What laptop do you use and what do you wish you got instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FancyFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm debating trading in my 2011 Macbook Pro for the shinier version before D1 classes in August, but I was wondering what you guys and most of your class uses. Please include screen size of your PC/Mac so I can get a general idea of wether to get the 13" or the 15" in the Macbook or another laptop if I'm swayed.

Members don't see this ad.

Dell XPS 13". Some schools will purchase laptops for their students with their tuition and others have certain requirements for laptops so make sure you are free to get whatever you want before shelling out money for one.

I have a dual screen (34 inches and 24 inches) for my own PC, and I prefer studying lectures off of that set up than the small screen of my laptop.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
13' MBP. Love it. Air is not powerful enough to last 4 years IMO, and 15' will be a little cumbersome to carry.

If you are considering the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar you should contact your school first because currently the testing software that many schools use is not capable of turning off the touch bar and thus you will not be able to use the computer for exams.

XPS 13 (with 8gb RAM), or 2017 Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 (huge positive changes from the 2016 model year, which was also a great laptop). Search for educational or corporate discounts. 15" laptops are generally on the bulkier side for hauling between classes - the Dell XPS 15 is an exception, but I don't have any experience with that one.

So I'm debating trading in my 2011 Macbook Pro for the shinier version before D1 classes in August, but I was wondering what you guys and most of your class uses. Please include screen size of your PC/Mac so I can get a general idea of wether to get the 13" or the 15" in the Macbook or another laptop if I'm swayed.

Going to be making a switch to the Surface line. Microsoft is making a big comeback against Apple, and Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book are both fantastic products.

We all got iPads at our school, but a lot of people don't use it. I've seen lots of people using microsoft surfaces. I personally use a macbook pro and it's yet to fail me.

Here's an awesome side-by-side comparison of the MacBook Pro vs. the Surface Book:

iPad pro 9.7 inch and never look back. A ton of people in my class bought them on top of laptops because they are that useful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The surface is the unanimous favourite at our school.

Surface Pro or Surface Book?

The surface pro! Very powerful for its size and extremely useful. you just get way more specs for the price in my opinion. Apple products are great, but you end up paying a lot just for that little bitten apple logo on the back.