What is the BEST DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djtiesto14

The One & Only, DJ Tiesto!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best DO school is in the nation.
I know that Harvard, UCSF etc...are the best MD...

What's are the best DO's?

Members don't see this ad.

And in the event more then one accepts you - the most affordable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what makes schools like Harvard and UCSF "the best" MD schools? If you're talking about doing research, you probably can't go wrong with a place like that. If you're talking about going into internal medicine or something, you could get pretty much the same end result if you went to Harvard, UCSF, or any DO school.

How do you know Harvard, UCSF, etc are the best MD schools? Because NIH gives them a lot of money for research so U.S. News and World Report says that makes them the best? They have a lot of smart people there, but will those smart people translate into good physicians?

You should ask yourself what's the best one for what I want to do and not rely on a list you saw somewhere to make your decision. Why go to a school that's mission statement is all about research when you want to do primary care? Why go to one who's mission is primary care when you want to do research?

Also, to get off my high horse, there are no official rankings of DO schools. It's subjective, and people will always tell you that their school or alma mater is the best.

I was wondering what the best DO school is in the nation.
I know that Harvard, UCSF etc...are the best MD...

What's are the best DO's?
HitMeWithClub.jpg

in my experience when people are asking about the "best" school, they are referring to how well that school does in matching its students into competitive residencies. for DO schools, this basically translates into matches outside of primary care/family practice. if this your yard stick for "best" DO school, then PCOM is where u want to be. although this mentality is a little silly in the DO world where the philosphy is to train PCPs first and foremost.

I think a good criteria would be to ask, Which school has the highest COMLEX/USMLE averages? I lot of schools will boast about high pass rates but does any1 know about their averages?

I think a good criteria would be to ask, Which school has the highest COMLEX/USMLE averages? I lot of schools will boast about high pass rates but does any1 know about their averages?
I would not look at the COMLEX scores, what you should be looking at are the USMLE scores. Most people who are serious about getting into a competitive residency will be taking the USMLE and therefore provides a better comparison against the allopathic programs.

if a DO school has a primary objective of matching primary care, then wouldnt the best one be the one that matchest the most and best primary care spots?

Isn't it very hard to get USMLE data for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Jagger was being sarcastic.

I believe Jagger was being sarcastic.

home run!!! And to Rose ... the reason I said it, and was being annoying/sarcastic in my response is because there has been numerous threads like this on SDN, if not just in the pay few months alone. A search would bring all these up, and we wouldn't have repeat threads that will just get locked.

I think Rose was also being sarcastic.

But what if you are being sarcastic about rose being sarcastic in catching my sarcastic nature, but appearing that she wasn't - hence the sarcas ... oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

The one that accepts you.

I have some favorites but I definitely agree with this! If I'm accepted somewhere this cycle I will be forever indebted (not just financially :p) to that school.

But what if you are being sarcastic about rose being sarcastic in catching my sarcastic nature, but appearing that she wasn't - hence the sarcas ... oh no, I've gone crosseyed.
Well, that is better than having a blood vessel in your head burst while going "If it werent for my horse, if it werent for my horse...." :laugh:

well, this is a valid question. In MD world, there is Harvard and there is Howard. If people do not know the answer, they should not attack the OP. If they do not know the answer, it does not mean it is a valid question. There should be objective criteria by which you cna compare schools.

But there really aren't. Nothing you can quantify, anyway.

And does someone who wants to go into primary care, and do no research, really get a better education at Harvard than at Howard? Maybe. Maybe not. Probably not.

The "top" per altitude would be Rocky Vista DO School..

Academics? PCOM, according to my DO buddies.

They have the best hospital network and match list, from what I'm told. I've also been told that the Texas DO school and the Chicago DO school are top 3-5.

