What job will help with the application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown3234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Well my wife and I have decided to have her go to nursing school before I apply to medical school. I don't think its right to make her wait 4 or 5 years to go. So now I am thinking of getting a job that would look good on my med school application. I haven't thought about it much yet, have been pretty busy this semester with bio 2 and o chem. Hoping some of guys might have some suggestions. While working I will be going to school part time.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unknown3234 said:
Hi.
Well my wife and I have decided to have her go to nursing school before I apply to medical school. I don't think its right to make her wait 4 or 5 years to go. So now I am thinking of getting a job that would look good on my med school application. I haven't thought about it much yet, have been pretty busy this semester with bio 2 and o chem. Hoping some of guys might have some suggestions. While working I will be going to school part time.
Thanks.

How about something that will allow patient interaction ? Hospice worker, home healthcare, tutoring for sick kids in hospitals....when I interviewed, my interviewer was very impressed that I had helped teach kids in a children's hospital.

Unknown3234 said:
Hi.
Thanks.

Hi there,
There is no one specific job that will "look good" on your application to medical school. Choose a job that will pay well and not interfere with your studies. If your grades drop, the job should go very quickly.

One of the biggest problems with being a non-traditional applicant is that you you have financial obligations that may prevent you from devoting enough time to your studies. Try to pare things down and keep your life as simple as possible. The biggest determinant for you getting into medical school is going to be your GPA and MCAT. Make sure that you have plenty of time for both of these elements. The rest just does not matter as much unless you have somthing missing.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unknown3234 said:
Hi.
Thanks.

I recommend a night job that doesn't require a lot of actual work - you can study all shift! Furthermore, your course choices are not as limited because you are free all day (though I recommend taking classes in "chunks" so you can get 8 hrs sleep at once, instead of two 4-hr naps which was me for one year). For me it was night supervisor in a homeless shelter, but for others it could be counter clerk at a convenience store, or a security guard in an office building, etc... You won't make much money but it will minimize the effect on your grades. It will **** up your internal clock and you'll be tired all the time, but I like to think of that as "residency prep".

My major advice is don't go to school part-time if you are still trying to qualify for med school. Work part-time and take out loans if you have to, or go to school full-time and work nights full-time. Most med schools won't even look at any grades you got part time (in my case, a year of 4 classes/semester was ignored despite 30 hours of work/week; my argument that I could have easily taken 1 more class and kept up my average if I didn't have my job, fell on deaf ears).

However, I suspect you already qualify for med school from your post ("I decided to delay applying etc.") so why are you going to school at all?

-Cat

trustwomen said:
I recommend a night job that doesn't require a lot of actual work - you can study all shift! Furthermore, your course choices are not as limited because you are free all day (though I recommend taking classes in "chunks" so you can get 8 hrs sleep at once, instead of two 4-hr naps which was me for one year). For me it was night supervisor in a homeless shelter, but for others it could be counter clerk at a convenience store, or a security guard in an office building, etc... You won't make much money but it will minimize the effect on your grades. It will **** up your internal clock and you'll be tired all the time, but I like to think of that as "residency prep".

My major advice is don't go to school part-time if you are still trying to qualify for med school. Work part-time and take out loans if you have to, or go to school full-time and work nights full-time. Most med schools won't even look at any grades you got part time (in my case, a year of 4 classes/semester was ignored despite 30 hours of work/week; my argument that I could have easily taken 1 more class and kept up my average if I didn't have my job, fell on deaf ears).

However, I suspect you already qualify for med school from your post ("I decided to delay applying etc.") so why are you going to school at all?

-Cat

I think it depends on the school. I've talked with at least half a dozen schools who prefer better grades while taking 6 hours a semester than less than stellar grades while taking a full load.

Besides, GPA is only a part of your application.

Well I decided to keep going to school so I didn't have a gap, 2 years, where I wasn't going to school before I applied. I am not sure it this would be a big deal or not, what do you guys think?
I will have to look into being a part-time worker and see if it will work out. It would probably be pretty tight for us but it would probably be okay. If I go that route, I have thought about doing a master's program or electing to complete a double major in those two years. I am majoring in Psychology now and would add Biology if I went the double major path. I like the double major as it will increase my science GPA even more and show that I can complete some upper level sciences. As for the master’s program, I would elect to complete an MBA. I think the double major would be the best route unless you guys see something wrong; I am open to opinions on this.
Thanks for the advice, thus far.

I am a non-trad student who (despite good grades and MCAT scores) is routinely getting rejected from med schools. Do yourself a favor: GET A JOB IN CLINICAL OR LAB RESEARCH. I just had a LONG talk with the clinical director of a very large, top-ranked NYC hospital - she also serves on the admissions committee at Columbia U.'s med school. She says more and more med schools are looking for researchers - students who will "bring in the money" from the NIH or elsewhere for developing research. Try to get involved in a study or project and STAY involved for as long as possible - the commitment looks good to med schools.

Hope this has been helpful.

Unknown3234 said:
Hi.
Thanks.

NonTradMed said:
How about something that will allow patient interaction ? Hospice worker, home healthcare, tutoring for sick kids in hospitals....when I interviewed, my interviewer was very impressed that I had helped teach kids in a children's hospital.

How did you go about securing that position?