1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What kind of pencil?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by gridguy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. gridguy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I understand that MCAT testing centers provide you a pencil. Is it a mechanical pencil (eg 0.7 mm graphite) or the more traditional wooden type that requires a sharpener? If it's the wooden type, are you permitted to sharpen it between sections? Are you permitted to bring your own pencil (perhaps even pen) to the testing site and use it? Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took the MCAT at two different testing centers and they both offered sharpened wooden pencils. You are allowed to take multiple pencils into the testing area. Don't sweat it about the pencils and scratch paper, it'll all be taken care of by the testing center.

4. harryking

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My proctor gave me three sharpened wooden pencils at the beginning to take into the exam room with me and the first couple break he would ask me if I was doing okay with pencils and scratch paper. If I needed new pencils or more scratch paper, he would go into the exam room and switched them out with new ones while I am on my break.

5. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  6. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, just call your testing center with these questions since the answer varies from center to center.

7. mohad

Pre-Medical
    =( i wanted to use my lucky pen.