what is unknown conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leewa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is it? is it a routine thing that residents do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes (in my experience as a med student on path rotations). At the program at my med school the residents get a tray of slides to review, along with pertinent history, and spent a week or two (I think) reviewing the slides and trying to figure out the diagnosis. Then on the unknown conference day, the attending sits down at the multi-headed scope with the interns (and interested students) and asks different people to describe what they see, try to come up with a differential, and ultimately a dx. Lots of discussion, great for learning.

That was my experience as a rotating medical student. Anyone of the more knowledgeable posters in the forum is free to correct me :)

At the university medical center site of my residency, we had unknown conference every AM. Interesting cases from the previous day (surgicals or biopsies) would be placed on a tray (preferably by 5 PM) to be reviewed by anyone interested. For each case, this was the typical format:

1st years or medical students) Describe what's on the slide
2nd & 3rd years) Know the diagnosis
4th years) Know the differential or any other pertinent facts (in preparation for boards).

It was a great learning experience, as those of us on CP were kept abreast of AP. Unfortunately, attendance was also documented.

----- Antony

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes (in my experience as a med student on path rotations). At the program at my med school the residents get a tray of slides to review, along with pertinent history, and spent a week or two (I think) reviewing the slides and trying to figure out the diagnosis. Then on the unknown conference day, the attending sits down at the multi-headed scope with the interns (and interested students) and asks different people to describe what they see, try to come up with a differential, and ultimately a dx. Lots of discussion, great for learning.

That was my experience as a rotating medical student. Anyone of the more knowledgeable posters in the forum is free to correct me :)

path doesn't have interns, we have first years...

no worries. just a pet peeve.:D