What is the best way to teach yourself anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manbeast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deep in the application process now and would like to teach myself anatomy and physiology before I start med school. What is the best way to accomplish this - best resources, books, DVD's, flashcards, etc. Which section of the body should I learn first? Is there a particular order in which to learn anatomy? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I am deep in the application process now and would like to teach myself anatomy and physiology before I start med school. What is the best way to accomplish this - best resources, books, DVD's, flashcards, etc. Which section of the body should I learn first? Is there a particular order in which to learn anatomy? Thanks for any input.

No offense, but it is unlikely you'll be able to teach yourself all of the anatomy and physiology you'll need to know for med school. If you are really interested a board review book will give you a solid dose of the basics.

1. Do a search for this topic.
2. Summary of your search will say: don't bother, since it won't help much (if at all). If you get in somewhere, you're better off getting as much R&R as possible. You will have ample time to strategize learning these subjects once you get to the next level.
3. If you don't get in somewhere (or aren't 100% sure about it this year), I suggest focusing your efforts on improving your chances of getting in for the subsequent application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a search on this and couldn't find much. Why will learning anatomy beforehand not help? I am fascinated with the subject and want to learn but I don't want to pay to take more classes at this point. I (possibly) have 6-8 months before school but I wouldn't mind starting a tad early.

I did a search on this and couldn't find much. Why will learning anatomy beforehand not help? I am fascinated with the subject and want to learn but I don't want to pay to take more classes at this point. I (possibly) have 6-8 months before school but I wouldn't mind starting a tad early.

Get a hot significant other, offer a sensual massage, - learn anatomy.

Get a hot significant other, offer a sensual massage, - learn anatomy.

:thumbup:

Well when I had to learn anatomy for my classes at a cc I just used some regular text books. I hear netters anatomy flash cards are extremely helpful for med students so give that a try. Idk just look for some books online

Since no one will give you an honest answer. Netter is the most popular atlas and Essential Clinical Anatomy (Moore & Agur) is probably one of the more popular texts. Netter is just pictures labeling things and the Essential Clinical Anatomy has more of what you will be responsible for in anatomy (origin, insertion, action and innervation of each muscle) along with clinical tidbits. I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of brut memorization because you will most likely forget by the time you take it again in med school. But, I guess just familiarizing yourself with things couldn't hurt. We started with the back/chest muscles and then worked down the upper extremity down to the hand. Then we did the thorax (heart, lungs...etc) and then the abdomen. Then we went onto the neck and head and then finished with the lower extremity and foot.

Thanks for the the straight answer, Closer. I will see if I can get some used copies of Moore's and Netter's books somewhere. I realize that I am not going to learn it as well as I will in school but I am really just curious about the subject. Thanks for the info guys.

1. Because you will forget most of it by the time you start formally studying for class.
2. You will not likely study the topics to the level of detail required for class.

Theres nothing wrong with reading up on these subjects if you enjoy them. By all means, go ahead if it suits your fancy. I'm just warning you that you shouldn't do so simply to "get a leg up on med school".
Since no one will give you an honest answer. Netter is the most popular atlas and Essential Clinical Anatomy (Moore & Agur) is probably one of the more popular texts. Netter is just pictures labeling things and the Essential Clinical Anatomy has more of what you will be responsible for in anatomy (origin, insertion, action and innervation of each muscle) along with clinical tidbits. I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of brut memorization because you will most likely forget by the time you take it again in med school. But, I guess just familiarizing yourself with things couldn't hurt. We started with the back/chest muscles and then worked down the upper extremity down to the hand. Then we did the thorax (heart, lungs...etc) and then the abdomen. Then we went onto the neck and head and then finished with the lower extremity and foot.
Netters and Moore/Dalley are fine texts (we also used them). We started with musculoskeletal, then thorax (cardiopulm), then abdomen (gastrointestinal), then pelvis (urinary), then head/neck (neuroanatomy).

Frankly, if you had to pick a topic to study ahead of medical school... I'd definitely choose physiology. At least the subject is conceptual and more likely to "stick". Guyton is the standard.

there's no need cause either you will give up or you will forget. But if you really want to get a head start, try the brachial plexus. here's the diagram: http://www.nottingham-massage.com/images/brachial-plexus.jpg
memorize all the branches and the muscles it innervates. just keep drawing it over and over again until you get it down without looking at the picture. That is probably one of the first thing you'll learn in anatomy

Thanks Terpskins. I am done with undergrad and am a bit anxious to get my brain working again. I have been obsessing at my email/mailbox/cellphone waiting for acceptances or rejection. I think that studying will be a nice way to get my mind off the obsessive trip that I am on. Also, I am pretty fascinated with this stuff.

there's no need cause either you will give up or you will forget. But if you really want to get a head start, try the brachial plexus. here's the diagram: http://www.nottingham-massage.com/images/brachial-plexus.jpg
memorize all the branches and the muscles it innervates. just keep drawing it over and over again until you get it down without looking at the picture. That is probably one of the first thing you'll learn in anatomy
crucial for upper extremity section http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTas7ijp0YE

Members don't see this ad :)
You could also see if the school you get accepted to posts their lectures/handouts online. If so, that would be a good way to do it. Texts are quite dense (Netter not included), and the school's handouts will give you an idea of what's ahead.

As many others have said, don't try to study before school starts to 'get ahead'. If you want to do some reading for fun, go right ahead.

The reason why everyone is saying to skip the studying is that you will learn about as much in 5 months on your own as you will in one week of med school. You cannot concieve of the volume with which you are forced to learn. After a couple of weeks you will really wish you had taken some time to do something fun in your life because you will be in the middle of a living hell. You will feel like you are soooooo far behind that you will never catch up. Do yourself a favor and listen to the people who have gone before you. We were all ready to start learning nad were as excited as you.... until we actually got there. In a year you will look back and understand what we are saying to you now. Go have some fun and leave the studying until you get to school and have to do it.

You could go ahead and read the B&B physio book...the 1,352 pages will keep you plenty busy.

Or you could not worry about it, have fun, and arrive at med school refreshed and ready to go.

I know, OP, it's not what you want to hear, but the reality is that even if you do managed to glean some info prior to school, who knows if it's relevant to your class? Everything varies by professor, some focus on things very heavily that others don't even teach. There would be no way to know this before matriculating. I wouldn't bother-plenty of people take only the prereqs, come to med school, and survive just fine.

if you are that interested in it find a college nearby that you can enroll in human anatomy with disection lab, and when you get to med school you will be ready to go. When compared to med school it's still a joke but at least you will understand most of what the professor is talking about.

Well, I happen to think if you don't get anatomy on your first go you might as well decide on something other than medicine. You're obviously not cut out for it.

If I were you I would just drop out of college now, maybe become a garbage man, I hear they make good money and they don't have to take anatomy.

Yutis

You know, the more I think about it, the more relaxing sounds nice. I think I am going to check out some books - but not worry about them too much. I live next to the beach - so I am going to spend most of the time chillin there with my wife and kids.

Pick up Gray's Anatomy (the book, not the T.V. series).

1,000+ pages of anatomy with 300+ illustrations, for about $15.

It will tell you everything you need to know about all the human anatomy.

I used Martini and Nash 8e for my A and P I class this semester. It has an online review included it runs about 120 new. It's not horrifically dense and isn't too long, 1100 pages or so. It has full color and an ok atlas (I used Gray's as a supplement). Gray's anatomy is available for free online. Google anatomy lectures or anatomy lecture notes and you will find great resources. However you're probably better off waiting for med school.