pre-req. And OP had already sat through at least the first part of orgo twice before.

Not to say it's impossible, but it will be a long and difficult slog to remediate all the previous poor grades.

Actually, that's not entirely clear...that B was listed for "Integrated Chem, OChem, Biochem"...is that 1 class or 3? If it's one, then OP may have to retake that anyway, since it might not count for the pre-req. And OP had already sat through at least the first part of orgo twice before.

Not to say it's impossible, but it will be a long and difficult slog to remediate all the previous poor grades.

Agree with you that it was not all the classes considering the 3.5 (I think the integrated class is one class, then again I might be jumping to conclusions). I guess what I wanted to say that not all OPs classes are retakes and he has A's in science classes he has not taken before (unless I am assuming wrong). He has a loooong way to go, I could definitely see it taking 2 years at least.

Integrate Chem, Ochem, Biochem was a four unit required class for Nursing Schools. I have gotten into every Accelerated Nursing program I have applied to.

As of now, I'm strictly applying to DO Medical Schools with the help of a Special Master's program, hopefully one with a linkage to a DO school. I highly doubt I have any chance at a US MD School. I'm going to re-take most pre-med requirements and some general eds that I did not poorly in.

Just like that one person that gets into HMS with a 3.5 and a 30 doesn't mean that everyone with those stats has a great shot there, one good semester/year after multiple bad ones doesn't mean that it's someone's true potential. You have to prove that you've broken a track record. Luckily the time differential is in your favor, but you'll have to do really well on the MCAT to prove it.

My words here are not meant to discourage the OP, but just to put things into perspective for someone that wanted to take a shortcut and puddle jump to a carib school.

Generally speaking the Caribbean route is no longer recommended due to the increasing difficulty of those graduates to find residency positions here in the US. I was reading a thread in the pre-osteo forum the other day, and one of the posters that was applying to AZCOM (DO school in Arizona) was a carribean medical school graduate. So he has an MD degree, but hasn't been able to land a (catagorical) residency position, and so is seriously planning to go through school AGAIN as an american medical graduate in order to get into residency. This is becoming more and more common (foreign medical school graduates not able to get into residency) as the number of US medical graduates increases, since the number of residency positions are not increasing.
that's not going to help any, all DO and MD residencies are combing starting 2015 with a completion date of 2020. better off doing a transitional year or pre lim.

Last edited:
that's not going to help any, all DO and MD residencies are combing starting 2015 with a completion date of 2020. better off doing a transitional year or pre lim.

He's applying to both DO and transitional/pre lim.

Yes, combining into a system regulated by 1 body - the ACGME.

@DermViser @MSmentor018 Why is the MD/DO residency merger bad for Carib grads who want to repeat medical school at a DO school? Repeating medical schools allows them to become recent American grads with a new set of board scores (In the form of COMLEX - I understand USMLE cannot be retaken after passing it). What I'm unclear on is how combining DO and MD residencies would hurt this kind of applicant?

@DermViser @MSmentor018 Why is the MD/DO residency merger bad for Carib grads who want to repeat medical school at a DO school? Repeating medical schools allows them to become recent American grads with a new set of board scores (In the form of COMLEX - I understand USMLE cannot be retaken after passing it). What I'm unclear on is how combining DO and MD residencies would hurt this kind of applicant?
I don't know if the merger is bad for a Caribbean grad who repeats medical school at a DO school. Honestly I don't know of any DO school that would take a Carribean grad, honestly, since you've taken the licensing exams even if you're now taking COMLEX. I just think it's a costly mistake.

Concur with my learned colleague, and see my post above.

I don't know if the merger is bad for a Caribbean grad who repeats medical school at a DO school. Honestly I don't know of any DO school that would take a Carribean grad, honestly, since you've taken the licensing exams even if you're now taking COMLEX. I just think it's a costly mistake.

Concur with my learned colleague, and see my post above.
Right. @MSmentor018 was saying it would be, to paraphrase, a waste of time for a Caribbean-grad-turned-DO to apply due to the residency merger, if I understand correctly. Just need clarification on that particular point?

Does anyone know?

BTW, not all DO faculty are adamant that Caribbean grads not apply. In fact, Touro-NY accepted a Ross grad in the last 10 years and she is now a faculty member there.

Last edited:
BTW, not all DO faculty are adamant that Caribbean grads not apply. In fact, Touro-NY accepted a Ross grad in the last 10 years and she is now a faculty member there.

Sounds like the kind of odds I'd wager $300k in 7% compounding interest debt. Where does one sign up?

The drop out rate from Carib schools is high because the amount of material that you have to master to do well either clinically or on the USMLE exams is vast, and many if not most of the students at Caribbean schools have already demonstrated difficulty in performing at a high level academically. Otherwise they would be at an ACGME program. The schools aggressively wean out weaker students after MS1 and MS2, because their average USMLE board scores and residency match statistics are the best tool they can use to advertise their services to pre-meds. You never see those Ross, Saba or AUA flyers plastered up on the biology dept community bulletin board referring to their rates of attrition.

