What is the highest possible GPA I could get within a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowbird12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the highest Possible GPA I could get within a year ( this 2012-2013 school year)?

My GPA right now is 3.2
I haven't calculated the Science GPA yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Entirely depends on how many units you've taken and how many units you are allowed to take.

There is no way anyone could answer your question without this information.

Entirely depends on how many units you've taken and how many units you are allowed to take.

There is no way anyone could answer your question without this information.

^^^^

If you're an incoming sophomore with a freshman GPA of 3.2 than you can bring it up to a 3.6 if you take the exact amount of credit hours and score straight A's. If you're an incoming junior or senior then it's a whole different story...

Snag a transcript from your school, or just view your grades on your university portal. There are various spreadsheets floating around SDN that do all the work for you in regards to calculating your current and potential GPA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^^

If you're an incoming sophomore with a freshman GPA of 3.2 than you can bring it up to a 3.6 if you take the exact amount of credit hours and score straight A's. If you're an incoming junior or senior then it's a whole different story...

Snag a transcript from your school, or just view your grades on your university portal. There are various spreadsheets floating around SDN that do all the work for you in regards to calculating your current and potential GPA's.

where are these spreadsheets...?.I am not sure exactly how many units I plant to take but I wanted to apply in the 2014 cycle..eg ( next year) but that would leave me one year to bring up my GPA....right now I want to be full time both semesters.

Should I just wait until 2014 to apply to medical school..like maybe to get my GPA higher. within two years instead of one year?

I am a recent graduate with a cGPA of 3.2. I've taken over 130 credit hours of courses by AMCAS standards (31 graded classes at my college).

My personal calculations* show this:

new GPA_____Credits needed
___3.25__________15 ___ (5 classes, or 4 with 3 labs)
___3.3___________25 ___ (8 classes, 1 lab)
___3.35__________38 ___ (12 classes, 2 labs)
___3.4 __________ 52 ___ (17 classes, 1 lab)

I am assuming 3 credits per class, 1 per lab, and a 4.0 for all new classes taken.
There is a diminishing return where the more courses you take, the harder it is to raise your GPA. At some point you have to decide that the amount of GPA boost you get from that year of classes is not worth the delay in application.

I haven't figured out where my cutoff is; I'm torn between applying next year with a 3.34 or the year after with a 3.4. However, I definitely recommend calculating it out yourself. My estimations prior to contacting my UG and discovering their official credit hour conversion rate was much much lower, and would have allowed me to apply after 1 year with a 3.4.

*These are based on my numbers and my course weightings. It cannot translate directly into your course requirements.

Last edited:
Here

Attachments

• template AMCAS GPA_Calculator Version 4 Final2.xls
    151.5 KB · Views: 90