What is worth an update? How to write a letter of continued interest? Who should letters of interest be sent to at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KendallJennerSniperLady69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is an abstract/poster accepted for presentation at a conference worthy of an update during COVID?:
In October, an abstract I wrote was accepted for publication in the SUPPLEMENT to a journal and for a poster presentation at a national conference. The corresponding poster was also presented virtually (no live presentation--it was literally just my poster in a gallery of posters on an online gallery lol). Also, this poster was not super basic-sciency/and in my opinion was not a particularly impressive demonstration of scientific inquiry. All I did was describe my objective wrt addressing a problem, intervention, and the effects of that intervention via surveying patients and reviewing some data.

What should I include in a letter of continued interest?
One school I have interviewed at has explicitly said that they welcome letters of continued interest post-interview. What should I even talk about in a letter like this? Should I include updates like the one mentioned above?

Who should I send letters of continued interest to (if they have not indicated any stance towards LOCI's)?
I interviewed at a school at the end of October, and they didn't really give us a clear answer on when we could expect to hear back. I know they interview a LOT of people (40-50 on my interview day alone), so I don't want to bother them with extra materials that won't help them make a decision. Should I send a letter of continued interest?

There is also one school that has not invited me to interview that I strongly consider as one of my top choices, especially because I have a history and connections to the school, and I feel very convinced that I would enjoy being at that school based on my experiences. Should I be sending them a letter of continued interest? One of my friends who is a current MS1 there actually was rejected pre-II, but was eventually interviewed and accepted after she wrote a short emailing appealing for reconsideration. This makes me think they are more open to correspondence, but there's hardly any transparency about communication standards for most schools during this whole process :(.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends who is a current MS1 there actually was rejected pre-II, but was eventually interviewed and accepted after she wrote a short emailing appealing for reconsideration.

WOAH, I've literally never heard of this...what in the world?

Is an abstract/poster accepted for presentation at a conference worthy of an update during COVID?:
In October, an abstract I wrote was accepted for publication in the SUPPLEMENT to a journal and for a poster presentation at a national conference. The corresponding poster was also presented virtually (no live presentation--it was literally just my poster in a gallery of posters on an online gallery lol). Also, this poster was not super basic-sciency/and in my opinion was not a particularly impressive demonstration of scientific inquiry. All I did was describe my objective wrt addressing a problem, intervention, and the effects of that intervention via surveying patients and reviewing some data.

One school I have interviewed at has explicitly said that they welcome letters of continued interest post-interview. What should I even talk about in a letter like this? Should I include updates like the one mentioned above?

Who should I send letters of continued interest to (if they have not indicated any stance towards LOCI's)?
I interviewed at a school at the end of October, and they didn't really give us a clear answer on when we could expect to hear back. I know they interview a LOT of people (40-50 on my interview day alone), so I don't want to bother them with extra materials that won't help them make a decision. Should I send a letter of continued interest?

There is also one school that has not invited me to interview that I strongly consider as one of my top choices, especially because I have a history and connections to the school, and I feel very convinced that I would enjoy being at that school based on my experiences. Should I be sending them a letter of continued interest? One of my friends who is a current MS1 there actually was rejected pre-II, but was eventually interviewed and accepted after she wrote a short emailing appealing for reconsideration. This makes me think they are more open to correspondence, but there's hardly any transparency about communication standards for most schools during this whole process :(.
1. Yes, these are worth the update. I send seven update letters throughout the year to the school that was my top choice, and ended up getting off the waitlist. I mean, dont spam them, but this is a good update. Go for it.
2. COntinued interest is ok. You can write - happy holidays, just wanted to express my continued interest in the program (insert a few specific things you like about it). include the updates.
3. so, i recommend the following approach: write letter of interest or intent in word document, addressed to the director or dean of admissions, save in pdf, write an email to the ppl you were regularly corresponding with from admissions, attach that pdf to the email, and write: good morning, Ms. [] , happy holidays, i just wanted to write a letter of continuing interest. [insert a few nice words about the program and the city]. I was wondering if you could possibly forward this letter to [insert the dean's name'].

Members don't see this ad :)
and there absolutely nothing wrong about writing letter to the school that hasnt interviewed you, especially if you are within the range for GPA and MCAT and they are your top choice! hustle!!!

Could someone say more about reconsideration letters? When are they appropriate to send and how should we approach it? Would love any advice!