Sounds like the kind of odds I'd wager $300k in 7% compounding interest debt. Where does one sign up?

The drop out rate from Carib schools is high because the amount of material that you have to master to do well either clinically or on the USMLE exams is vast, and many if not most of the students at Caribbean schools have already demonstrated difficulty in performing at a high level academically. Otherwise they would be at an ACGME program. The schools aggressively wean out weaker students after MS1 and MS2, because their average USMLE board scores and residency match statistics are the best tool they can use to advertise their services to pre-meds. You never see those Ross, Saba or AUA flyers plastered up on the biology dept community bulletin board referring to their rates of attrition.
You are correct. I would never go to a Carib school nor would I recommend it to others. But for people who are already in debt without a job, I am providing facts that may be a beacon of hope. But absolutely, if you are a premed and reading this - don't go! ( I already told OP as much) If you are already in the Carib and not excelling, start thinking about an exit strategy.
But for everyone else - DO schools will not uniformly reject you. Sorry if that hurts your brand, DOs, but it's true right now.

Here is a list of schools that will entertain applications from Carib grads. It is not exhaustive - I only sent out 10 emails.

NYIT (actually accepted a student from Ross)
ACOM (does not need to retake MCAT)
AZCOM
LUCOM
LECOM - Erie (Must retake MCAT)
Lubbock (MD) (must retake MCAT)

Last edited:

new set of board scores but you still have to explain your last 4 yrs of getting an MD degree and hoping he will do significantly better on comlex. let's face it, doing just a little better isn't worth repeating 4 yrs, you better knock it out of the park, slam dunk the rotations and get the high end residency you want. it's admirable to be willing to crank out another 4 yrs just for a better residency chance but a hard sell to the programs. plus the debt would be astronomical. the merger brings in a larger applicant pool which means stiffer competition. to help weed that out, programs will have to develop more ways to weed out the sudden increase in applications. a transition yr resident that actually practice medicine definitely looks better than a ms4 whose never signed a chart. there's caveats of course but you get what I am pointing at. I feel bad for the student. there's nothing wrong with the carib schools, their just not funded or connected that well. some get a bad wrap. like anything else you get what you put into it. residency is pure supply and demand.

if you at least do a transition year or two or three you can at least:
1. get a good LOR which counts tremendously on your behalf
2. maybe someone will pick up the phone and hook you up with a program if you prove yourself to be a good worker
3. put enough residency time (1 yr) in to get a license/dea number
4. get a job as a GP in an urgent care clinic, VA, military (which has it's own match), civil service or indian health system
5. pay off your debt instead of getting 4 yrs older and 8 yrs broker

new set of board scores but you still have to explain your last 4 yrs of getting an MD degree and hoping he will do significantly better on comlex. let's face it, doing just a little better isn't worth repeating 4 yrs, you better knock it out of the park, slam dunk the rotations and get the high end residency you want. it's admirable to be willing to crank out another 4 yrs just for a better residency chance but a hard sell to the programs. plus the debt would be astronomical. the merger brings in a larger applicant pool which means stiffer competition. to help weed that out, programs will have to develop more ways to weed out the sudden increase in applications. a transition yr resident that actually practice medicine definitely looks better than a ms4 whose never signed a chart. there's caveats of course but you get what I am pointing at. I feel bad for the student. there's nothing wrong with the carib schools, their just not funded or connected that well. some get a bad wrap. like anything else you get what you put into it. residency is pure supply and demand.

if you at least do a transition year or two or three you can at least:
1. get a good LOR which counts tremendously on your behalf
2. maybe someone will pick up the phone and hook you up with a program if you prove yourself to be a good worker
3. put enough residency time (1 yr) in to get a license/dea number
4. get a job as a GP in an urgent care clinic, VA, military (which has it's own match), civil service or indian health system
5. pay off your debt instead of getting 4 yrs older and 8 yrs broker
Thanks for this response. The student I'm referring to has been trying for 3 years for a residency with no luck. They only recently became a US permanent resident. I'm trying to convince them to go to change careers or try dental school in case they can't get a residency again. Not ideal, but safer.

Thanks for this response. The student I'm referring to has been trying for 3 years for a residency with no luck. They only recently became a US permanent resident. I'm trying to convince them to go to change careers or try dental school in case they can't get a residency again. Not ideal, but safer.
oh i thought he was a US citizen at a carib school. hmmm....yeah getting that J-1 visa to work and such is a pain. but if he's a citizen now it should be a little easier. hopefully he's working in a lab or something that will keep the CV going. I've had a few colleagues that had to be a lab tech, nurse aid...etc until a residency slot opened up. it's not impossible