What is the mantra of the medical profession in a sentence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbsdrinkingwhale

just a whale
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most physicians are not focused on, or really even interested in, eradicating human disease. Alleviate suffering is more on the right track, but even if human disease were eradicated there would be much suffering that would be beyond any physician's control.

I'm sorry if you have to come up with this for an application or some sort of assignment. There is an unfortunate drive in the Twitter era to summarize, analogize, "distill" everything into the simplest possible terms and then act like it's an achievement to neuter complex ideas and ignore nuance. I think it leads to the modern tendency to see everything dogmatically, in black and white, and be supremely intolerant of the slightest hint of opposition.

Reactions: 1 user
Do no harm.
Do not be afraid to say "I know not".

The "I know not" is because there are various fields of medicine. In other words, if you're a family doctor and a patient comes to you with a skin condition that you can't say much on, just say you don't know but can refer them to a dermatologist.

IMG_0204.JPG
primum non nocere
(first do no harm)
except if you're in ortho, then it's "bone broke, me fix."

Reactions: 1 user