what is the best major...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know what would be the best major to go into to best prepare you to get into dental school. Also, does it help at all if you have experience as a dental hygienist or is it a waste of time? Do any of you know people that have done that? Someone please answer my questions...THANKS=)

Members don't see this ad.

hi Tina, and welcome to the forums,

There is no "best" major for dentistry. However, I would suggest a major that involves a highly rigorous science curriculum including microbiology, anatomy, and definately biochemistry. Also, if you are planning far ahead I would take some business courses.

If I could do it all over again, i would defiantely have tried to get a business degree or a minor. Good business skills are a must and it is a great place to start.

Majoring in a language (like Spanish) might really help you as well.

Good luck.

DesiDentist

Take some management courses is good...the course is relaxing comparing to science related classes. It's also a good GPA booster! (your overall GPA only)

Members don't see this ad :)
there probably are numerous hygenists that proceed to dental school! But if you know what you want, go for the dds/dmd. You will clean teeth anyways when you start out with your own practice.

I just recently changed my major. I thought I wanted to be a nurse. I had completed the prerequisites for the nursing program but now I want to become a dentist. The prerequisites I completed are the same as the prereques for the dental hygiene program. Teh program is two years long. Is it going to be worth it to go through the dental hygiene program first or is it a complete waste of time? I'm thinking after the program to transfer for a BS in chemistry. I am so lost. I don't know what to do. I've planned everything for nursing schools but i dont know too much about the dental majors/school.