What is the annual cost/work required to maintain board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanGas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this is a personal decision but I would like your opinions.

Background:
I'm a 5th and final year resident in Canada and am debating on sitting for the American boards. I have written all 3 USMLE's. I have gotten passing marks on the most recent AKT this summer (36) but I have no plans on practicing in the USA. However, a 30 year career is a long time in which I could change my mind (or if you guys look North to a stable supply of H2O and Oil and roll some tanks our way).

I have to write the Royal college exam anyways so the american boards probably would not require much in the way of additional studying other than changing my format for oral exams.

It's something like $4k to write the ABA exam. What are the annual costs to keep your certification? I have to do continuing ed anyways for my Canadian certification so that should not be a big deal to use for the USA as well.

I just don't know if it is worth the time and expense when I have no plans to use it for at least 10 years. That said, I sure as heck would not want to sit it in 10 years if I decide I need it.

What do you think?

CanGas

Members don't see this ad.