What is the first year like at PCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirazyterp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL!!!
I am going to start at PCO from Fall 2008 and I was wondering how the first year is like? I already know a little but don't know much. Tell me about how the classes were for you? Do you really have no time to breathe as I heard some say? (I heard the first semester is going to be very tough!)

Is there any pros or cons you liked?
Anything you would do differently if you could redo that first year?

Also, about costs and living expenses in the area. I have to pretty much pay everything myself. Can you have a part time job or is it impossible?

Feel free to give me any other insight you think might help a first year student at PCO.

Thanks
Babak

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't think first semester was that bad, especially compared to this semester (my second semester) which is hell. Supposedly, the second semester of 1st year is the hardest semester of optometry school at PCO. For me, the hardest classes of first semester were gross human anatomy and optics 1 but ended up doing well in both. Biochem/genetics was also a challenge due to the nature of the prof's exam style. I had quite a bit of free time in the fall, but I pretty much have no free time right now (classes are usually 8-5 and you have an exam like every week, in addition to time consuming assignments on the side). You will have observations in the clinic one day every other week the first semester, which will change to once a week for three weeks, then off a week, then once a week for three more weeks, etc. the second semester. Your responsibilities will also increase the second semester of clinic. Yes, there will be some adjustments first semester as you get used to the whole opt school thing, and that's what makes first semester seem difficult. But once you hit second semester, it'll seem like it was easy.

Living costs in the area, well, is a huge rip off. Many of the apartment complexes are old (and some are just plain run down) and they charge a fortune. What should you expect to pay? Including utilities, I'd say around $740/month for a studio, $1000/month for a 1 BR, $1400-1600/month for a 2 BR, and those values are kinda conservative. Other than work study, I would not plan on having a part-time job. I don't see how you could have that much time available. As far as where to live, do not live in Philly, too much crime. Your best bets would be near the school (Colonade, Wyncote House, Lynnewood Gardens, Towers at Wyncote, and Brookview) or on the edge of the city (Regency Park). Most of the people in my class live in the Colonade, Brookview, and Towers. The farther you get into the bad parts of the city, the cheaper the rent, so watch out. It is tempting, but keep in mind that you are risking your life and property. That being said, crime can happen anywhere, including near the school and especially near the clinic. Hope this helps.