What is your professional (pharmacy) GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What is your pharmacy GPA and how much time do you spend studying?

  • < 2.0

    Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2.0~2.5

    Votes: 7 7.7%
  • 2.5~3.0

    Votes: 7 7.7%
  • 3.0~3.5

    Votes: 35 38.5%
  • >3.5 (wow)

    Votes: 42 46.2%
  • I spend: <1 hrs each day studying (you must be super intellegent)

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I spend: 1~3 hrs each day studying

    Votes: 37 40.7%
  • I spend: 3~6 hrs each day studying

    Votes: 19 20.9%
  • I spend: 6~9 hrs each day studying

    Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I spend: > 9 hrs each day studying

    Votes: 2 2.2%

  • Total voters
    91

cy19861126

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks, I thought it would be interesting to post what your pharmacy GPA is and how much time do you spend on studying each day in average. If possible, please also indicate which schools you go to. Currently, I have a GPA of 2.1 of spending 6 hrs of studying each day after school. I currently go to ACP
 
I don't know and I don't remember. Seriously. If I had to guess...3.0-ish (maybe..?) and 0 hours daily, 5 hours the night prior. I'm not one to give a flying **** about my grades, though, so I'm not a good person to ask.
 
Hey folks, I thought it would be interesting to post what your pharmacy GPA is and how much time do you spend on studying each day (I mean weekdays). If possible, please also indicate which schools you go to. Currently, I have a GPA of 2.1 of spending 6 hrs of studying each day after school. I currently go to ACP

GPA of 2.1??

Is that a pass?

And I guess i'm >3.5 , with on average 1-2hrs daily? something like that. Some weeks I barely study, others I study more. I included working on assignments labs etc in that time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GPA of 2.1??

Is that a pass?

And I guess i'm >3.5 , with on average 1-2hrs daily? something like that. Some weeks I barely study, others I study more. I included working on assignments labs etc in that time.
Yeah, 2.0 is required to pass. I'm right on the borderline. It's not like I slacked off or anything because the average is right around this value, maybe a bit higher. Also, the graduation rate for my school is 68%... VERY low.
 
GPA of 2.1??

Is that a pass?

And I guess i'm >3.5 , with on average 1-2hrs daily? something like that. Some weeks I barely study, others I study more. I included working on assignments labs etc in that time.
Where did you go to school Requiem?
 
I need a C or above to pass any professional class, so my pro GPA is slightly above 2.5.

I don't study everyday though and usually study the 2 days before any given exam, so I guess 12 hours avereaged over a week is good for 1-3 hours a day.

No comment on school, but it's in the Northeast US.
 
Hey folks, I thought it would be interesting to post what your pharmacy GPA is and how much time do you spend on studying each day (I mean weekdays). If possible, please also indicate which schools you go to. Currently, I have a GPA of 2.1 of spending 6 hrs of studying each day after school. I currently go to ACP

I recently graduated from the University of Florida (Gainesville) with a 3.80 GPA. I was in the 1-3 hours per day range in regard to studying. However, during finals week of my 2PD year, the average hours per day was probably around 12.
 
It really bothers me that every time a thread like this comes out, there's someone who has to imply that if you have a high gpa it must mean that your school is easy. I have a high gpa and I work hard for it. There are plenty of people at my school who struggle and have failed out (or at least are repeating the year) and I resent the fact that if I ended the year with a good gpa it must mean that my school gives away grades.
 
I recently graduated from the University of Florida (Gainesville) with a 3.80 GPA. I was in the 1-3 hours per day range in regard to studying. However, during finals week of my 2PD year, the average hours per day was probably around 12.


I'm not sure what you mean by 2PD, but if it's 2nd year pharmacy then that seems to be the reknown hell year for many schools. Mine was brutal.
 
It really bothers me that every time a thread like this comes out, there's someone who has to imply that if you have a high gpa it must mean that your school is easy. I have a high gpa and I work hard for it. There are plenty of people at my school who struggle and have failed out (or at least are repeating the year) and I resent the fact that if I ended the year with a good gpa it must mean that my school gives away grades.

If it helps, you should want to do well on your own accord. Not the "respect" or "admiration" you'll get from others, cause you won't even get that. That kinda stops at high school.

Don't sweat it mang.
 
I'm not sure what you mean by 2PD, but if it's 2nd year pharmacy then that seems to be the reknown hell year for many schools. Mine was brutal.

Oh yeah....that year made half of my class alcoholics, the other half put on Xanax....except the ones on prophylactic Adderal therapy...

Honestly, they should just give amphetamines to all health sciences students. It's like the academic version of anabolic steroids in sports.
 
If it helps, you should want to do well on your own accord. Not the "respect" or "admiration" you'll get from others, cause you won't even get that. That kinda stops at high school.