Top 7

1. MSUCOM
2. TCOM
3. PCOM
4. CCOM
5. UMDNJ
6. OSUCOM
7. OUCOM

Next Tier

8. DMUCOM
9. KCUMB
10. ATSU-KCOM
11. AZCOM
12. UNECOM
13. NYCOM
14. Western Univ COM of Pacific

Next Tier

15. West Virginia
16. NSU-COM
17. Touro-CA
18. LECOM-Erie
19. Pikeville COM
20. Virginia COM
21. LECOM-Bradenton

Bottom Tier

22. Touro-Nevada
23. Touro-New York
24. PCOM-Georgia
25. ATSU-Mesa in Arizona
26. LMU-Debusk COM
27. PNWUHS-Yakima
28. Rocky Vista University COM

NeuroDoc, did you get these rankings somewhere or is this just your personal opinion?

awesom list NeuroDoc ~
I've always considered PCOM and MSUCOM to being top 5 DO schools in the country..... and turns out they are in you top 7...

I am curious though, how come you placed MSUCOM as your #1 pick vs PCOM being your #3, I've done alot of research on DO schools and PCOM is always one of the top (if not the best) DO school in the country.

Top 7

1. MSUCOM
2. TCOM
3. PCOM
4. CCOM
5. UMDNJ
6. OSUCOM
7. OUCOM

Next Tier

8. DMUCOM
9. KCUMB
10. ATSU-KCOM
11. AZCOM
12. UNECOM
13. NYCOM

Next Tier

15. West Virginia
16. NSU-COM
17. Touro-CA
18. LECOM-Erie
19. Pikeville COM
20. Virginia COM
21. LECOM-Bradenton

Bottom Tier

22. Touro-Nevada
23. Touro-New York
24. PCOM-Georgia
25. ATSU-Mesa in Arizona
26. LMU-Debusk COM
27. PNWUHS-Yakima

Why did you put AZCOM so low?

I am going to do a search for a old list I remember seeing. It will be different than this!.

1. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
3. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. New York College of Osteopathic Medicine Of The New York Institute of Technology
5. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine
6.(T) Des Moines UniversityCollege of Osteopathic Medicine
6.(T) Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
8. Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
9. A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

Why did you put AZCOM so low?

I also wondered the same thing. AZCOM has one of the highest COMLEX 1 and 2 first try passing rates and extremely strong residency matchlists.

Those lists are good ... except I think Western and NSU-COM should be higher ... just my opinion though.

That's a fair list..I'd still put PCOM #1 no matter what, but those top 4 definitely stand.

I still can't get over PNUHS... :laugh:

Just some food for thought and something I've wondered: Why all the fuss over Rocky Vista, when you have schools like Debusk and Pikeville coming out, without the strong ties to clinical centers as well? I'm no RV fan, but I remember the brouhaha over Debusk, and now it seems to be accepted. Will RV enjoy the same in a year?

Top 7

1. MSUCOM
2. TCOM
3. PCOM
4. CCOM
5. UMDNJ
6. OSUCOM
7. OUCOM

Next Tier

8. DMUCOM
9. KCUMB
10. ATSU-KCOM
11. AZCOM
12. UNECOM
13. NYCOM

Next Tier

15. West Virginia
16. NSU-COM
17. Touro-CA
18. LECOM-Erie
19. Pikeville COM
20. Virginia COM
21. LECOM-Bradenton

Bottom Tier

22. Touro-Nevada
23. Touro-New York
24. PCOM-Georgia
25. ATSU-Mesa in Arizona
26. LMU-Debusk COM
27. PNWUHS-Yakima

I am going to do a search for a old list I remember seeing. It will be different than this!.

1. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
3. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. New York College of Osteopathic Medicine Of The New York Institute of Technology
5. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine
6.(T) Des Moines UniversityCollege of Osteopathic Medicine
6.(T) Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
8. Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
9. A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.(T) Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

I agree with this list

That's a fair list..I'd still put PCOM #1 no matter what, but those top 4 definitely stand.

I still can't get over PNUHS... :laugh:

Just some food for thought and something I've wondered: Why all the fuss over Rocky Vista, when you have tlike Debusk and Pikeville coming out, without the strong ties to clinical centers as well? I'm no RV fan, but I remember the brouhaha over Debusk, and now it seems to be accepted. Will RV enjoy the same in a year?

Clearly being an OMS-I, and my school, I speak with a bias. But I think DCOM's ability to have there students at Clinical rotations (which is on the right path by the way) is much different than having a DO school such as Rocky Vista. We pulled together an amazing facility with an all-star core of professors. RV is for-profit, and you can basically buy your way in. I have no problem with DCOM being at the bottom of the list - but I sure do want to put us on the path to moving up. I don't think DCOM and RV compare in the slightest.

