What luggage did you bring to your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomdeplume

(nom nom nom)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What luggage did you bring on your interview trip?

Specifically, did you try to only bring carry-on bags or did you check something? Did you bring a garment bag for your suit/formal clothes, fold it up in some other type of bag, or do something else entirely?

I think there's a lot to be said for packing light during interview trips, so please share some ideas!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What luggage did you bring on your interview trip?

Specifically, did you try to only bring carry-on bags or did you check something? Did you bring a garment bag for your suit/formal clothes, fold it up in some other type of bag, or do something else entirely?

I think there's a lot to be said for packing light during interview trips, so please share some ideas!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Cant speak for slights but this is what i had last weekend,

Laptop bag, Garmet bag for suit, plastic bag to change into street clothes for drive back

Only carry-on, for sure. Especially if you, like me, plan to go straight to the airport after the interview to save on lodging. You can leave your luggage with the office at many, if not most schools, but a large item might be a bit discourteous. I put my suit in a garment bag that folds. In larger airplanes you can hang it in the galley coat rack (ask the stewardess after people have settled into their seats, but before push-off) and in smaller ones you can either hold on to it for short flights, or fold it on the plane, and hang it overnight at the hotel/crashpad. wool suits will de-wrinkle. you can also carry a small steam iron. i actually could hang the suit in the garment bag in the credit card slot on the personal monitors on jetblue flights, so i didn't have to fold it too often even on the smaller planes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't interviewed yet, but I do travel for work (depending on my project sometimes on a weekly basis). I always carry on my bag. If you're planning on bringing it to your interview, make sure its not TOO terribly embarrassing (I'd leave the Hello-Kitty behind).

My bag is half suitcase and half garment bag and is probably the best thing ever.
http://www.ebags.com/product/victorinox/mobilizer-nxt-50-22-exp-carry-on/204080?productid=10109111

Random travel tip: I amazon'd refillable travel sized bottles that were custom sized to all my toiletries (you can get them for <$1/bottle). Plus the refillable aspect makes them cheaper after a few trips than buying new ones from the store every time.

For the interviews I flew to, I had one carefully packed carry-on duffel bag and a backpack for the laptop. There are plenty of clips around that tell you how to fold formal clothing to minimize wrinkles during travel. Also, if you're staying with student hosts, you may need to leave extra room for things like a towel or sleeping bag if they don't volunteer those sorts of things.

Many people thing the garment closets in the front of planes are for business class passengers only... They're not. Just hand your suit on a hanger (preferably covered), smile, and walk to your seat. I've done this a few times and have never had a problem. Keeps the suit clean and wrinkle free.

Last edited:
I haven't interviewed yet, but I do travel for work (depending on my project sometimes on a weekly basis). I always carry on my bag. If you're planning on bringing it to your interview, make sure its not TOO terribly embarrassing (I'd leave the Hello-Kitty behind).

My bag is half suitcase and half garment bag and is probably the best thing ever.
http://www.ebags.com/product/victorinox/mobilizer-nxt-50-22-exp-carry-on/204080?productid=10109111

Random travel tip: I amazon'd refillable travel sized bottles that were custom sized to all my toiletries (you can get them for <$1/bottle). Plus the refillable aspect makes them cheaper after a few trips than buying new ones from the store every time.

$350 for a suitcase?! That can buy a separate seat for your suit on a roundtrip flight

Many people thing the garment closets in the front of planes are for business class passengers only... They're not. Just hand your suit on a hanger (preferably covered), smile, and walk to your seat. I've done this a few times and have never had a problem. Keeps the suit clean and wrinkle free.

Smart idea.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

What's the general consensus on folding garment bags? Will they keep a suit proper for a half-day of flights and travel? I'm leaning toward buying one that folds just in case I ever run into any difficulties hanging it during on a flight.

When you get to the hotel, hang the suit in the bathroom while you take a shower. The steam will relax any wrinkles that may exist in the suit. I'm not sure I'd want to take an iron to a suit.