What is your EFC on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarts1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I filled out my FAFSA and submitted it. It says my EFC will be 1600... Don't most students get an EFC of zero?

What did the rest of you get?

Members don't see this ad.

0. My parents are dead broke and I haven't lived with them in years though, so that means something. Your EFC is higher if your parents have a decent income or they support you.

Mine was about 9K. I don't get why it's so high, my mom (single parent) makes 35K and I make 30K working a gap year job. I definitely thought I would qualify for a lower EFC. My earned income from interest was kinda high because I've been saving all my money in a bank account, that's the only reason I can guess why it was so high.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Zero, but the number has little meaning for us graduate students.

I got an EFC of $99,999 which I am pretty sure is the maximum. I still qualified for staffords + gradPlus up to the full COA of each school.

The EFC is irrelevant for medical school. You don't have to spend a dime of your own money if you don't want to.

It certainly does matter for institutional needs based aid (discount off of tuition) of the individual schools. Your eligibility for these types of aid also depends on a variety of other factors in addition to your EFC.

Your EFC has no effect in terms of your eligibility for Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans.

I got an EFC of $99,999 which I am pretty sure is the maximum. I still qualified for staffords + gradPlus up to the full COA of each school.

The EFC is irrelevant for medical school. You don't have to spend a dime of your own money if you don't want to.
Can I have a dollar?

It certainly does matter for institutional needs based aid (discount off of tuition) of the individual schools. Your eligibility for these types of aid also depends on a variety of other factors in addition to your EFC.

Your EFC has no effect in terms of your eligibility for Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans.
That depends on the institution. I received several scholarships from my medical school, including some that were "need based", despite my EFC.

If you thought medical school admissions were an unfair and random crap-shoot, wait until you explore the world of medical school scholarships. Admissions will feel downright deterministic.