What is the 'match'?

Flexure

Heliophonic Nucleotide
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me in laymans terms?

Members don't see this ad.

that dreaded/eagerly anticipated day every March when most 4th year medical students around the country learn where they will be spending residency. Aside from a few specialities and, I think, military programs (?), match occurs on the same day (at approximately the same time) for everyone. At most schools, students and families/friends gather in one place and are handed out envelopes with the "good" news inside.
Interesting way to land a job, eh?

Thankfully, it is not as bad as it could be since students who do not match are notified earlier inthe week, so that they can participate in the "scramble" (scrambling around, calling and faxing programs with open spots, hoping for a job)

The match is the government and hospitals insurance plan to make sure all the ****ty jobs get filled.

Imagine if there was a match for politicians or policeman or fireman or lawyers...Hey Bob its great you finished law school, now here is your contract for next year in Alabama, I know you hate Alabama but it cant be helped, you signed the contract, better luck next time. Im sorry your wife is leaving with the kids because she hates Alabama so much, I know its rough world out there. Maybe you can live in a trailer park and shell out an existance by selling hubcaps on the weekends. Its ok because one day youll be rich! If you dont accidently hurt someone when you havent slept for 3 friggin days, because if you do, then off to jail with you Bob! I know it isnt exactly fair, but you knew you were getting when you signed on and all.