Maybe so, but I think I recall an uproar over Debusk before it opened. My question is this: Will the RV uproar die down in a year or two when their students are posting here as well?

Clearly being an OMS-I, and my school, I speak with a bias. But I think DCOM's ability to have there students at Clinical rotations (which is on the right path by the way) is much different than having a DO school such as Rocky Vista. We pulled together an amazing facility with an all-star core of professors. RV is for-profit, and you can basically buy your way in. I have no problem with DCOM being at the bottom of the list - but I sure do want to put us on the path to moving up. I don't think DCOM and RV compare in the slightest.

Maybe so, but I think I recall an uproar over Debusk before it opened. My question is this: Will the RV uproar die down in a year or two when their students are posting here as well?

I hope the uproar does not die down. The system they are proposing does not provide adequate education, or checkpoints (other than their board scores). I suppose if their board scores are average, then the problem becomes purely moral. At the moment, they seem to not plan on following the normal path of letting students in, and how they go to school. A new DO school is one thing (usually good) but a new school with questionable abilities to properly educate their student can seriously have a hit on the Osteopathic profession - it efects us all.

I know it effects us all: I'm an MD and I'm opposed to RVU.

I hope the uproar does not die down. The system they are proposing does not provide adequate education, or checkpoints (other than their board scores). I suppose if their board scores are average, then the problem becomes purely moral. At the moment, they seem to not plan on following the normal path of letting students in, and how they go to school. A new DO school is one thing (usually good) but a new school with questionable abilities to properly educate their student can seriously have a hit on the Osteopathic profession - it efects us all.

I think you guys want "affects".:corny:

The discussion of the best DO schools has been going on since SDN began. Let me refer you to a thread from 1998:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=22727

The major point was valid then and is just as valid today. You can look up all the "lists" of the top schools you want to, but all you are getting is someone else's biased opinion on who THEY think is the best. Develop your own criteria and do a little research. By research I don't mean looking up a bunch of other people's lists.

It's fun to debate the merits of one school over another sometimes, but in reality it would be incredibly dumb to choose a school based on someone else's list. Most of the people who make up these lists don't know jack about 95% of the schools. They've never been to them, never talked to anyone who has been to them, and never even looked up their internet websites in most cases. The criteria that they do use is based on hearsay and propoganda that has been passed down for years.

Determine the things that are most important to you and come up with a list of schools that fall into those parameters. Then, do some hard research and visit the school. Interview there and examine the people and facilities for yourself. So many people come out of the interview season with a totallly different look at things than when they first started. Often, your first choice goes way down on your list and a last place choice might just turn up to be your favorite. For goodness sakes, you are contemplating going $200,000+ in debt and spending four years of your life learning medicine at one of these schools. Forget about those lists that someone makes up of the top of their head and do some research on your own.

I also wondered the same thing. AZCOM has one of the highest COMLEX 1 and 2 first try passing rates and extremely strong residency matchlists.

Why? Because pre-med ranking of schools doesn't mean jack crap. Don't worry too much about them. Like scpod stated, these threads appear every year and the say the same old stuff. Everyone wants to believe their school is number one. And for the most part, they are right because there really isn't a way to "rank" these schools. These self-imposed rankings don't mean a thing.

if RVU doesnt educate their students well, then theyll bomb the boards wont they? its not like theyre going to pass everything and nail their residencies down if theyre not trained properly.

Training isnt just about passing the boards.

if RVU doesnt educate their students well, then theyll bomb the boards wont they? its not like theyre going to pass everything and nail their residencies down if theyre not trained properly.

But there really aren't. Nothing you can quantify, anyway.

And does someone who wants to go into primary care, and do no research, really get a better education at Harvard than at Howard? Maybe. Maybe not. Probably not.

Harvard is harvard. primary care or research.

So exactly what benefits would a harvard grad have over a howard grad as a primary care physician? Aside from the fact that the harvard grad is probably not in danger of getting a DWB.

I know bradenton has the highest pass rate for the Comlex.