What is this cycle doing to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like this application cycle is turning me into an entirely different person. Back in May, I checked my email maybe once a day and thought SDN was a major waste of time (still not convinced this isn't true). Ever since I got my first interview invite in August, I began obsessively checking my email 15+ times a day. Now that we are nearing the end of the cycle, I'm finding myself spending an extraordinary amount of time on SDN. What happened to "the old me"? This application cycle clearly got to my head and turned me into an obsessive email-refreshing, SDN-commenting applicant.

Any one else go through this transition? Does it stop after medical school begins?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like this application cycle is turning me into an entirely different person. Back in May, I checked my email maybe once a day and thought SDN was a major waste of time (still not convinced this isn't true). Ever since I got my first interview invite in August, I began obsessively checking my email 15+ times a day. Now that we are nearing the end of the cycle, I'm finding myself spending an extraordinary amount of time on SDN. What happened to "the old me"? This application cycle clearly got to my head and turned me into an obsessive email-refreshing, SDN-commenting applicant.

Any one else go through this transition? Does it stop after medical school begins?
Do people not have auto fetch email on their phones these days? :p

Reactions: 1 user
That's normal. You're just anxious about your future. After you know where you're going to med school you will likely go back to checking your email sparsely and begin kicking yourself for all the time you spent on this site.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is my church now. haha. I can't get off of it. It's more addicting than video games.

Reactions: 1 users
I think people somewhat find solace in sharing experiences and reading about experiences that are similar to theirs. Like, for example, from SDN, I've actually made a real virtual friend, someone that I have conversations with about the med school process, but I don't know where he/she is from--the only thing I know about them is their SDN username. There ARE nice and sane people on here. We rant about the process and schools that we've been waitlisted at. I don't think it's uncommon. I also think SDN is actually hilarious, especially around results time. The memes, the comments, the trolling is actually quite a cathartic, funny experience imo.

I check my email like...infinitely. My email browser is always on. And i'm always eager to refresh. It's okay. Sometimes anxiety gets the best of us, but at least you're aware. Med school isn't like a small thing. It's a big thing, it's something that sets our future, in a large way, so you don't have to be ashamed at being anxiety driven.

Reactions: 1 users
I think people somewhat find solace in sharing experiences and reading about experiences that are similar to theirs. Like, for example, from SDN, I've actually made a real virtual friend, someone that I have conversations with about the med school process, but I don't know where he/she is from--the only thing I know about them is their SDN username. There ARE nice and sane people on here. We rant about the process and schools that we've been waitlisted at. I don't think it's uncommon. I also think SDN is actually hilarious, especially around results time. The memes, the comments, the trolling is actually quite a cathartic, funny experience imo.

I check my email like...infinitely. My email browser is always on. And i'm always eager to refresh. It's okay. Sometimes anxiety gets the best of us, but at least you're aware. Med school isn't like a small thing. It's a big thing, it's something that sets our future, in a large way, so you don't have to be ashamed at being anxiety driven.
This post is remarkable. I can absolutely relate. Thank you for this much needed reassurance = )

This post is remarkable. I can absolutely relate. Thank you for this much needed reassurance = )

you're always welcome to PM me. I'm always down to **** on this process because it's winded the best out of me and many others :) But still we rise. But still we persist. It will be over soon. Once you're a well-settled doctor with 50 patients, you'll forget about all of this.

Literally I do not close the safari window with my email, and SDN. Also, As I have it open on my computer, I still refresh my email on my phone INCESSANTLY. I already know where I'm going yet, I can't stop. Glad I'm not alone :boom: