What is with Drexel's high MCAT this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been reading that this year the average MCAT is a 32 for their interviewed/accepted students. Why did it jump from a 29 avg over the previous years? I am starting to doubt applying there. Thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess....I was always under the impression that most times the schools have a set MCAT score which would be realistic. For example, a 32 is great but the chances of someone going with a 32 might be less than for someeon going with a 30. That person with a 32 probably has other offers that may be more enticing. I do not know I could be wayyy off base. Thanks cozmo

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they're trying, perhaps too hard, to become a more competitive med school with more national recognition? :confused:

Blue Scrub said:
Maybe they're trying, perhaps too hard, to become a more competitive med school with more national recognition? :confused:

Yea thats what I am saying. What are they doing? Does anyone think this might come to hurt them? :confused:

USArmyDoc said:
Yea thats what I am saying. What are they doing? Does anyone think this might come to hurt them? :confused:

theres not much diff btwn 30 and 32 for the individual applicant

but a 2-point jump in Drexel's average is a pretty spicy improvement if you ask me...think about how many students' scores got averaged in there, and then add 2 points to every one of them...

qqq said:
theres not much diff btwn 30 and 32 for the individual applicant

Im not sure I agree with this statement.... I would think it makes a big difference....meaning people who get a 30 MCAT, a competitive score, are still at a disadvantage when applying to Drexel, when before it would have put them in a competitive category....maybe it will hurt the school as far as applicants go....they may have to lower that avg again...who knows

If You Are Talking About This Year The Class Has Not Settled Yet So The Stat Might Change, Once All The Withdrawals And Waitlisted People Get Figured In. Rememder The Schools Try To Attract The Nice Looking Numbers. Many Of The Students Hold Multiple Acceptances And Thus The Numbers Look Artificially High. I Will Wait Till Classes Start To See What The Numbers Really Look Like.

Blue Scrub said:
Im not sure I agree with this statement.... I would think it makes a big difference....meaning people who get a 30 MCAT, a competitive score, are still at a disadvantage when applying to Drexel, when before it would have put them in a competitive category....maybe it will hurt the school as far as applicants go....they may have to lower that avg again...who knows

It's only like a few questions on the test, in fact I think you are extrapolating way too much information from a stupid test like the mcat

I had a 30, applied this year and didn't even get an interview. Granted, the applicant pool is huge and I admit there are shortcomings in my resume, but still...I think it's a huge difference between 30 and 32 on an individual basis. I think I would have gotten an interview with a 32.

kdwuma said:
If You Are Talking About This Year The Class Has Not Settled Yet So The Stat Might Change, Once All The Withdrawals And Waitlisted People Get Figured In. Rememder The Schools Try To Attract The Nice Looking Numbers. Many Of The Students Hold Multiple Acceptances And Thus The Numbers Look Artificially High. I Will Wait Till Classes Start To See What The Numbers Really Look Like.

Can You Please Not Type Like This?

jtank said:

:laugh: everyone type in lower case all the time from now on :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Medikit said:
It's only like a few questions on the test, in fact I think you are extrapolating way too much information from a stupid test like the mcat

I think you are underestimating the significance of the MCAT and those scores (32 vs. 30). You're right, it is only a matter of a few questions, and it is only 2 points, but I think those 2 points are pretty significant... do you think someone with a 28 as opposed to someone with a 30 have the same chance of an interview, considering they both have similar EC's, etc? I would guess the 30 has a much better chance

I do not know. I figure each acceptance is averaged in not those who enter. I just think its wierd that they have a 3 pt jump in one year. With all due respect, whoever is saying there isn't a big difference between a 30 and 32 is wrong. Although it may be a few questions on the test, those few questions lead to a significant point jump. :confused:

Still wondering why they jumped so high. I know no one can answer this but its not bad to speculate.

jtank said:

ditto. That really hurt for some reason. I got dizzy. :barf:

Oh, and yea 30 to 32 is huge. It'll prolly come back to bite them in the @$$

domukin said:
ditto. That really hurt for some reason. I got dizzy. :barf:

YeAh, ThE tYpInG iS wEiRd. :eek:

boyz of 4d said:
where did you read it was a 32 ?

On the "Drexel question" thread....The kids who interviewed said the dean told them they were raising it to a 32 this year.

idq1i said:
the number of applications to medical schools has been increasing since '02. Supply/demand dictates increasing average MCAT scores

But with the need for more doctors in the future, this may counteract the increasing number of apps, thus keeping each school's acceptee stats the same

Blue Scrub said:
But with the need for more doctors in the future, this may counteract the increasing number of apps, thus keeping each school's acceptee stats the same

Not until more medical schools are built. Class size generally doesn't change

Blue Scrub said:

No, because the number of medical students has remained steady. So if Drexel has more applications, they get to choose the best ones for the seats they have, and their stats go up. I'm not sure why this would hurt them, as somebody suggested. It could only help raise their reputation, right? I mean it's difficult for people with lower stats, but maybe it's just a sign that it's becoming more difficult to get into med school. And also that there ought to be more med students in the US, but talk to the AAMC about that one.

Plus the average applicant this year has a higher MCAT and GPA than the average applicant in 1995 or 2000. That's one of those oddities about medicals applications....there are far fewer when compared to the mid-90s but the average applicant is "better qualified".

Isn't the standard deviation for the mcat 1 or 2 points? If so, there wouldn't be much difference between a score of 30 & 32 for an individual test-taker. Regardless, I do think that people are over-emphasizing the significance of the mcat, along with a lot of medical schools admissions committees. Come on, it's a standardized test that is held on two days out of the year. There's a lot of factors that go into how well a person does, and that can change from day to day. Not to mention the fact that some people are better standardized test takers than others. However, the increase in average mcat scores for Drexel may mean that they are accepting/receiving applicants that have higher scores than those in the test, as in 36-40 instead of 32-26. For a whole pool, that is a difference.

tigress said:
No, because the number of medical students has remained steady. So if Drexel has more applications, they get to choose the best ones for the seats they have, and their stats go up. I'm not sure why this would hurt them, as somebody suggested. It could only help raise their reputation, right? I mean it's difficult for people with lower stats, but maybe it's just a sign that it's becoming more difficult to get into med school. And also that there ought to be more med students in the US, but talk to the AAMC about that one.

so there arent any new allo schools, and allo schools are not increasing enrollment. what does this mean for osteo schools? i still dont get the whole osteo thing. i know a girl that got a 23 on the mcat and has a 3.4 gpa that got into osteo school. she went to my undergrad. so she's gonna be a doctor and i am not with a 3.74 gpa and 30 mcat?

tigress said:

I dunno, there's more to it that we're not seeing....I mean if this was the case, then every med school would just start accepting higher stats, thus making their school more reputable.... unless maybe Drexel is pulling in significantly higher research grants and using that as justification for wanting students with higher stats? What I was thinking about when I said maybe it will hurt the school was that why would they raise their stats significantly if their school and reputation has not gotten significantly better? If you were a real competitive applicant, would you automatically think in your head to apply to Drexel? Prob not. The applicants with stats that Drexel accepted in the past may not apply there anymore because of these higher avg stats, which may lower the number of apps to Drexel....just because they have raised their stats doesnt mean more competitive applicants will all of a sudden apply to Drexel now....what im trying to say is that because they've raised their stats doesnt mean more competitive apps will increase....but it could mean that less competitive apps will now decrease...but this is all just conjecture for argument's sake Im sure im really off here :confused:

i know that they will probably close a thread as soon as anyone starts discussing allo versus osteo but i think it is a serious concern. the fact is that osteo schools do accept people with lower stats, their interviews are sometimes less in depth, and there are new ones popping up. the number of allo schools has not changed and the class sizes are not changing either. is osteo gonna get more competitive? why have the different schools? why didnt they just start more allo schools?

In regards to osteopathic schools, I think they will become more competitive and possibly just as competitive as allopathic schools in the near future. Maybe in the next 5 years? I think what everyone is missing is possibly that osteopathics do not put as much emphasis on the MCAT. The GPA's are slightly lower but not much lower. Could it be possible that they put more emphasis on the person's other qualities? Who knows, but I think that osteopathic and allopathic schools are the same. Hell in some places they take classes and train side by side.

I love how all of you are extrapolating based on a rumor.

Fools. You can't "change" an average arbitrarily by X mcat points until all you actually calculate an average for all matriculants in late summer once everyone commits to a school.

You think 20 people posting with a 32+ MCAT score on SDN is a valid sample size? Get f'ing real.

beastmaster said:
I love how all of you are extrapolating based on a rumor.

Fools. You can't "change" an average arbitrarily by X mcat points until all you actually calculate an average for all matriculants in late summer once everyone commits to a school.

You think 20 people posting with a 32+ MCAT score on SDN is a valid sample size? Get f'ing real.

Take a chill pill, dude.

Discussions like these have been goin aroun ever since the concept of online forums started

Calm down man. It is just a thought. On second thought, you are a douche bag. ;)

Who's talking about sample sizes as a basis for all our arguments? I certainly wasn't.... if I did, I certainly wouldn't use 20 people as a valid sample size... :p

I'm pretty sure Dean Tunkel mentioned something about the increasing mcat at the interview. So it's not like we're pulling this off mdapps.

According to the '04 testing data a 32 is the 86-89% and a 30 is 77-82%. Ok, I'm really bored.

Isn't too significant when you're looking at an individual but over the 400+ they admit (or 200 who matriculate, wutever this stat refers to), that becomes significant.

Anyways, Drexel has been decreasing it's class size for the last couple years. Surely that would have something to do with it.

batchild39 said:
Anyways, Drexel has been decreasing it's class size for the last couple years. Surely that would have something to do with it.

That's true...last year's incoming class was about 225 I believe? Now they're down to something like 210 or 200....

Blue Scrub said:
That's true...last year's incoming class was about 225 I believe? Now they're down to something like 210 or 200....

That just boggles my mind!! Why are they doing this?!? Shortage of doctors....Well it doesn't help to shrink the class sizes!! :mad: I guess I am starting to show my intent to apply this upcoming year. I am complaining already. I am going to be one unhappy camper for a whole year.

USArmyDoc said:
That just boggles my mind!! Why are they doing this?!? Shortage of doctors....Well it doesn't help to shrink the class sizes!! :mad: I guess I am starting to show my intent to apply this upcoming year. I am complaining already. I am going to be one unhappy camper for a whole year.

They had to close one of their teaching hospitals last year, which is why they reduced the class size, if I am not mistaken... yeah that does really suck though for everyone applying, especially those in their post-bacc and grad programs that are associated with the med school

USArmyDoc said:

They are also doing it because their class sizes are huge and they can't adequately meet the needs of all of their students. They increased the class size to make more money, and now that their finances are in order, they are decreasing the class size so they can graduate better doctors.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I don't know how far along you all are in this discussion, but I just wanted to say that the dean also told us during our interview day that the average MCAT scores of those who have been accepted is a 32.

But this obviously doesn't mean that the average score of the class of 2009 will be a 32, since the average score of those accepted was a 32 back when I interviewed. Since then, lower scores could be accepted and those who have been accepted can drop, so their average matriculating score could end up being lower. Regardless, they are definitely trying to become a more selective school this year and it'll *probably* show when the Fall 2005 Admissions stats come out.

:luck: everybody!

ornis4 said:
I had a 30, applied this year and didn't even get an interview. Granted, the applicant pool is huge and I admit there are shortcomings in my resume, but still...I think it's a huge difference between 30 and 32 on an individual basis. I think I would have gotten an interview with a 32.

Me too. I know someone who had a lower GPA than I did at my school (and I only have a 3.4) who got an interview with a 31. I've heard that's their new cutoff. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it seems like it to me. Drexel has become an MCAT score *****. :)

I interviewed with a 29. Waitlisted. As other people have said, they're cutting the class size -- not completely because of the closing of MCP hospital, but that's part of it -- but I definitely wouldn't give any credence to the 32 stat until, as others have said, you see what the actual matriculating class looks like. My roommate is a PIL-1 at Drexel, and she will be the first to tell you that lots of people get in with lower scores -- hell, if you had a 32, you'd probably be accepted at lots of other, better, schools than Drexel, so lots of people will choose other schools and that leaves room to pull off the waitlist -- at least, I hope ;)