what is the deal with JFK Johnson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyDufrane

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everybody, I heard JFK Johnson won't really even consider you for a spot in their residency unless you have done a rotation there, any truth to that?Any takes on what other people think of the program?What is the draw to this place, is the cushy hours?thanks
 
I don't have direct access, but I am familiar with the program because they were the other UMDNJ program

In the big picture, it seems to be considered one of the solid small/mid-size programs- probably in the same general class as Indiana, UC-Davis, Schwab

Strengths by reputation: TBI, P+O

They do benefit to some extent from their loose association with the UMDNJ-NJMS/Kessler program. They do a SCI rotation at Kessler, and occasion have joint activities as part of the NJ PM+R society

Strax and Cuccarillo have solid reputations as leaders, and I've enjoyed all my interactions with their residents

I am not sure that they are an especially "cush" program
 
I absolutely LOVED JFK when I rotated there. I'm not sure if it's true that you have to do a rotation to be considered for a spot but I do know that most of the residents I rotated with had done a rotation there.

I think because it is a small program, Dr. Cuccurullo is very committed to maintaining the best atmosphere possible so people who rotate there and do well and are liked by the residents usually do well in matching there. that being said, if your personality doesn't mesh well with the program's overall feel, then rotating there will count against you.

If you are interested in matching there, I would at least spend a day or two shadowing an attending and meeting as many of the residents as possible (only 4 per year) AND spend a good amount of time and effort on your personal statement.

In terms of cush-ness, I think it is more cush than many of the high powered academic residencies. For example, I remember residents getting paid to do weekend admissions and note writing. they also got paid for covering local high school/middle school games. They also went out with their attendings a lot and hung out with each other a lot. (When I was there, a bunch of the residents decided to sign up for group golf lessons) They did not take in-house call, they did not have peds call (although they also rotated at Mountainside, unlike Kessler residents, they did not do much in-patient peds or take call there - can't remember if Kessler takes call...)

In contrast, at least at my program, we are NOT paid to do weekend note writing and admissions (between 6-14 per day split btwn 2 residents). we carry between 8-20 patients per resident. (average about 16-18) And we definitely have late admissions, and sicker admissions. (LVAD patients, post-transplant, severe burns, etc etc.) We are the first responder to codes since we are a free standing rehab (need to know out ACLS and PALS), and we cover 150+ patients including peds patients when taking our in-house call. I believe Kessler and Baylor were similar in their workload and responsibilities.


other positivies about JFK: Cuccurullo takes great pride in her teaching abilities (she is the author of the board review book) and all their residents have scored in the 90th percentile and above in recent years. Dr. Uustal, the P&O guy is one of the best P&O docs I've met, he teaches the P&O section of the Kessler board review course, and he is one of the nicest people I have met. Dr. strax the chair is a past president of the AAPM&R and he is a very inspirational person. (has CP got through NYC public school system, etc.)


Defintiely read through old threads about JFK for more info.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everybody, I heard JFK Johnson won't really even consider you for a spot in their residency unless you have done a rotation there, any truth to that?Any takes on what other people think of the program?What is the draw to this place, is the cushy hours?thanks

i heard thru the grapevine that years ago there was a resident class where 2/4 residents left the program which left the program in a not-so-good place. since then the pd has been vigilent in making sure that the people are good fits for the program and the interview tends to focus on things like what do you like about our program, do you see yourself as a good fit here, would you be happy in edison, etc. it is on the less malignant side of programs as far as i know with the residents taking something like q14 home call. the hospitalist, i believe does the initial w/u for ctsp issues and then the resident takes over by coming in for calls that can't be handled from home.

the attendings at jfk take a lot of pride in their program and they are very board focused as previously mentioned. it is also as mentioned mostly training at 1 site (with mountainside for peds), which is different than say va-la/ucla, emory, or uw, e.g. edison is one large suburban traffic sprwal with 14 lane freeways and strip malls as far as the eye can see.

jfk has a model tbi center and the residents also participate in the citywide philly lectures sponsored by the 3 programs there. dr c likes to point out the region as a highlight of training because of the large number of progams in the region, which is different than say training in atlanta.
 
in-house call, they did not have peds call (although they also rotated at Mountainside, unlike Kessler residents, they did not do much in-patient peds or take call there - can't remember if Kessler takes call...)

Kessler residents DO have to take call at Children's specialized
 
And we definitely have late admissions, and sicker admissions. (LVAD patients, post-transplant, severe burns, etc etc.)

LVAD patients? How often do you have to transfer them out? I'd only feel comfortable with them in a CCU (my only prior exposure to them)
 
I also remember hearing through the grapevine that they unofficially reserve 2 spots per year for Robert Wood Johnson students so that cuts into your chances as well.

I definitely do agree with most of the replies above about the program. I remember when I rotated there, it was great because you saw most of the other residents throughout the day because they mostly rotated through one hospital. But that can also be considered a negative because you don't get variety of exposures.

There was something about that program that I didn't like very much. Hard to put my finger on it, it was something about the other attendings that worked there, a few of them at least. Dr. Cucurullo is great, so is Dr. Uustal.

Overall good program, lots of perks like free lunch, and getting paid to take admissions, etc. Don't know about only taking those that rotated there.

Good Luck.
 
the spots still might have been available, just the grads decided to pursue other programs, something to keep in mind.

J