Don't sweat it mang.

I have no interest in doing well for the "respect" or "admiration" of others, I work hard because I enjoy what I'm doing and I want to learn everything I can (I'm paying for it, so why would I waste it?) My point isn't that I'm not being respected enough, it's that I think it's unfair, judgemental, and ignorant to assume that just because someone does well in school that their school sucks or gives grades away.
 
I have no interest in doing well for the "respect" or "admiration" of others, I work hard because I enjoy what I'm doing and I want to learn everything I can (I'm paying for it, so why would I waste it?) My point isn't that I'm not being respected enough, it's that I think it's unfair, judgemental, and ignorant to assume that just because someone does well in school that their school sucks or gives grades away.

So what? Why do you care what they think? Do you have that much free time, or not enough important things to worry about, that it matters to you what others think? Or even worse, what you think others think?

Chill.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what? Why do you care what they think? Do you have that much free time, or not enough important things to worry about, that it matters to you what others think? Or even worse, what you think others think?

Chill.

It's the internet. Everyone's a savant and our farts smell like jasmine.
 
Hey folks, I thought it would be interesting to post what your pharmacy GPA is and how much time do you spend on studying each day (I mean weekdays). If possible, please also indicate which schools you go to. Currently, I have a GPA of 2.1 of spending 6 hrs of studying each day after school. I currently go to ACP

hey cy19861126, what about a GPA of 4.0 option? I know many of us in pharmacy school have that and I didn't see that as an option, so I was stuck choosing >3.5 🙁
 
hey cy19861126, what about a GPA of 4.0 option? I know many of us in pharmacy school have that and I didn't see that as an option, so I was stuck choosing >3.5 🙁

hmmmm... at ISU we have a couple of professors that refuse to give A's for classes like case studies. The best that you can get is an A-. Needless to say, it's very, very difficult to get >3.5, and my GPA of ~3.4 puts me within reach of rho chi at this point. I still would like to do better, though.
 
it's really hard for me to log in more than 2 hrs a day for studying due to commuting, work, and the exhaustion from 8am classes. so i just get the assignments done and prep for tests starting from a week to the night before depending on the class.
 
hey cy19861126, what about a GPA of 4.0 option? I know many of us in pharmacy school have that and I didn't see that as an option, so I was stuck choosing >3.5 🙁
Sorry, I was trying to add that as an option, but SDN won't let me edit it
 
To be honest, I think pharmacy schools are not supposed to be hard at all. I think pharmacy schools are designed to be difficult only in private schools, so that they can flunk students and get more money out of them when they retake classes. What an unethical way to get money out of the poor student's pocket. And yes, ACP is one of them.😡
 
I am hovering just shy of the 3.5 mark, but the number of hours I study a day varies widely. Depends on the test schedule or other priorities I have going on. Some weeks I dont study at all. Other weeks every free moment is taken. So I chose 1-3h daily.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think he's talking about when he has to "ADD" all the things going on in his life at once, cause pharmacy school is all about juggling.

Probably more along the lines of Attention Deficit Disorder.
 
It affects me. I'll be sitting in class...and 15 seconds later...I'm daydreaming about being a pirate. And, no, I have no control over it. Once I was in class and the lecture started. First thing out of the professors mouth, "So, can somebody name an opiod? You?" *points at me* "I'm sorry, I didn't hear the question." I was daydreaming about...something....

And..no...I don't have enough money for Adderall or to see a psychiatrist. But, hey, I still got through 3 years of pharmacy school without ever really attending a lecture intellectually. I think it's an accomplishment.
 
GPA doesn't matter, I still got a good job! screw you, GPA! mine was 3.2 and I my studying was erratic - zero for many days and then 5-6 hours two nights before a test.
Can I ask you how you study because I'm studying for 5-6 hours EVERYDAY and 9 hours the night before the test and I'm only getting a 2.1!!! 🙁
 
It affects me. I'll be sitting in class...and 15 seconds later...I'm daydreaming about being a pirate. And, no, I have no control over it. Once I was in class and the lecture started. First thing out of the professors mouth, "So, can somebody name an opiod? You?" *points at me* "I'm sorry, I didn't hear the question." I was daydreaming about...something....

And..no...I don't have enough money for Adderall or to see a psychiatrist. But, hey, I still got through 3 years of pharmacy school without ever really attending a lecture intellectually. I think it's an accomplishment.

Really? Every 5 seconds I think about other things...besides being a pirate..
 
Can I ask you how you study because I'm studying for 5-6 hours EVERYDAY and 9 hours the night before the test and I'm only getting a 2.1!!! 🙁

Have you tried simply rewriting your notes and condensing them? That really helped me. I would try to do it every single day after class, but it didnt always work out that way. The process of writing things out really helps me retain information. Then I'd have everything neat and somewhat condensed so it would make studying the few days before the exam a little easier too.
 
