Other OT-Related Information What jobs give me relative work experience for OT school that can also pay the bills ($40,000+)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaseh Howerd

Reaction score
I'm currently a Junior Biology major with a minor in Psychology, Healthcare Administration and Chemistry at Texas State University. I plan on taking a leap year after I graduate before I apply to OT school (need to take A&P1+2 and get more observation hours). With that in mind, I was wondering what jobs could I work during that year that could be applicable to my OT school application. I know that generally working as a rehab aid or a CNA is the way to get experience, and I dont mind volunteering as either one while in school (Currently an RA, so I get housing and meals payed for, plus a stipend), but once I graduate, I need to start making more money so I can support not just myself, but my family. I was thinking about trying to work as a Clinical Research Coordinator when I graduate ( gonna start undergrad research this spring), any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on where you live working as an ABA/RBT you might be able to make 40,000 on the higher end of the pay scale and if you work in a clinic as opposed to doing in-home you will likely work alongside OT's and it would give you some relevant work experience for when you apply to school.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with Texas State’s A&P. That teacher is toughhhhh. (The nursing one)

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on where you live working as an ABA/RBT you might be able to make 40,000 on the higher end of the pay scale and if you work in a clinic as opposed to doing in-home you will likely work alongside OT's and it would give you some relevant work experience for when you apply to school.
Thank you for the reply! Im actually looking into it now. In my area, the pay starts off low, but after a year or so of experience it raises to around $40k. Plan is to volunteer/part time there while in school for a year, then move to a full-time position when I graduate.

Good luck with Texas State’s A&P. That teacher is toughhhhh. (The nursing one)
So I've heard as well. I wont be taking it at Texas State (I seem to be "major locked" from taking the class. Will most likely take it at a community college.

Last question for anyone still willing. Being a Biology major, I have the opportunity to do undergrad research with a Bio professor for a semester ( it'll count as credit towards my degree plan). I wanted to know if I should try, or is it even worth it to have on my resume? I'm thinking that if I do it, I wont have enough time to work as a RBT part time (I would do both at the same time, but not that talented lol). So which would you consider more important, getting the ABA /RBT work experience or the research experience. If schools are taken into account (will most likely email them about this as well ), I plan on applying to UT El Paso, UTRGV, UTSA, TTHSC and LSUHCS New Orleans.

I highly recommend taking your A&P through a 4 year. Community college is great for getting the grade you want, but it is almost light years away from what you will do in Anatomy for your first year of OT school. You really should do the challenging one, because you will have a huge learning curve once you start grad level Anatomy. I did one of each.. one at the 4 year and one at community college and I really regret the community college one, where everything was too basic.

Eh, that's not the case for everyone. I was a career-changer and so I had no choice but to take A&P I and II at a community college, and I felt adequately prepared to get through Anatomy in OT school. If the OP doesn't really have a viable option, they will be fine.

Yes aba if you can get the RBT it’s better. I make 65k working as a rbt rn.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd say get a job for a health insurance plan or health care system. I worked for healthcare and got accepted. Outside of work I volunteered in OT clinic and got plenty of shadowing hours. Working in healthcare brings knowledge of the system to the classroom that other classmates will lack by working in ABA/etc.

I worked for a PACE Program and now a Medicaid CHC program. I know how Medicare and Medicaid work together and know the PACE/LIFE Program. I really think these made me stand out in the interviews because it is relevant knowledge that will someday apply to my job when I go to bill.

If you cannot find a career in a clinical/hands on position, I would highly consider staying in healthcare and earning an admin type position.

Another option for work is at an elementary school with a special ed program, you could be an aide or paraprofessional. If you're interested in peds it would be great experience, plus exposes you to many other related positions. I am currently taking a "prereq year" and starting OT school in the Fall and have been working with special ed this school year. I love it!

I would say the research will look better on your resume, also it is a talking point for your interviews. You will have your OT shadow hours as a talking point for the hands in experience and how you’ve become inspired by the field. So, in my personal opinion, I believe being interested in research (and hopefully presenting at a symposium) makes your application stand out.

Also I have taken A&P 1&2 at a 4yr as well as a community college. I learned WAY more at my community college. It was a smaller class and it gave us more opportunity to interact with the teacher and get hands on in lab! I retook it at a community college to make my prereq GPA more competitive, so now I have A’s in both.

Just my two cents! Do what you feel is in your best interest and what aligns with your goals more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! Currently doing Social Cognitive and Neuroscience undergrad research and I love it so far! I plan on staying in the lab till I graduate, so will get 1 year of experience by then. Do you know any jobs I can continue to do research during that gap year that'll pay in the above mentioned range? I know its unlikely since ill only have a bachelors.

Thanks for the advice! Currently doing Social Cognitive and Neuroscience undergrad research and I love it so far! I plan on staying in the lab till I graduate, so will get 1 year of experience by then. Do you know any jobs I can continue to do research during that gap year that'll pay in the above mentioned range? I know its unlikely since ill only have a bachelors.

I’m not really sure where you could work that is gonna pay you 40k+ a year. I guess it depends on the state you live in. You don’t need to focus on getting a research centered job since you already have the experience during undergrad. I would look into rehab tech jobs or something along those lines to get some healthcare related experience.