What kind of GPA is needed to get into average rated 3 year residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAFOOT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't matter. a solid knowledge base from a good school and a good externship month are all you need. An month externship and a 3.0 are far better than a 4.0 and just an interview when it comes to being ranked by a program. Some people will disagree with me but just ask any fourth year student who just went through the interview process and I think you will find most agree.

doesn't matter. a solid knowledge base from a good school and a good externship month are all you need. An month externship and a 3.0 are far better than a 4.0 and just an interview when it comes to being ranked by a program. Some people will disagree with me but just ask any fourth year student who just went through the interview process and I think you will find most agree.

I agree. The bottom line is that, for the majority of programs that have a GPA requirement, it is around a 3.0 and some programs really aren't that strict on the requirement. Do the best you can obviously but a 3.0 and above will at least put you in the running for the majority of residency programs.

if i get slightly below a 3.0 will i be restricted to a lot of programs?

i was reading JAPMA and there was an article in this december edition that they are trying to ensure that every single graduating DPM will get a residency. Plus during our APMA school visit, they said by 2010 all residencies will be 3yr ones. So if you add these two. You really dont have to be worried abt gettin in a 3yr residency. The only thing that you should worry is whether you will end up in a top residency program or an average residency program. But 3yr residency is 100% guarantee for us by the time we graduate. (ofcourse you shudnt be like failing all subjects or be really really bad:))

Uh, not by 2010, by "2015" will they (hopefully) be all 3 year residencies.

if i get slightly below a 3.0 will i be restricted to a lot of programs?

I had a 2.9 and did a PPMR and PSR-24 and was chief resident my third year. I finished residency a few years ago. The programs vary so much and there are so many other things they look at other than GPA. Like for instance, did you extern with them and make a good impression?

As was mentioned, gpa isn't the end all and be all. All of the schools have different grading systems and rules (ie DMU is % system, OCPM is straight letter grades, Scholl is +/-, Barry has no "re-takes"). You do want the highest gpa you can muster simply to help attain all the externships you want and at least give yourself a fighting chance to visit and show what you know.

You'd be extremely surprised how much the geographic location of the residency program can matter also. If your gpa is subpar but you still desire good training, you probably stand a better chance of finding it if you are flexible with location. I think there are some pretty good programs that are not terribly competitive just due to location, and, conversely, there are some highly sought after residencies that aren't necessarily a head and shoulders above others (they're just below in them latitude).

As was mentioned, gpa isn't the end all and be all. All of the schools have different grading systems and rules (ie DMU is % system, OCPM is straight letter grades, Scholl is +/-, Barry has no "re-takes")...

Please excuse my ignorance about this subject but what exactly do you mean by no re-takes at Barry? On individual test or the class in general? And which system do you think works best for the students at the different schools?

Please excuse my ignorance about this subject but what exactly do you mean by no re-takes at Barry? On individual test or the class in general? And which system do you think works best for the students at the different schools?
Re-takes are a comprehensive exam given to people who fail a course. If you pass the re-take exam, you get a C/F or a C grade, get credit for the class, and are allowed to move on. I think most pod schools them... Barry does not.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=409835

As to what works best for the student, I don't really know. If you ask lower scoring students, they'd prefer a system with curves, re-takes, and low attrition rate since they don't want to fail. If you ask admins or stronger students, I'm not sure they'd want someone who passed anatomy only upon re-take or after a curve getting the same degree or hurting the school's board pass rate. IMO, the DMU or AZ system probably works best since they are in basic sciences with DO students and can't really curve grades to help poor students pass. Then again, sometimes tests don't represent the material well, and especially in courses where professors use a lot of old tests not everyone has, it's hard to make assesment a simple numbers game. Ideally, exams would be 1-on-1 oral case discussions with the professor and student, and the next best thing would at least be original exams from year to year... but nothing's perfect haha...