What is the highest debt you heard of for someone before entering Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the highest debt you heard of for someone before entering Dental School? I mean the average I hear is 30-50K. Any students out there who had families, extra expensive undergrads, post-bac etc... that have extremely high debts before entering dental school and how do you feel about paying it all back?

Members don't see this ad.

im at about 120grand right now. if i die owing the government money, i win.

if i die owing the government money, i win.

my thoughts when signing MPNs: I'll pay back this loan eventually, or die trying.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:hey guys hope all is well. i know this may sound crazy... but how does one pay for dental school and the debt acquired in the past?!
i am like 23,000 in the whole with other things and have 26,000 thats my student loans as well= around 50,000 total!!!!!!!:eek:

so question is when school starts.. i don't have to pay the student loans back.. they will be deferred right?? but i will be able to talke out a 20grand loan to pay off my other crap like (credit card bills) or will that just keep sticking me every month!?

-how much does one usually get to live off of?
please any feedback would be much appreicated:D.

thanks!
anita

abrown,

Well first to the question, I entered with nearly 50,000.

TO abrown, you can defer the loans (or most of the loans..maybe not some private ones) you had before but you have to look into it with you lenders and make sure they are aware that you will still be in school for 4 more years. You have to let them know. You probably wont have trouble getting money for living expenses etc. and it is possible to use the money for other things but you might want to get some good advice before using it on other debts. Considering the fact that most credit card interest rates are much higher than the rates on the student loans it may be something to think about but find someone who knows what they're talking about on that first.

abrown,

I would seriously go in to a financial aid officer and get some advice when you get admitted. They will most likely have the best advice for you. Credit Card bills will not defer interest until after you graduate so you will most likely need to take out extra student loans to pay them off ASAP!

I have 20K from undergrad and my credit card debt is increasing dramatically with all the interviews, time off from work, hotels, and car rentals. I am not so lucky as others to have my parents pay for my expenses. But looking on the bright side, I will at least be attending dental school next year! I'm excited. I try not to think about the expenses. :D

Vamosbears - for the record, just because you enter dental school with no debt doesn't mean your parents pay for things.