What is the actual cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentinterest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure this out...

What is the actual cost of SGU per year? I looked at the website (http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Medicine/financialaidMED.htm) and can't figure it out.
I am trying to look at the actual cost of Carrib schools, if US schools are not an option. I would like to know if just Stafford sub and Stafford unsub loans will cover it all.

Anybody know?

What about the other three schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess nobody knows. This is a little scary. I hope it's not one of those deals that you don't actually find out till it's too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
studentinterest said:
I guess nobody knows. This is a little scary. I hope it's not one of those deals that you don't actually find out till it's too late.

a friend of mine who is applying there told me that it's around 33,000 for tuition and living expenses could be around 15k. I think your stafford loans will cover the tuition, but for living you might wanna look into private loans or grad plus loans. hopefully this helps you!

unless you got that paper($$$$) stafford loans are not going to be enough.

200k+ for SGU, Ross, and AUC

That's amazing! I really hope this doesn't have to be an option. I am glad there are alternatives to US schools. It's apparent there is a big price to pay for going this route.
I have the living expenses covered, I just don't want to go outside of Staffords to pay for med school.

Is there anybody doing this?

You should secure at least $240,000 for medical school to cover all costs, (although a majority of the people end up spending much less than that). It will depend on your lifestyle.

As an aside, Canadian students take out all private loans so stop crying when Stafford loans are available for most of your loan amount.

Well I calculated it to be about $180,000 before housing costs...that's including the $950 for books per term for 11 terms, malpracice inusrance and graduation fee. i guess SABA is dirt cheap compared to these prices. Dont know what ROSS charges though.

p.s. you are either a lazyass or ******* for not figuring it out directly from their website.

J/K
I was really wondering what the "actual" cost would be. Not just what is listed on the site. A person needs to be aware of these things to be prepared. Thanks for the figures, though. I hadn't figured them up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to me US achools are somewhat expensive too? Right? Isnt like 150,000 to 200,000 grand to go to med school in the US? You can't work while in.
(I know since I'm in now) :confused: ($40,000 yr x4 = 160,000 right there, without other needs)

oldpro said:
Seems to me US achools are somewhat expensive too? Right? Isnt like 150,000 to 200,000 grand to go to med school in the US? You can't work while in.
(I know since I'm in now) :confused: ($40,000 yr x4 = 160,000 right there, without other needs)

The University of Washington is about $55,000 for four years of tuition (in state student) and cost of living in Seattle for fours years is about $60,000 (that is if you are living an average life while here). That totals around $115,000 and I think that would be an overestimate of cost. Also, you would get grants and possibly scholarships if you qualified.

):( said:
The University of Washington is about $55,000 for four years of tuition (in state student) and cost of living in Seattle for fours years is about $60,000 (that is if you are living an average life while here). That totals around $115,000 and I think that would be an overestimate of cost. Also, you would get grants and possibly scholarships if you qualified.

True, but that is in state. There are some numbers below. Obviously #'s like $55,000 in tuition would skew the average numbers down, as many schools would expect you to pay more than that in tuition in just 2 years. There are some private schools (US) that give students some great options for scholarships and grants. In the Caribbean you just wont have that luxury. However, I wouldnt feel to bad about paying a lot of money for a medical education, especially if that is your only option.

Average Educational Debt

$115,218 – According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, the
average educational debt of indebted graduates of the class of 2004
(including pre-med borrowing)
63% of graduates have debt of at least $100,000
81.4% of graduating medical students carry outstanding loans, combined with 62.4% with loans on college/premedical education
$91,438 – Mean per capita debt for 2003 allopathic graduates
$109,457 – Mean per capita debt for 2003 allopathic graduates excluding students without loans
$123, 800 – Mean per capita debt for 2003 osteopathic graduates, up 2.3% from the previous year
$7,277 – non-educational debt (allopathic)

):( said:

Did you add in the cost of books for 4 years? Traveling to interviews for residency, etc.

HUH? I read somewhere the average debt of medschool graduates was like
around 150K? So is this real? When I looked at schools it was much more than this, I think this may be not the usual? My debt without interest will be around 180k when all 4 years done, I have no undergrad loan nor any other debt at the moment except CC. So it doesnt seem too bad to me? Cost me about 30 to 50k more to go Caribbean but it was that or not at all. :rolleyes:

BTW this includes living expenses.

Not everyone is in the same situation that we are in because they have parents to be help buttress the cost of living and tuition. Older students (27+) tend to either save up some money or just take it all out in loans and that is why I will stand at $240,000 at the end.

oldpro said:
HUH? I read somewhere the average debt of medschool graduates was like
around 150K? So is this real? When I looked at schools it was much more than this, I think this may be not the usual? My debt without interest will be around 180k when all 4 years done, I have no undergrad loan nor any other debt at the moment except CC. So it doesnt seem too bad to me? Cost me about 30 to 50k more to go Caribbean but it was that or not at all. :rolleyes:

BTW this includes living expenses.

so a typical Ross student will be in debt of about 200k+ after he/she has become a doctor?

bluenumber6 said:
awww F*** me.

Yeah I know, it's killer but if you're a U.S citizen you can get government loans with deferred interest.

For ussin's from north of the border it's 200K at a borrowing rate of 7%/year interest for like a decade.

Now that's a big fat hairy hand in my pocket. Worth it though.

utorontograd said:
Yeah I know, it's killer but if you're a U.S citizen you can get government loans with deferred interest.

For ussin's from north of the border it's 200K at a borrowing rate of 7%/year interest for like a decade.

Now that's a big fat hairy hand in my pocket. Worth it though.

Definitey worth it considering that an average IM doc takes home $8000 a month in high-tax states such as NY and MA.

Then again, some people are not comfortable with debt.

You have to be kidding:eek: Tuition fees are so high? Some are as high as the medical schools in the USA and UK. I am a Rep of GMU an offshore Medical School in Guyana South America, our tuition is 4900US per semister Basic Science, 7500US for clinical science!Maybe we have to change our tuition:laugh: