What is Standard Deviation

Started by unDRdog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unDRdog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will someone please break down what a "standard deviation unit" is???? I hear it all the time since i've been in the MCAT world and have a general idea of what it means but want to understand it more completely. Thanks
 
Will someone please break down what a "standard deviation unit" is???? I hear it all the time since i've been in the MCAT world and have a general idea of what it means but want to understand it more completely. Thanks

I was going to make a funny post about this, but then I realized, this has to be a troll post. Can there really be someone this dumb applying for med school? This ain't an american idol audition.
 
Will someone please break down what a "standard deviation unit" is???? I hear it all the time since i've been in the MCAT world and have a general idea of what it means but want to understand it more completely. Thanks

1 standard deviation from the average (mean) in both directions contains about 2/3 of all the data.

ex: let's say you take an exam and the score looks like a bell curve. the average is 70 points out of 100. if the standard deviation was 10 points, about 2/3 of the class scored between 60 and 80.

i highly suggest you take an introduction to statistics course. it will prove to be very helpful in your medical career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was going to make a funny post about this, but then I realized, this has to be a troll post. Can there really be someone this dumb applying for med school? This ain't an american idol audition.

I was going to make a funny post about this, but then I realized, this has to be a troll post. Can there really be someone this arrogant and this much of a dbag applying for med school? :idea:Ah yes there can be. You sir are the king of the dbags. Just answer the question or stfu. No need to be such a ******* piece of ****. Damn I hate ********!
 
I was going to make a funny post about this, but then I realized, this has to be a troll post. Can there really be someone this arrogant and this much of a dbag applying for med school? :idea:Ah yes there can be. You sir are the king of the dbags. Just answer the question or stfu. No need to be such a ******* piece of ****. Damn I hate ********!

I apologize. After reading his previous posts, this was a serious question. I was hoping to give him the benefit of the doubt by calling him a troll but I am wrong. If it makes you feel better, I'll put in some advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_determination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_regression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-square_test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_of_error
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_variance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_chart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_sigma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_of_Experiments

Now, all your stats Q's answered in one epic thread.
 
Last edited:
I am going to agree with Ride Big Sky on that ChemEngSoonMD you are the biggest d-bag on this entire MCAT discussion board. Every post you make is so demeaning towards everyone else. I do not understand why the people who oversee this board allow you to continue to bad mouth everyone you deem inferior in intelligence to yourself.

Your only response to this is either:

1) stalking previous posts made by me and looking for something that you can bring back up to make me look stupid and demonstrate your superiority
2) post more pics of yourself lifting weights.

Seriously dude, who posts pics of themselves lifting weights on the biggest nerd site on planet earth?

Also, didn't you graduate from college like 3-4 years ago? Some of your responses/ posts I would expect from someone who is naive pre-med who hasn't even turned 21 yet. But yet you have demonstrated, continually, the same level of maturity that these kids have.

We get it that you are really smart and superior to everyone else in the world but do everyone a favor and stay in California for your medical education and training....therefore the rest of American society won't be negatively affected by your selfishness and vanity.
 
That's what I was like the first 7 times this happened to this guy.

Guys just calm down there is no use in trying to talk to this guy out of his habits. This is about the 9th time in august that a thread has ended in people basically telling him to not be so degrading and demeaning. You'd think for someone claiming to be intellectually superior he'd actually get the point by now. He's probably just an attention *****.

Guys, :troll:.

To unDRdog, Standard deviation is basically the variability of scores about the mean. Each test may have a different distribution but the percentile of scores that fit in this range is always the same. So for example, 1 std will always contain 68% of all population scores. 2 std will contain 95% of all scores. 3 std will contain some 99%.

-LIS
 
Last edited:
It's kind of ironic that he called a troll on this post when, in fact, he acted more like the troll. I hope you never make it into the medical profession. I hate to break it to you but you can be the smartest person in the universe and still make the ****tiest doctor. Maybe you should stick to chemical engineering and lifting weights like the meathead that you are.
 
It's kind of ironic that he called a troll on this post when, in fact, he acted more like the troll. I hope you never make it into the medical profession. I hate to break it to you but you can be the smartest person in the universe and still make the ****tiest doctor. Maybe you should stick to chemical engineering and lifting weights like the meathead that you are.


Wow harsh words. Thank goodness I'm not the smartest person in the world. Fortunately, I'm only smart enough for a decent GPA and MCAT score.

All chemical engineers are meatheads, how you know? I'm synthesizing steroids right now.
 
Okay, it seems to be getting a bit too personal in here.

unDRdog, let us know if you still need more information or if you sort of get the hang of it now. If all questions are answered then maybe we can close this thread.

-LIS
 
BTW, I'm curious ChemEng what your MCAT is? You seem confident in your score, so I'm wondering what it is if you are comfortable sharing it.

