What kind of gloves do you have in clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aida87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ours are very thin--and since I am a beginner, does anyone have any recommendations of better ones I can buy?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the title of this thread should have been:

"What kind of rubbers do you have in clinic?"

In school it was all latex free (nitrile).

At residency we have both, but right now the large gloves are only nitrile. I'm not sure if we ran out of latex or switching over or what. I personally like the feel of the latex gloves but the nitrile are still good.

Members don't see this ad :)
we used to be latex with the option of nitrile, but we recently switched to all nitrile. i still don't like them as much as latex.

They had switched gloves a lot while I was in school-- trying different brands and such. They ended up getting the Kimberly-Clark gray nitrile gloves 4th year, and they were my favorite. They had Comfort-Grip or something like that which were also really nice, but they quit getting those because of the cost I think.

Do you know where I could buy those grey ones for myself? They have these cheap little lavender ones for us--and it seems way too easy to cut or poke yourself.

Do you know where I could buy those grey ones for myself? They have these cheap little lavender ones for us--and it seems way too easy to cut or poke yourself.

I am not sure if the gray ones are any different from the lavender ones. My guess is you can find them online through dental/medical supply companies. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the gloves being "easy to cut or poke yourself." Truth is-- if you are going to cut yourself with a scalpel blade it is going to go through all gloves except maybe utility gloves. Same goes for getting a bur caught in your gloves. It will likely go right through them, no matter how thin or thick the gloves are. And poking yourself-- if you are referring to a needlestick, it will go right through the gloves too. What I have found to be the most annoying thing with "cheap" gloves is that they get wet easily and make it difficult to hold instruments and such, and this is just from saliva and the air/water syringe.