What is the best state in which to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the midwest.....(for narrowing it down, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan). Which of these offers the best scope of practice for pods (pods aren't limited with anything ankle or below or any type of foot/ankle surgery).

Members don't see this ad.

This may be the wrong place to ask this question. This is the PRE-PODIATRY section.

Scopes of practice defined by state legislation/state boards of podiatry are freely available online. I attempted to compile an excel (below). Do not take my word for the state scope. If you are actually interested in these - look them up yourself and confirm them. If you are in any of these states - talk to practicing podiatrists and ask them what they are doing and what they believe the scope entails. Its probably been said a few times on here, but the state scope is only the beginning of the battle. Training received during residency, hospital privileges and your own comfort level are just as important.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=930359

Only a handful of states still bar Pods from treating the ankle. After that, I would try to live in a state that allows Pods to do amputations. Amputations for Pods, for whatever reason, vary dramatically between states and range from allowing amputation of the entire foot to not allowing even the amputation of a single toe.