-LIS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Until you have your MCAT score, please refrain from bragging about the score that you don't have yet (you edited the statement out now which is fine but I'm saying this because you posted the statement earlier to begin with). Even then, it is a questionable and arrogant practice at the least because a MCAT score tells you nothing other than the fact of how well you know the material from some general science classes.

-LIS
 
Wow---u know i have always thought the stupid question is the one not asked...but thats just me. Yeah this is a generic question and with a little research i was able to get a better understanding of it but thought i would throw it on the MCAT thread for you guys to chime in and put it in your own words....never dreamed i would have been accused of being a troll....whatever :laugh:---Seriously thanks to all those who answered and supported what might seem to some a stupid question... Neway hope everyone's studying is going well (for all of us with test dates left)
 
unDRdog, seriously don't worry about it. No one had a problem with the question with it except the real troll. You are right on the money when you say that the only stupid question is the one not asked. No matter how trivial you have to ask sometime, otherwise how will you ever learn and find out what it is.

-LIS
 
Wow---u know i have always thought the stupid question is the one not asked...but thats just me. Yeah this is a generic question and with a little research i was able to get a better understanding of it but thought i would throw it on the MCAT thread for you guys to chime in and put it in your own words....never dreamed i would have been accused of being a troll....whatever :laugh:---Seriously thanks to all those who answered and supported what might seem to some a stupid question... Neway hope everyone's studying is going well (for all of us with test dates left)

Asking questions is a good thing, I'm a big fan of it. However, for this particulatar question:

1. You should have asked it in 8th grade.
2. And if you didn't, you should have used Wikipedia

Your question was simply a definition question, Wikipedia could have easily answered your question.
 
Asking questions is a good thing, I'm a big fan of it. However, for this particulatar question:

1. You should have asked it in 8th grade.
2. And if you didn't, you should have used Wikipedia

Your question was simply a definition question, Wikipedia could have easily answered your question.


Seriously buddy?!?! 8th grade??

I'm not really sure why you piss me off so much, but you're just such an arrogant bastard. You seriously need to go stick your little chemeng buddy into a blender filled with bleach and razor blades. That should stop you from reproducing and creating more arrogant little trolls like yourself. Enjoy.
 
Asking questions is a good thing, I'm a big fan of it. However, for this particulatar question:

1. You should have asked it in 8th grade.
Oh, thats cute. And how many 8th graders take statistics? Umm none that I know of. Which shouldn't be terribly surprising since most people don't take statistics until college.

I'm going to echo the sentiments of most of the other folks in here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then just stay quiet and spare everyone the sarcasm. This isn't the place for it.
 
Oh, thats cute. And how many 8th graders take statistics? Umm none that I know of. Which shouldn't be terribly surprising since most people don't take statistics until college.

I'm going to echo the sentiments of most of the other folks in here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then just stay quiet and spare everyone the sarcasm. This isn't the place for it.

You dont need stats to know standard deviation. I never took stats.
 
i think it was last week or so when i read a few responses from that kid to some question asked by other premed and i thought he was being really rude, but neither the OP nor other posters were pointing it out. His arrogance and unnecessary expression of superiority really bothered me for a while so i was thinking of saying something against him instead but didn't wanna pick a fight or anything, so i just let him be.

And here he did it again and not surprisingly people don't really like the way he talks. but like the other guy said, this type of kid won't really make a good doctor no matter how intelligent he is. I think being a great doctor entails compassion for the most part among other things like competence, commitment...etc)

Sure, lots of medical inventions and breakthroughs are made by those smart doctors but certainly medicine is more than being an intelligent science geek. especially when it comes to communicating w/ patients or other health professionals like nurses working at the same hospital, that type of im-smarter-than-you-so-you-dumb****-just-shut-your-fxxxing-mouth attitude will definitely fail him as a doctor. maybe he won't directly hear from anyone telling him "don't be so rude" to help him fix the way he treats people , but we all know that people will eventually talk shxt behind him.


I wish he is not like that when he is not on sdn. But if he is the same shxt in a real person, I too hope he won't become a doctor unless he goes onto change that mindset sometime later in life.

gluck w/ the mcat tho
 
unDRdog, seriously don't worry about it. No one had a problem with the question with it except the real troll. You are right on the money when you say that the only stupid question is the one not asked. No matter how trivial you have to ask sometime, otherwise how will you ever learn and find out what it is.