Can I ask you how you study because I'm studying for 5-6 hours EVERYDAY and 9 hours the night before the test and I'm only getting a 2.1!!! 🙁


I completely understand what you are going through.
I pay attention in class. That is all I do. I have some family ties (and work inbetween) which keeps me in situations where at times I can not even have time to go through the test material even once before the test. For those tests I do get low grade...
For some I do prepare and balance the overall passing grades of the course.
But my GPA is very low when compared to my collegues. 😳

My point: though have less grades doesn't mean you know less than others.
I know a student who thinks know cardiology inside out and don't know which statin doesn't go through cyp metabolism, don't know the difference between HIV positives and AIDS. But the day of the exam can tell the line# and page# of adverse effects atypical psychotics mentioned and Has gpa around 3.:scared:

When I see situations like this I feel my self better.😉 Deep in my heart I do feel conscious about my gpa but hey as long as I hear and see things like this my day goes by and soon i be out of the school and could care less about grades.

Pay attention to the lecture. You get used to the prof pattern and know where they are emphasizing and mostly ask in hte exam. For inschool tests. Dont know how the NAPLEX is going to be yet.

All that matters is what and how much you know.
 
Have you tried simply rewriting your notes and condensing them? That really helped me. I would try to do it every single day after class, but it didnt always work out that way. The process of writing things out really helps me retain information. Then I'd have everything neat and somewhat condensed so it would make studying the few days before the exam a little easier too.

This is great advice. I have to rewrite my notes as well. But I'm not super organized, so I usually end up doing it the week before the test - which means that I don't retain as much. I'm going to try to change my study habits next year. I think not working will be a help 🙂
 
Studying a lot is grossly overrated. I have reviewed the notes the night before (or for a couple nights, if that was a major exam, like Therapeutics final) and still finished with a 3.78 GPA, that considering that in professional courses our A started with 95%. It's more the question of understanding how things work - if it "clicks" there is no need to waste hours on memorization, IMHO.
 
Studying a lot is grossly overrated. I have reviewed the notes the night before (or for a couple nights, if that was a major exam, like Therapeutics final) and still finished with a 3.78 GPA, that considering that in professional courses our A started with 95%. It's more the question of understanding how things work - if it "clicks" there is no need to waste hours on memorization, IMHO.

I'd see where you were coming from for med chem or even pharmacology, but therapeutics stuff is pure memorization.
 
I'd see where you were coming from for med chem or even pharmacology, but therapeutics stuff is pure memorization.

It still builds on pharmacology. There are a lot more similarities than differences, and understanding a mechanism of action often gives a good understanding of therapeutic effect and side effects. What I did, during lectures I would build logical links within the material being taught, so that would seem instinctive to me, on the spinal cord level. Then I wouldn't need to memorize it - my common sense would tell me how it should be.
 
I would say understanding is much more important than just pure memorization. The school wants you to apply what you've learned when you graduate, not just reciting them
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say understanding is much more important than just pure memorization. The school wants you to apply what you've learned when you graduate, not just reciting them

I agree...I have a hard time memorizing info for tests just to get a good grade. I am going to have to use this info when I graduate in a real life setting, so I would rather actually learn it and if I don't get a 3.5 or a 4.0 oh well at least I know what I am talking about...just my opinion 🙂
 
So I guess the people with low GPA's will not do residencies? It just seems difficult to compete for one or two spots in a residency with a low GPA.
 
So I guess the people with low GPA's will not do residencies? It just seems difficult to compete for one or two spots in a residency with a low GPA.

Why? Same as in pharmacy school admissions, grades aren't everything. Many programs don't even ask for a transcript until AFTER they accept you/rank you for Match. Out of 15 people in my class (65) who applied for postgraduate training (11 of them went to residencies participating in Match) only one didn't match. She had GPA above 3.8.
 
Why? Same as in pharmacy school admissions, grades aren't everything. Many programs don't even ask for a transcript until AFTER they accept you/rank you for Match. Out of 15 people in my class (65) who applied for postgraduate training (11 of them went to residencies participating in Match) only one didn't match. She had GPA above 3.8.
I guess I'm just "old-fashioned". I didn't do PharmCAS, so I probably won't do the Match thing either.
I'm hoping to do an internship then a rotation at the site where I want to do my residency. If I do an internship there, they will already have a copy of my transcript from my application.
 
I recently graduated from the University of Florida (Gainesville) with a 3.80 GPA. I was in the 1-3 hours per day range in regard to studying. However, during finals week of my 2PD year, the average hours per day was probably around 12.
What? are you serious? How can you study 12 hrs per day? What about lunch, sleep, and maybe some entertainment? Don't you have classes during the day as well?