What makes a good private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cro-dentist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are they? What are the most important things to do to have a good and strong practice?

P.S. You can reply on my e-mail adress
[email protected] :D

Members don't see this ad.

A good private practice is basically anything that you want it to be. Sorry to be so vague, but it's true. My idea of what a good practice is may very well be completely opposite of what a good private practice is for you. For some folks its a big city practice, for some a small country practice. Some folks want a group practice and some folks want to practice by themselves. The bottom line though is that a good practice will keep you intellectually challenged, content about yourself, and you'll make a couple of dollars to pay the bills along the way.

WOW, I never looked at it that way :) Hrm well, what I meant was, what makes a private practice work well. Not as much money wise, but so that patients fell good when they leave your office and that you don't go out of business :D . I know a good dentist is the number one factor but there has got to be more..... or is there?

You've partially hit the nail on the head already. Being a "good" dentist may not be all that your patient's think it will be, having a great chairside manor and an aimiable personality makes an even bigger impression. As scary as this sounds, you could be an awfull dentist but have the best patient rapport and have a fabulous perceived reputation with your patients. On the flip side, you could be the greatest dentist, but have an awfull chairside personality and have a poorly perceived practice. The best theory that I've found, and my patient's tell me that it's great for them, is that if you treat your patient's when they're in the chair like you'd want to be treated when your in the chair, you'll generally do pretty well. The bottom line is that your patient's have many choices about where they can go, some of them will just go where their insurance plans are accepted, some will just go to whoever can see them the quickest when they have a toothache, but most folks will go where they actually like the personality of the dentist, hygenist, and staff.