What is the fastest way to get a pharmacy tech job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungjh9001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a pharmacy tech position for a while now,
and I didn't get any replies yet. (I applied at Target and Walgreen via online)
Should I just visit Target and Walgreen in my area and ask them?
I have pharmacy tech license, but I'm not certified. So I'm little hesitant to talk to them in person.
(I live in Illinois, and I heard that I can start working as pharmacy tech with only a license, but I have to get certified within 2 years)
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Such are the laws here in IL...

Your best bet is to approach the managers at the stores at which you applied and tell them why you're a wonderful candidate for the job. Also- hand them a neat resume. Although you probably submitted one in your app, chances are the hiring managers don't look through all the apps.

Yeah, it's definitely not rude to touch base with the store. I'd call the pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist. That person will either know if they're hiring, or they'll be able to tell you when to call back and speak to someone else who knows.

Also, don't give up on trying the same store. I know every pharmacy is different, but we sail along smoothly for months at a time, then someone quits, or family problems come up and they leave, etc. Then we're fine for a week after hiring someone, but the new hire can't hack it and quits. It's a constant fluctuation with some rare stability. Just because they aren't hiring today doesn't mean they won't be next week.

The fastest way (and probably even most effective) is through your networking contacts. Do you know anyone who has or does work in a pharmacy? That is how I got my job at the hospital pharmacy.

Other than that I'd say just dress nicely and visit your local pharmacies. Ask to speak to the manager.

I agree with everyone in the thread. I was certified around Mar. this year and had to periodically calling different CVS/Walgreens in town to check up on them about the opening. Even if they don't, you can ask them if it's ok to give a call back in the near future. Also, try to reapply online every month or so. The system normally flushes out applications so if already before, somehow you get to jump on top of the list. That's what I heard from an old classmate who is working at CVS full time. I just started with Walgreens not too long ago. Don't give up and keep your hope alive. Good luck with job hunting.

Thank you for posting this topic. I am in the same boat as you. I live in Arizona, I'm licensed & certified. I am having a heck of a time finding a pharmacy job. The majority of them want experience, and I don't have it yet because I can't find a job. It's rather frustrating. I am going to market myself this week to all the retail pharmacies in my area. I've tried hospitals and I've had interviews, but lack the experience. Good luck to you!

Thank you for posting this topic. I am in the same boat as you. I live in Arizona, I'm licensed & certified. I am having a heck of a time finding a pharmacy job. The majority of them want experience, and I don't have it yet because I can't find a job. It's rather frustrating. I am going to market myself this week to all the retail pharmacies in my area. I've tried hospitals and I've had interviews, but lack the experience. Good luck to you!

It's a really tough market out there for EVERYONE.

I mean look at Lea, she has to drive like 2 1/2 hours to get her tech/intern hours (sometimes not getting her home until 1 or 2 AM, when she has to turn around and be at pharm school by 8).

You just have to be persistent and you have to have a strong mission statement. What do YOU bring to the table? Why should someone hire YOU over the next dude/gal that walks in?

The most successful applicants to any job in any tough time, like now, will be the ones that not only have qualifications but also have the ability to market themselves aggressively and properly.