What made you want to go into EM as opposed to other fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, to me the field seems fascinating, saving lives.

Of course, I speak from a pre-med student's perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

cause i hate rounding and i like to work as little as possible and make as much money as possible, but still like to make an impact on people's lives and every once in a while stomp out some disease.

Q

cause i hate rounding and i like to work as little as possible and make as much money as possible, but still like to make an impact on people's lives and every once in a while stomp out some disease.

Q

ditto.

Members don't see this ad :)

Q

Can I quote this in my personal statement next year?

I like spending more time with patients more than with doctors/lab results. Also, the more new patients you're seeing in a day, the greater the chance some of them will be interesting. Finally, I think it will be much easier for me to keep my appropriate, healthy emotional distance when the doctor-patient relationships are so brief.

You get free food? Dude, that rocks.

I agree with Quinn. And the style of medicine fits me.

Were there any reasons you wanted to go into EM that were not fulfilled when you actually entered the specialty?

Honestly, to me the field seems fascinating, saving lives.

Of course, I speak from a pre-med student's perspective.

Because I have no real skills or talents and dislike almost every other specialty to which I was exposed in third and fourth year.

I like spending more time with patients more than with doctors/lab results. Also, the more new patients you're seeing in a day, the greater the chance some of them will be interesting. Finally, I think it will be much easier for me to keep my appropriate, healthy emotional distance when the doctor-patient relationships are so brief.

Agreed...you are the first to diagnose what's going on with patients. Not only that but you get to resuscitate patients who are on deaths door. All that and on your days off nobody is calling you bugging you because Mrs. Jone's K+ is 3.2...It's the best specialty in medicine.

Somewhere in 3rd year, I realized I'd rather drive a truck cross country than do any other specialty.

1) defined shifts
2) no call
3-4) less hours (avg 36-40/wk) with good pay (200k+)
5) learn a little about a lot of specialties
6) stabilize and d/c or stabilize and admit...you don't have to f/u with all the longterm treatment
7) 3-4 year residency requirement
8) don't have to deal with billing (unless you are in a private group)
9) flexibility (small/large hospital, urgent care)
10) fast paced!

Sort of on the same train of thought (well, not really, I just didn't want to start a new thread), do you (residents/attendings) ever feel nostalgic about medical school? Do you ever sit there and say, "Man, I miss the good ole days back when I was a med student"?

Sort of on the same train of thought (well, not really, I just didn't want to start a new thread), do you (residents/attendings) ever feel nostalgic about medical school? Do you ever sit there and say, "Man, I miss the good ole days back when I was a med student"?

No. At least, not the actual med studenting part.

No. At least, not the actual med studenting part.

I dunno... I do miss the rolling over, looking at the alarm clock and thinking...ya know, I dont want to go to class today. Kick off the alarm and sleep till noon.

Its hard to do that as a resident...on the flip side, as EM residents, we dont even have to bother with that alarm for several days of the week usually...

I miss the lack of responsibility (I was single, no children) and being able to just party it up. I partied more in medical school than I did in college.

But that's all I miss. I love not having to work more than 3-4 days a week, and love "being at the end of the tunnel" finally after 11 long years (college + MS + residency).

Q

Were there any reasons you wanted to go into EM that were not fulfilled when you actually entered the specialty?

I liked the idea of not having to deal with discharge planning, home nursing, home O2 and setting up all that kind of nightmare. I have found that the inpatient guys don't do that either and they just discharge people with instructions to :F/U PMD and go to the ER if you have and symptoms or concerns." So I don't have to deal with setting that stuff up but I do deal with the fact that no one else does either.

I used to think that EM had less politics than other specialties. I was totally wrong. The fact that we are contract docs means we have to be more political than anyone else.

I used to think that EM should have fewer sleepless nights worring about what happened to people you sent home because you could admit anyone you were worried about. Primariy docs and hospitalists do block admissions and you really have to pick you battles, ie. you can't pull the nucular option and force them to come and eval the patient in the ED and make a dispo on everyone. The result is discharge anxiety.

One reason I went into medicine is that I never wanted to be a salesman with a big fake smile, shaking hands and slapping backs. I always figured "If you build an ER they will come." Now with Press Ganey and HCAHPS I'm being forced to smile that big fake grin and ask "Would you like some antibiotics or narcotics with that?"

There are no thank yous for the stuff we care about. I get a lot of thank yous for doing the minor primary care stuff that isn't even real EM. But the people who come in dead and I bring them back with intubation, pressors, lines, chest tubes, etc. never. There is a good reason. When the family shows up what can you tell them? "I saved him!?" No. We have to say "He didn't have a heart beat but he's doing better now but he's really sick and it going to be touch and go for the next 24 to 48 hours. Then we'll know more about how his brain is doing." They don't know and could never appreciate the difference we make. I guess the sad part is that I don't even really miss that. But I used to like talking to families of the critical patients and these days I avoid it.

Yeah, I don't like how alot of the jobs are going from 12 hour shifts to 8 or 9. I did 8's and 12's as a student, and I'm doing 12's now in residency. Irealize 8's are over a lot earlier, but it also means I have to waste time commuting to the hospital more, instead of having a couple more dedicated days off. Besides, I've never had a shift as a resident where I was watching the clock. Then again, there's plenty of time for that.

No. College yes, med school no. Did I have good times in med school? Of course, but it usually involved extracurricular events outside of school hours. I did not enjoy being a med student at all, especially 3rd and 4th year. I felt that more times than not I was just there to get the notes done and retract. Most other times, I felt as if I wasn't even in the room. Any education I got was usually from reading I did on my own. And, I feel like I get more sleep now as a resident than a student.