What is your first week/month of medical school like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagentaKarma

Medical Student (Accepted)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about what to expect. Students will come from all types of backgrounds, nurses, EMTs, overachieving pre-meds, and then people like me who have never participated in a suture clinic, never watched Grey's Anatomy, and couldn't even tell you what the liver does (but somehow has two acceptances). How do all the students catch up to the same level, if they do? The closest exposure to anatomy for me has been a physiology course I took. How is the initial adjustment to studying? How do you lighten your stress?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
They all catch up because the level you get to is generally deeper than the level people know. So it may take one person less effort, but they still need to learn more to know enough. There are some exceptions, I would imagine. It really is important to not compare yourself to your classmates. You don't know their background. If you come in knowing nothing, with enough work you'll get there eventually.

You're not going to be good at studying because you don't really know what the tests are like. So you'll just study extremely hard and make sure you're not being out worked. Then after a few tests you get comfortable and then we switched to a different format and had to readjust. I still tweak my study habits for every class.

I also don't usually feel traditional "stress." I just feel compelled to study a lot and stay caught up. I only feel that stress if I'm way behind or maybe the night before a test.

And don't feel bad, the liver is a pretty busy guy.

Reactions: 17 users
I am curious about what to expect. Students will come from all types of backgrounds, nurses, EMTs, overachieving pre-meds, and then people like me who have never participated in a suture clinic, never watched Grey's Anatomy, and couldn't even tell you what the liver does (but somehow has two acceptances). How do all the students catch up to the same level, if they do? The closest exposure to anatomy for me has been a physiology course I took. How is the initial adjustment to studying? How do you lighten your stress?

The first thing we did was get a container of human bones for anatomy. We had to go through a checklist to make sure it was all there. I had to get my classmate to help because I couldn't identify any of them including the femur and humerus. You eventually catch up

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)

In what undergrad class are you supposed to learn what the liver does? No matter how impressive someone's pre-med experience is, you will all quickly be on an even playing field because NOTHING they could have done medicine-wise prior to medical school is going to make a significant difference once you're actually in medical school. It's more mentally taxing than anything else they could have possibly done.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't tell anyone that you don't know what the liver does.

Reactions: 27 users
I had the opportunity to spend two full days with a friend of mine who was MS1 at my state school, and I can tell you that it was an eye opening experience. First of all, misery loves company, that applies to all MS students. I went to the first lecture which was Neuro at 8 AM, and everyone looked miserable, dead, like robots, drinking caffeinated beverages non stop, typing as fast as possible while the professor was going 80 mph with the PowerPoint slides. It was a big class, but it felt like everyone knew each other.

If I can describe what it felt like to me as an undergrad to be there and listen to the tremendous amount of information being thrown at the students, it would be something like this:

You-get-to-drink-FROM-THE-FIREHOSE.gif

So, for all you MS1 and 2 that are regularly on SDN, I don't know how you guys do it, but ......

youtherealmvp-300x166.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
It evens out over time. Everyone is different. Everyone took different classes and has had different experiences. Some people were Biochem majors, some were music majors. Some people had anatomy/physiology courses, others didnt. Some people have been out of school for a few years and working in the health care field (the former pharmacist knows waaaaaaay more than anyone else when it comes to learning about drugs). You need to come to grips with other people knowing more than you in certain subjects and learn to focus on what you know and need to know as opposed to constantly comparing yourself to what other people are doing. We all learn differently and all have different background knowledge to go off of.

But basically first week is probably an orientation. People will talk to you about the curriculum and stuff like that, then there will be a lot of "getting-to-know-you" type activities with your classmates.

A month in it kind of evens out. But again, based on prior knowledge different people excel at different things. It may take me X hours to learn anatomy and you 5X hours. You'll all know generally a similar amount in the end

It evens out over time. Everyone is different. Everyone took different classes and has had different experiences. Some people were Biochem majors, some were music majors. Some people had anatomy/physiology courses, others didnt. Some people have been out of school for a few years and working in the health care field (the former pharmacist knows waaaaaaay more than anyone else when it comes to learning about drugs). You need to come to grips with other people knowing more than you in certain subjects and learn to focus on what you know and need to know as opposed to constantly comparing yourself to what other people are doing. We all learn differently and all have different background knowledge to go off of.

But basically first week is probably an orientation. People will talk to you about the curriculum and stuff like that, then there will be a lot of "getting-to-know-you" type activities with your classmates.

A month in it kind of evens out. But again, based on prior knowledge different people excel at different things. It may take me X hours to learn anatomy and you 5X hours. You'll all know generally a similar amount in the end

Thanks! yeah I don't mind people being smarter than me. I pride myself on working really hard. Hopefully that will serve me well and make up for it. I hope med school isn't filled of all the annoying pre-med students who go around bragging about every grade and accomplishment and make you feel inferior when in reality, only God knows if they actually know more than you. I definitely was just curious about whether medical school starts off very basic to catch everyone up and then builds up. Also, do your schools have a lot of the stereotypical, competitive, gunner types? I would imagine that if the material is really hard, it makes more sense for everyone to help each other for long term benefits.

