What is your specialty of choice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your specialty of choice?

• Primary Care (FP, OB/GYN, Peds)

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Internal Medicine (or IM subspecialty)

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Orthopedics

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Neuro/Neurosurgery

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anesthesiology

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Radiology

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • OMM

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters

Canuck99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When and if you get into medical school for fall 2006, what specialty do you plan on pursuing?

Members don't see this ad.

The nice thing is that everything is always subject to change.

ayznshorti said:
The nice thing is that everything is always subject to change.

Very true, and more than likely it will change at least once by the time you really have to make a decision.

Just thought we could all have fun with this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not certain, but I am guessing it will be one of the following: pathology, hematology, radiology, ENT, anesthesia, radiology oncology, urology, or emergency medicine.

I know for certain that I will do anything to avoid primary care. I think I would go insane with that type of work. :sleep: :barf: :thumbdown:

goodrain said:
You forgot the option of "uncertain" or "I Don't know."

I didnt forget, just didnt include it. you can choose "other" if you would like.

I chose "other" b/c plastics was not on the list.

IM followed by Cardiology or Hematology

PlasticMan said:
I chose "other" b/c plastics was not on the list.

Yeah, neither is Ophthalmology. OP, I think your list needs some updating.

Give me a break...if you want to specialize, goto an allopathic school

PittMedicine said:
Why? Are you looking down your nose at us for considering DO programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
PittMedicine said:

Give me a break, give me a break. Break me off a piece of that KitKat bar.

Canuck99 said:
Give me a break, give me a break. Break me off a piece of the KitKat bar.

yum, kitkat.

on a serious note, since about 50% of grads of most osteopathic schools don't do primary care, i can't really see the point of pittmedicine's post.

I actually know (and know of) more DO's who are EM docs and orthopedic surgeons than I do those who are primary care docs.

But since PittMedicine is obviously so well placed as a Basic EMT and premed to judge this, I think we should all heed his advice. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Praetorian said:
Why? Are you looking down your nose at us for considering DO programs?

quite the contrary...I probably have more respect for the D.O. profession...maybe not the people who want to become D.O.s though

don't mean to sound rude, but D.O.s maybe able to specialize, but they are meant to do primary care,,,it's their calling (I believe D.O.s can solve long term health care issues w/ primary care b/c they focus so much on preventative care)

seems to me that specializing is an M.D. thing (few exceptions)

those that would already like to specialize before even applying...I'm questioning their true intentions as a medical doctor serious about osteopathic medicine

PittMedicine said:
quite the contrary...I probably have more respect for the D.O. profession...maybe not the people who want to become D.O.s though

don't mean to sound rude, but D.O.s maybe able to specialize, but they are meant to do primary care,,,it's their calling (I believe D.O.s can solve long term health care issues w/ primary care b/c they focus so much on preventative care)

those that would already like to specialize before even applying...I'm questioning their true intentions as a medical doctor serious about osteopathic medicine

why is it a do's calling to do primary care? if you look at official publications by the aoa and osteopathic schools, they do mention that do's are well-represented in primary care but also that do's can specialize. why would there be osteopathic specialty residencies if that weren't part of the mission of osteopathic medicine?

and who are you to question people's motivations when you obviously know very little about osteopathic medicine? hopefully, you don't mention things like this at osteopathic interviews, especially considering your odds are high of interviewing with a do who specializes.

for reference, here's an offical statement from aacom about osteopathic medicine.

http://www.aacom.org/om.html

PittMedicine said:

Your a joke.

PittMedicine said:

I plan on going into Geriatrics, and I think that DO is a better approach for it. A lot of health problems with the elderly can be reduced with preventative medicine. There are a lot of parts of Osteopathic medicine that will be very useful for Geriatrics, and I am sure that this is also true for other specialty fields.

exlawgrrl said:
whatever. :rolleyes:

personally, i want to do psych. i'm also thinking about im, ob/gyn and pm&r, so i'm undecided. :)

Hi kitty kat, can I be your first psych patient... I need a "edit" DOc!

notnarcsDO said:
I plan on going into Geriatrics, and I think that DO is a better approach for it. A lot of health problems with the elderly can be reduced with preventative medicine. There are a lot of parts of Osteopathic medicine that will be very useful for Geriatrics, and I am sure that this is also true for other specialty fields.
Why geriatrics?

Having been a paramedic for 14+ years, EM is my off the cuff answer. I am also very interested in Anest,Ortho, and Gen surgery. Where I am a medic,SE Michigan, D.O.'s are quite prevalant. I agree with Pratoriean. that there are a lot of EM D.O.'s. Listen, a doctor is a doctor. Those with the elitist attitude. be it allopathic or osteopathic, will be the ones to avoid. Any way, good luck to all thos e applyibg this year and the coming years. See you in the trenches.

Rob

I worked as a CNA in a Telemetry ward for over two years, and I found the work of cardiologists to be absolutely fascinating and dynamic. SO:

1)Invasive Cardiology
2)Pulmonary Hypertension
3)Intensivist
4)Internal Med.

PITT---Could you let us all know which specialty you're going to choose, as well as where you plan on practicing so that we can all send our referrals(and family members) elsewhere? Thanks, gunner! :D

Interesting distribution. I wonder it the results would be any different if the poll were on the pre-allo forum?

notnarcsDO said:
That is awesome that you are planning to specialize in Geriatrics. There is definitely a shortage! I went to med school planning to do the same, but I just really like psychiatry. Your elderly patients will appreciate your OMM skills, which will both reduce a lot of their pain and save them from the side effects of many pain meds!

Praetorian said:
Why geriatrics?

Why not? I'm hoping youre not going to give me the usual "old people smell, they are gross lecture".
I have always had a passion for the elderly (my mother is a nursing home administrator). I have a very close relationship with my grandmother, and spend a lot of time volunteering for hospice, adult day care, and nursing homes. I am actually a Gerontology major. Not only are the elderly amazing people to get to know(once you give them a chance), but it is also going to be a HUGE field in the future. If people like me do not do it, then who will?

futuredo32 said:
That is awesome that you are planning to specialize in Geriatrics. There is definitely a shortage! I went to med school planning to do the same, but I just really like psychiatry. Your elderly patients will appreciate your OMM skills, which will both reduce a lot of their pain and save them from the side effects of many pain meds!

Thanks!!! I love the field, and I hope I stick with it. Most people my age do not support this decision, so it is good to hear encouragement from peers. :thumbup:

notnarcsDO said:
Why not? I'm hoping youre not going to give me the usual "old people smell, they are gross lecture".
I have always had a passion for the elderly (my mother is a nursing home administrator). I have a very close relationship with my grandmother, and spend a lot of time volunteering for hospice, adult day care, and nursing homes. I am actually a Gerontology major. Not only are the elderly amazing people to get to know(once you give them a chance), but it is also going to be a HUGE field in the future. If people like me do not do it, then who will?
You can certainly have it- while I really do respect the elderly, having dealt with them a GREAT deal as an RT (one of my patients was sunbathing on Ford Island as the attack on Pearl Harbor began)- I have no interest in being a gerentologist. Granted it will be a huge field in the future, but it still holds little interest to me because it is nothing more than a specialized form of general practice- think of it as reverse pediatrics. More power to ya. :thumbup: It's a very respectable track you've picked out for yourself.

thanks for the support....I have also dealt with some very difficult ones, but for some reason, I still really love it. I kinda see why my friends think that its odd, as it is very abnormal for a 21 year old. Oh...and for reference, its Geriatrician, a gerontologist is one with a PhD in gerontology (i get that all the time). But yes, it is pretty much general practice, I agree there.