What kind of MCAT for MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this question isn't for me but for a friend who claims they are "computer challenged". They want to know if MSTPers need higher MCATS (or just higher GPA) and if so, what kind of range. I told him I had no idea but assumed it varied by program....

if anyone could be more helpful to him than I can be I'm sure he would appreciate it. (maybe he'd even finally join SDN!)

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP students have significantly higher MCAT scores than regular MD students. I'd estimate an overall average of about 35 for the 30 MSTP programs in the country pooled.

However, you also have to consider that the MSTP applicant pool is made up of students with much higher MCAT scores than the MD applicants. So, they are self-selecting in a way. This means that a score of, say, 30 certainly would not necessarily mean you couldn't get accepted. However, applicants with scores in the twenties might not have as much luck.

Just my opinion, based on what I've seen.

Do you think a 32 with extensive research experience and a 3.9 give you a chance at a top school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply CaNEM, I'll pass the info along. I think his MCAT is comprable but how he thinks he can do a PhD without operating a computer is beyond me ;)

thanks!

Originally posted by surge
Do you think a 32 with extensive research experience and a 3.9 give you a chance at a top school?

Yes.

Thanks guys ;)

We'll see how right you are :D