Thanks! yeah I don't mind people being smarter than me. I pride myself on working really hard. Hopefully that will serve me well and make up for it. I hope med school isn't filled of all the annoying pre-med students who go around bragging about every grade and accomplishment and make you feel inferior when in reality, only God knows if they actually know more than you. I definitely was just curious about whether medical school starts off very basic to catch everyone up and then builds up. Also, do your schools have a lot of the stereotypical, competitive, gunner types? I would imagine that if the material is really hard, it makes more sense for everyone to help each other for long term benefits.

I'm sure this varies a lot with the culture of the institution and the prestige of the school

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes you feel any better, I started medical school not knowing there were two bones in the lower leg or that women did not have prostates. Everything still turned out alright :D. Classes are taught expecting you not to know anything.

Keep working hard and don't worry about what other people know that you don't. All the important stuff will eventually be covered, so learn it well as it's taught rather than waste time learning superficial factoids in advance to impress others. Also, all schools will have the stereotypical competitive type, just don't let them get to you.. there are much more important things to worry about!

Reactions: 10 users

So what was your first week/month/almost year like?

Reactions: 1 user
If it makes you feel any better, I started medical school not knowing there were two bones in the lower leg or that women did not have prostates. Everything still turned out alright :D. Classes are taught expecting you not to know anything.

Keep working hard and don't worry about what other people know that you don't. All the important stuff will eventually be covered, so learn it well as it's taught rather than waste time learning superficial factoids in advance to impress others. Also, all schools will have the stereotypical competitive type, just don't let them get to you.. there are much more important things to worry about!
My father tried to impress my mother (at the time not even dating yet) with his knowledge of human vasculature during anatomy lab and had to be told by the professor that he was pointing at a nerve lol.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For most medical students, it's like this:

Reactions: 3 users
The first week or so is quite stressful, with you feeling overwhelmed about the material and wondering if they made a mistake letting you in. Then it magically all comes together in your head and you feel like a Jedi.

Reactions: 9 users
It was pretty crazy. But my school helped us ease into the curriculum by starting us out slowly then adding more and more for us to do.

One word of advice for anatomy is to read ahead what you will be dissecting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
First month is pretty daunting, but you get into the swing on things. It's not that bad. Fire hydrant analogy is an over-exaggeration. It's more like undergrad on steroids. I'm actually less stressed than I was during undergrad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm actually less stressed than I was during undergrad.
I've heard this sentiment from the majority of students I've talked to.

I'm guessing it's because you don't need to jump through as many seemingly arbitrary and unknowable hoops as you did in premed and now are just focusing on becoming a BAMF doctor??

I'm guessing it's because you don't need to jump through as many seemingly arbitrary and unknowable hoops as you did in premed and now are just focusing on becoming a BAMF doctor??

To some extent, although there are many more hoops to jump through in med school. And some of them begin to feel arbitrary... But overall once you get in, there is less fear of not being a doctor, with just the pressure of doing well enough to match into your desired specialty.

To some extent, although there are many more hoops to jump through in med school. And some of them begin to feel arbitrary... But overall once you get in, there is less fear of not being a doctor, with just the pressure of doing well enough to match into your desired specialty.
Good to know

I remember coming back after my first actual day of class just looking at my notes wondering how the hell to actually remember all of it. Or 10% of it. Then I asked a few second years if we really need to know all of it. They of course laughed because welcome to med school bitch.

You figure out how to not completely suck pretty quickly. Then you get better

I remember coming back after my first actual day of class just looking at my notes wondering how the hell to actually remember all of it. Or 10% of it. Then I asked a few second years if we really need to know all of it. They of course laughed because welcome to med school bitch.

You figure out how to not completely suck pretty quickly. Then you get better
I'm just picturing the MS2s unfurling a giant "Welcome to Med School, Bitch" banner as the MS1s walk out of their first class.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm just picturing the MS2s unfurling a giant "Welcome to Med School, Bitch" banner as the MS1s walk out of their first class.
RemindMe! 498 days

The main reason is that you don't need an A- or an A to in classes to claw your way into the next stage of training, like you did as a pre-med. Our school is P/F at 75%. It's not that hard to get a 75%.

The main reason is that you don't need an A- or an A to in classes to claw your way into the next stage of training, like you did as a pre-med. Our school is P/F at 75%. It's not that hard to get a 75%.
great to know because I will be at msucom which im assuming is where you are at due to your avatar

great to know because I will be at msucom which im assuming is where you are at due to your avatar
I mean there's also MSUCHM, and med students who did undergrad at MSU.

I'm at MSUCHM, but I'm guessing Msucom has the same system. Not positive on that one though.

I wish my school is P/F :/...they changed from P/F to H/HP/P/F a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Our school is P/F at 70% so in many ways, med school has been less stressful than undergrad. I've been enjoying it so far. The first week was very scary but luckily our first course was review of genetics and biochem. We did anatomy after that so the transition was nice. After we finished our 6 weeks of anatomy, things got much easier.

Did your school give a reason for switching?

Going through past school specific threads, I read that students became lazy and whatnot so they decided to switch it.

I think we're both going to this school this coming fall lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

My sociology professor recently shamed the class for not knowing the sex organs of males/females, citing that "not everyone knew only men had prostates".