What is the best anatomy book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatsandCradles

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my 1,000th post, I wanted to make an interesting post....so since we spend numerous hours studying for anatomy, I thought I'd make a post to see what anatomy book everyone preffers.

Here's my favorite:

thieme.jpg

General Anatomy and the Musculoskeletal System (THIEME Atlas of Anatomy)
Author: Michael, M.D., Ph.D. Schuenke, Erik, M.D. Schulte, Udo Schumacher

And my second favorite:

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human
Body Edition: 6th
Author: Johannes W. Rohen, Chihiro Yokochi, Elke Lutjen-Drecoll

What book are you guys using?

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite text is Moore and Dalley's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy"; favorite atlas is Clemente's. However, my class text is Drake's "Gray's Anatomy for Students". It seems a lot of my friends are using Netter.

My favorite text is Moore and Dalley's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy"; favorite atlas is Clemente's. However, my class text is Drake's "Gray's Anatomy for Students". It seems a lot of my friends are using Netter.

Yay!

More and Dalley!

I should read that more often - if I did, maybe I wouldn't be doing so badly on all these clinical questions!!!

I have a hard time using Netters...I call it Nutters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to see somebody plugging the thieme books. The first two volumes have been very good, and I'm looking forward to the third.

The atlas I still find myself reaching for though, and I still think the best overall is Sobotta. Especially in the head and neck, the plates are easier to learn from than Netter, IMHO.

I am going to go to WVSOM next fall and do PBL, so, how do/did you chose the book of preference? Go to the book store and look through all of them, use the one assigned and hope you like it, read reviews like mad??? I am hoping to request some books for Christmas this year, any other must have suggestion?

Does ANYONE use the plain old classic Gray's? If not, why not?

1) Clemente > Netter
2) many surgical anatomy atlases are on par with rohen, plus you get to see it in situ
3) of course, or-live.com -- nothing beats a surgeon explaining the anatomy during the operation.

Netter was my date most nights. Plus he smokes cigars.

As a non-spatially skilled and non-anatomy liking person, I use a ton of books. I read Moore when I'm confused or am having trouble with information sticking. I look at Netter's to visualize basic things, and I stare at Rohen's to study for a practical. Also, my anatomy professor wrote BRS anatomy, so I definitely use that one, too. The questions in that one are a great tool even if it wasn't written by your professor -- I really solidify my anatomy knowledge by answering questions.

People always talk about first year medical school students buying lots of books and not using them. I'm the weird example because I've purchased many anatomy books and feel like it's been helpful.

The questions in that one are a great tool even if it wasn't written by your professor

I liked the questions in the book, except that you could basically cut out the whole question except the last line and that got you to the important part. Though the stories did give some amusement value.

Does ANYONE use the plain old classic Gray's? If not, why not?
The title "Gray's Anatomy" has been picked up by many anatomy books over the years so it's important to clarify which book you're talking about. The "Gray's Anatomy" which can be had for ~$10 in the discount aisle is a reprint of the original 1901 text. While it may make an interesting coffee table book, it is next to useless for studying modern anatomy. Outdated, not well-illustrated, and hard to understand.

If by "Gray's Anatomy" you mean the British Gray's Anatomy, you have probably the most authoritative anatomy text in Western civilization. The "big" Gray's covers development, histology, and gross anatomy in extracting detail. However, all that details ends up weighing a good ten pounds and makes for a less than concise or exciting read. Also, although the most recent edition of Gray's has updated it's illustrations, they are still not nearly as useful or plentiful as good old Moore's, or for that matter "Gray's Anatomy for Students" (Yet another "Gray's Anatomy").

Big Grays's definitely has its place on the reference shelf, but is not practical for most med students.

I liked the questions in the book, except that you could basically cut out the whole question except the last line and that got you to the important part. Though the stories did give some amusement value.

Yeah, it's actually pretty funny. Someone on another thread stated that the questions in BRS anatomy required conceptual thinking, but I don't see where they're getting that. Once you get through the clinical stuff in the first two or so sentences, you realize the question itself is just asking for some fact or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy and Rohen's (Deadman's) Atlas. Great combo.

Gray's Anatomy for Students. Better atlas then Netter's and pretty comprehensive.

I use Moore and Daley, Netters, Rohen's, and also Clincal antomy book by Earnest April which is a good quick review book with board style questions.

Grays Anatomy for Students is golden- excellent illustrations.

For my 1,000th post, I wanted to make an interesting post....so since we spend numerous hours studying for anatomy, I thought I'd make a post to see what anatomy book everyone preffers.

Here's my favorite:

thieme.jpg

General Anatomy and the Musculoskeletal System (THIEME Atlas of Anatomy)
Author: Michael, M.D., Ph.D. Schuenke, Erik, M.D. Schulte, Udo Schumacher

And my second favorite:

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body Edition: 6th
Author: Johannes W. Rohen, Chihiro Yokochi, Elke Lutjen-Drecoll

What book are you guys using?

I agree with the Rohen. It kept me out of the anatomy lab.

Used a combo of Gray's Anatomy for Students, Netter's, and the Rohen atlas.

With anatomy I think the important thing, no matter what book(s) you use is to use multiple sources. A diagram/drawing in one book may be helpful in visualizing the relationship of a certain nerve and muscle, but it may be simplified and leave out more superficial structures that you can find in another book/atlas. So you start looking at it from "different angles" until you can just start visualizing it in your head.

