What kind of pencil?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gridguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that MCAT testing centers provide you a pencil. Is it a mechanical pencil (eg 0.7 mm graphite) or the more traditional wooden type that requires a sharpener? If it's the wooden type, are you permitted to sharpen it between sections? Are you permitted to bring your own pencil (perhaps even pen) to the testing site and use it? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT at two different testing centers and they both offered sharpened wooden pencils. You are allowed to take multiple pencils into the testing area. Don't sweat it about the pencils and scratch paper, it'll all be taken care of by the testing center.

My proctor gave me three sharpened wooden pencils at the beginning to take into the exam room with me and the first couple break he would ask me if I was doing okay with pencils and scratch paper. If I needed new pencils or more scratch paper, he would go into the exam room and switched them out with new ones while I am on my break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, just call your testing center with these questions since the answer varies from center to center.