What kind of random things/achievements about you can help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs37982

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So obviously the pharm schools look at GPA, PCAT, pharmacy experience and stuff. I have the GPA, I have the PCAT score, however I have pretty much no experience at all.

Basically I was just wondering what type of random things and achievements can be helpful to you and make you stand out or look good? Just for an example, if you won a state level competition in a sport or instrument you play or something.

For me, I've always loved film and screenwriting as a hobby, and a short I wrote as a teenager caught the attention of an independent film producer online, who asked me to shoot it. It's not a huge successful film or anything, but the fact that I have a credit to a tiny, short film out there is pretty outstanding. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with pharmacy, but should I bring this up in an interview/personal statement? Would it help me? Or should I just leave it out? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If during an interview you are asked about yourself, you could certainly add the things that you mentioned. It would only not help you if you present yourself in a strange or goofy manner during your interview.

I have one of the rarest hobbies that I have ever known.. I raise ant colonies under controled observation in my home. But when I tell people about it, I speak in confidence and show a true joy/interest in the hobby. It all just depends on how you communicate.

Good luck.

Put that down in your application and when it comes up during interviews, exhibit your passion for film-making and screenwriting. You'll score points for setting yourself apart from the crowd. It would be a detriment if you didn't put it in imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a touring band endorsed by Pepsi/Frito Lay, random clothing companies, and everything else. My personal statement is more about life experience since I already have a BS and have been working for a year, so I might have a sentence or two about it. Screenwriting is something different, but don't write a page about it.

Quick question... where on the application would I put this? The personal statement's prompt is specific to why you want to do pharmacy, so how would I bring up my screenwriting hobby? Where else on the application do you put this stuff?

Quick question... where on the application would I put this? The personal statement's prompt is specific to why you want to do pharmacy, so how would I bring up my screenwriting hobby? Where else on the application do you put this stuff?

You can put it as an extracurricular.

you can put it in extracurricular. or in one of those "what makes you unique" personal statements if it made a big impact in your life. I think it'll set you apart from the cookie-cutters.

You can put it as an extracurricular.

You can put hobbies as extracurriculars? I thought those were for organizations and clubs, not just random hobbies or achievements.

You can put hobbies as extracurriculars? I thought those were for organizations and clubs, not just random hobbies or achievements.
I thought the same thing as well. I don't think its for random hobbies. But hey, if that's all you got then put it down. Having SOMETHING in that area is better than nothing.

I would avoid putting hobbies in the Extracurriculars section. You can mention your interests during the interview.