what kind of photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of photo is required for secondaries?

What background?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen any specific requirements. My suggestion is to go into a very well-lit room, and stand about 5-6 feet from a bare white wall. Turn your shoulders about 20 degrees away from the camera, then look at the lens and smile. Camera should be at eye height. Don't use a flash and make sure there are no harsh shadows.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it like the gunner pre-med meme guy. Make sure the baby you hold is URM.

62sm.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it like the gunner pre-med meme guy. Make sure the baby you hold is URM.

62sm.jpg

I lol'd.

Shoulders-up headshot of you wearing professional attire. Neutral background such as a white wall, though I don't think you'd get rejected over having a plant or something in the background unless the school sends specific instructions. Do NOT send a photo of you in a group or social setting, even if the others are cropped out.

Reactions: 1 users
IE passport photo?
Is it bad if it's a graduation-type photo where you look good?

IE passport photo?
Is it bad if it's a graduation-type photo where you look good?

In cap and gown will make you look young or ridiculously proud of graduating. If your graduation photo is in a suit, it would be perfect.

I think a "senior portrait" style photo might be a bit much, since those are usually of people sitting in trees and weird stuff like that.

Here is a link to a profile of a random doctor in the UCLA medical system. This is the sort of photo I would think to send - professional attire (but don't put on a white coat obvi), smile, minimal/neutral jewelery and makeup, background that is not gaudy or distracting, and no one else in the photo.

Some schools will send specific instructions though - in that case, do what they tell you.

I think a "senior portrait" style photo might be a bit much, since those are usually of people sitting in trees and weird stuff like that.

Here is a link to a profile of a random doctor in the UCLA medical system. This is the sort of photo I would think to send - professional attire (but don't put on a white coat obvi), smile, minimal/neutral jewelery and makeup, background that is not gaudy or distracting, and no one else in the photo.

Some schools will send specific instructions though - in that case, do what they tell you.

Pictures in front of scenery or other things are perfectly fine as long as you're clearly visible. A plain white, prison-style picture isn't required.

does the photo have to be in color or is a black and white photo acceptable?

Is a headshot with the traditional black drape/pearls that sororities use ok?

I just went into a photo shop and got a couple 2 x 2 passport photos. Cornell asked for this before interview day:

"...please send a passport-style photograph (showing a full front view of your head and shoulders against a light colored background) as soon as possible."

Reactions: 1 user
Pictures in front of scenery or other things are perfectly fine as long as you're clearly visible. A plain white, prison-style picture isn't required.
I skimmed this too quickly and thought you suggested taking the pic in front of a prison.:laugh:

So I took a picture of me in my cube at work with other cubes in the background....... thoughts?