-LIS

i actually thought the question was not exactly necessary.. perhaps if he specified what portion of SDs he was having trouble with it would have been a good question. but as it stands it looks like laziness
 
i actually thought the question was not exactly necessary.. perhaps if he specified what portion of SDs he was having trouble with it would have been a good question. but as it stands it looks like laziness

True but I see no point in arguing about it anymore. I used to say "go look it up on wikipedia or google" or "please use the search function" but I've since come to realize that some people will take serious offense to it and start a war over it because they think their ego has been busted. Now, I don't even feel like explaining to them they could just search or anything anymore so I just answer the question if I can. There's really nothing we can do because people will always post questions that can be easily looked up or searched. Unfortunately, that's just the state of things.

-LIS
 
i actually thought the question was not exactly necessary.. perhaps if he specified what portion of SDs he was having trouble with it would have been a good question. but as it stands it looks like laziness
Def not laziness...i understand what your saying bc sure, at surface value its a shotgun def. question. I should have clarified that i was trying to understand how it is related to the MCAT scores. For example: Per the official guide to the MCAT 2009 the average PS score is 9.3 Std Deviation 2.3....I was trying to figure out what that means... Thats all...its a necessary question bc i dont know how to interpret what that means with the wiki info...maybe i'm some sorta ***** for asking or maybe a bigger ***** for not being able to figure it out on my own....Maybe this means i am not suited to become a doc, but i still think i'll give it a shot. 😀 If my question was mistaken for laziness i would think that a more appropriate response would be; "what part of it do you not understand?" not some sort of arrogant comment which was demeaning... I have my question answered now....🙂 This thread has become crazy!!
srsly good luck everyone!!!
 
All chemical engineers are meatheads, how you know? I'm synthesizing steroids right now.

I never said ALL chemical engineers are meatheads. I was talking about you specifically. Perhaps you should work on your verbal skills rather than waste your time posting your worthless .02, especially since you are so arrogantly calling a 40 on your MCAT, which you have not even taken yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You dont need stats to know standard deviation. I never took stats.

From my past experiences, in 8th grade we either took algebra 1 or geometry. Stats was for seniors and any level in college. Hah, all I remember from 8th grade was working the stock market for a class project and learning basic algebra functions.
 
i actually thought the question was not exactly necessary.. perhaps if he specified what portion of SDs he was having trouble with it would have been a good question. but as it stands it looks like laziness
Seriously , asking a question about standard deviation is very legitimate. I know someone much more brighter than anyone I have ever met in college with a 4.0 sGPA (chemistry TA) who took statistics and she told me that she does not know what standard deviation means even she did know how to calculate it; I had to explain it to her and I fell very good afterwards because at least I understand something that she didn't. Calculating a standard deviation and understand what it means can be very different.
 
Seriously , asking a question about standard deviation is very legitimate. I know someone much more brighter than anyone I have ever met in college with a 4.0 sGPA (chemistry TA) who took statistics and she told me that she does not know what standard deviation means even she did know how to calculate it; I had to explain it to her and I fell very good afterwards because at least I understand something that she didn't. Calculating a standard deviation and understand what it means can be very different.

sorry, but that just sounds like the TA is exactly the type to score low on the MCAT to go along with that four point oh. to have taken stats and not understand STANDARD DEVIATION of all things is just inexcusable.
 
Def not laziness...i understand what your saying bc sure, at surface value its a shotgun def. question. I should have clarified that i was trying to understand how it is related to the MCAT scores. For example: Per the official guide to the MCAT 2009 the average PS score is 9.3 Std Deviation 2.3....I was trying to figure out what that means... Thats all...its a necessary question bc i dont know how to interpret what that means with the wiki info...maybe i'm some sorta ***** for asking or maybe a bigger ***** for not being able to figure it out on my own....Maybe this means i am not suited to become a doc, but i still think i'll give it a shot. 😀 If my question was mistaken for laziness i would think that a more appropriate response would be; "what part of it do you not understand?" not some sort of arrogant comment which was demeaning... I have my question answered now....🙂 This thread has become crazy!!
srsly good luck everyone!!!


Ok, so there are three numbers (or I should say percents) that you should keep in mind when dealing with standard deviations - 68%, 95%, and 99%. 68% refers to 1 standard deviation. 95% refers to 2 standard deviations. And 99% refers to 3 standard deviations. Most of the times when somebody says that "the average is X with a standard deviation of Y", you assume it is 1 standard deviation that they are referring to.

So, when AAMC says that the average PS score is 9.3 with a standard deviation of 2.3, it means that 68% of the people get a score between 7 (9.3 - 2.3) and 11.6 (9.3 + 2.3).

If they said something like "the average PS score is 9.3 with two standard deviations value of 3", then that would mean that 95% of the people get a score between 6.3 (9.3 -3) and 12.3 (9.3 + 3).

- Baboo
 
sorry, but that just sounds like the TA is exactly the type to score low on the MCAT to go along with that four point oh. to have taken stats and not understand STANDARD DEVIATION of all things is just inexcusable.
If your MCAT score is 38S, you are probably brighter than her.