The title "Gray's Anatomy" has been picked up by many anatomy books over the years so it's important to clarify which book you're talking about. The "Gray's Anatomy" which can be had for ~$10 in the discount aisle is a reprint of the original 1901 text. While it may make an interesting coffee table book, it is next to useless for studying modern anatomy. Outdated, not well-illustrated, and hard to understand.

If by "Gray's Anatomy" you mean the British Gray's Anatomy, you have probably the most authoritative anatomy text in Western civilization. The "big" Gray's covers development, histology, and gross anatomy in extracting detail. However, all that details ends up weighing a good ten pounds and makes for a less than concise or exciting read. Also, although the most recent edition of Gray's has updated it's illustrations, they are still not nearly as useful or plentiful as good old Moore's, or for that matter "Gray's Anatomy for Students" (Yet another "Gray's Anatomy").

Big Grays's definitely has its place on the reference shelf, but is not practical for most med students.

Good summary...I'd say that this is the best anatomy book for medical students:

51Z5PB1YFSL._AA240_.jpg

I just finished a month of anatomy. The Acland videos were pretty cool, but I wouldn't have paid 85 bucks for them. Luckily my school provided this resource to us. I basically memorized everything in BRS anatomy, used Netters to know every structure paying particular attention to the figures which showed origins and insertions, and filled in clinical details from the blue boxes in Moore's.

I use Rohens to study for lab practicals but Netters along with my Gray's textbook to study for written exams.

Netter's all the way, but wishes have gotten gray's to help out. Combine netter's text, flash card, and wiki. I don't like Rohen's book that much, regretted buying it b/c its just not the same as staying in lab and studying the real specimen you will be testing on. Many friends has mentioned thieme's is not bad, good pics and description, but they cost quite a bit (split into few sections). ;)

1. Netters 2. Rohen (the one with the actual cadaver pics - really helps).

For practice questions: BRS anatomy. They are pretty tough, but really make you think critically about the material. It was worth the purchase in my opinion.

For practice questions: BRS anatomy. They are pretty tough, but really make you think critically about the material. It was worth the purchase in my opinion.

I have BRS too. It's tough, but the practice questions seem great.

I hear the new Netter (5th ed) has more clinical information and X-rays/CTs/MRIs than before. As for info, I vouch Gray's for students.

Illustrated: Thieme > Sobotta > Clemente (it's basically a smaller Sobotta) > Netter > Grant's
Photographic: Moses > Rohen

I used Sobotta + Rohen + Moore's

If you're interested in World War II history, see if your library has a copy of Pernkopf. At least as good as Sobotta, as far as the plates themselves go.

For studying for practicals, I love Rohen because its like being in the lab but at home. I feel that going to a mock practical just makes me memorize certain structures in certain bodies, whereas Rohen shows many different pictures with the same structures. I also use Thieme Atlas of Anatomy for clarification and I use Grays for lecture.

lordjeebus (although anyone can respond!): does the rohen's also have muscle origins and insertions mentioned? i'm stuck between that and the moses (2005), which according to one review does have that stuff. also does anyone know if the newer rohen's (2010) is that much better than the older one (2006)?

As far as atlases go, I like Gilroy. Way better looking than Netters, and not nearly as cluttered.

As a non-spatially skilled and non-anatomy liking person, I use a ton of books. I read Moore when I'm confused or am having trouble with information sticking. I look at Netter's to visualize basic things, and I stare at Rohen's to study for a practical. Also, my anatomy professor wrote BRS anatomy, so I definitely use that one, too. The questions in that one are a great tool even if it wasn't written by your professor -- I really solidify my anatomy knowledge by answering questions.

People always talk about first year medical school students buying lots of books and not using them. I'm the weird example because I've purchased many anatomy books and feel like it's been helpful.

Me too. At the risk of losing my coveted anonymity I'll say that at my school we all use this text, written by my professor, he's a recipient of multiple national teaching awards and we all pretty much love the guy: Human Gross Anatomy: An Outline Text. It's like 500 pages with NO pictures, so it's extremely dense. But it will turn you into an anatomy Jedi. It does take some strength to get through it but it's nice to have every anatomical detail in outline form like that. He also happens to have sold the copyright a while ago so there's no incentive for him to plug it :)

I have used Snell's Clinical Anatomy. I found it very informative. Though at some places you might feel that a little more detail could have been better, but for beginners, it is an absolute must-have.

I also do my anatomy studies online. There are numerous websites out there now which provide good high quality information. You can search google for the term "Human Anatomy"

Me too. At the risk of losing my coveted anonymity I'll say that at my school we all use this text, written by my professor, he's a recipient of multiple national teaching awards and we all pretty much love the guy: Human Gross Anatomy: An Outline Text. It's like 500 pages with NO pictures, so it's extremely dense. But it will turn you into an anatomy Jedi. It does take some strength to get through it but it's nice to have every anatomical detail in outline form like that. He also happens to have sold the copyright a while ago so there's no incentive for him to plug it :)

I kinda liked Leonard. It's a great source for written descriptions.

For "Clinically Oriented Anatomy", I find that K. Moore is great, but in general I like:
1.Rouviere
2.Moor
3.Gray's
4.Testis ( a bit more complex, but it has many details that were omitted in other books )

As for Atlas:
1.Sobotta is amazing!
2.Netter

Hope it is useful!

Moore, Netter and BRS Anatomy.

This trio got me A's and high B's through anatomy. It's solid. For lab, Rohens is the bomb. Btw, make sure you don't get the massive version of Moores but just the clinically oriented version.