What makes an adcom reader go back to an application and re-read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone applied early, do adcom readers go back and re-read and select for future IIs? Given that it is now November, how come some applicants are getting IIs from July submissions etc? How do adcoms determine who to go back and re-read?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

What makes an adcom reader go back to an application and re-read?​

Absolutley nothing. No one has time for that. What is happening is that applications that arrived in July are finally being read. The flood of applications that arrive in the summer take months and months to get through. Also, some schools will hold off on making an interview invitation until the dates available are somewhat closes (3-4 weeks) rather than inviting someone in August to interview in December. Making invitations for dates far in advance only leads to changes in plans and requests to reschedule.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Absolutley nothing. No one has time for that. What is happening is that applications that arrived in July are finally being read. The flood of applications that arrive in the summer take months and months to get through. Also, some schools will hold off on making an interview invitation until the dates available are somewhat closes (3-4 weeks) rather than inviting someone in August to interview in December. Making invitations for dates far in advance only leads to changes in plans and requests to reschedule.
So, they do not read in the order they receive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that Admissions staff have time to read 1000+ apps in a month?
I am not an admissions staff, but from the tone of your question, I understand the answer as no. But then how do admissions staff go to some people with October submission date versus some in July? How do they keep track?

If adcoms don't go back to review an application, why do we send in update letters - if you were an applicant whom the adcom reader originally was iffy about or didn't want to extend an interview invite, how does an update letter affect that decision? Or do update letters only help if your original secondary app hasn't be reviewed yet?

If adcoms don't go back to review an application, why do we send in update letters - if you were an applicant whom the adcom reader originally was iffy about or didn't want to extend an interview invite, how does an update letter affect that decision? Or do update letters only help if your original secondary app hasn't be reviewed yet?
I am sure some adcom on SDN will answer that Q, but my Q was about applications that do not have any updates.

Do you think that Admissions staff have time to read 1000+ apps in a month?
Also, do schools get so many applications that each admissions staff member has to read 1000+ each month?

Some schools-particularly the private schools in nice areas with average to below-average matriculant stats (GW/Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin) will get on the order of 10,000 applications. To simplify, lets say that every week 100 or so applications are sent to 10 different reviewers. It will take 10 people 10 weeks to go through those applications. Those applicants will then get tiered into buckets like "interview immediately" "interview eventually" "maybe interview" and "not interview". So if you're an "interview immediately" you'll likely get notified right away. Second group, maybe right away but also maybe in a month or two when there are open spots because the first group dropped out. Third group would be waitlisted and hopefully get interviews. This is all about how they look on paper. Where I went to med school, though, your interview is what got you admittance because the fact you got an interview meant you passed the academic screen.

If you sent an update after your file was reviewed, I think this was a small enough number that one of the heads of the admission committee would look and see if it changed the bucket you were in but I'm not sure. If it was before you were reviewed (remember, most applications are sent early so you may not be reviewed 2 months after you applied) it gets tacked on to the front of your file.

Reactions: 3 users

To me this kind of calls into question the widespread advice that you have to apply early to increase your chances. Why submit primary June 1 to get verified June 21, and then rush to get secondaries in against that supposed 2-week timeline, just to have it all sit for a couple months. One would think that all July completes would be reviewed first, then all August completes, etc. I guess early is still better but sounds like it's a lot less important than advertised.

To simplify, lets say that every week 100 or so applications are sent to 10 different reviewers. It will take 10 people 10 weeks to go through those applications. Those applicants will then get tiered into buckets like "interview immediately" "interview eventually" "maybe interview" and "not interview". So if you're an "interview immediately" you'll likely get notified right away. Second group, maybe right away but also maybe in a month or two when there are open spots because the first group dropped out. Third group would be waitlisted and hopefully get interviews. This is all about how they look on paper.
This rings true to me....which is why a person who sent their app in in July and one who sent in October might both receive iis in the same week

This rings true to me....which is why a person who sent their app in in July and one who sent in October might both receive iis in the same week
Meaning person from June was in "interview eventually" or "may be interview" buckets, but the October person is int the "Interview immediately" bucket, right?

Reactions: 2 users
To me this kind of calls into question the widespread advice that you have to apply early to increase your chances. Why submit primary June 1 to get verified June 21, and then rush to get secondaries in against that supposed 2-week timeline, just to have it all sit for a couple months. One would think that all July completes would be reviewed first, then all August completes, etc. I guess early is still better but sounds like it's a lot less important than advertised.
Actually if the idea is that they immediately get put into one of 4 buckets when they arrive (as theorized above) then it makes sense that earlier applications are more likely to end up in bucket 2 or 3 rather than the reject bucket....by the time you're on application 8773, nobody looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its very simple. The earlier you apply the more interviews there are to give, the standards are a bit lowers. Think of it as a numbers game because lets be frank: at most schools it is. Your file gets a score, there is a threshold score for getting an interview. That threshold may increase as time goes on because there are less II to give. So if you have a 509 and a 3.5 getting it in early means lower threshold score for II more II to give higher chance of II.

or think of it like this. You apply right away and get put in the interview later pile. If you apply in October— that pile might already be full, or you’re at the bottom of it instead of being at the top.

Reactions: 1 users
Or think of it like this. You apply right away and get put in the interview later pile. If you apply in October— that pile might already be full, or you’re at the bottom of it instead of being at the top.
Or applying in October you're at the top instead of being at the bottom like the guy who submitted in mid-July. ;) The term "crapshoot" comes to mind.

Or applying in October you're at the top instead of being at the bottom like the guy who submitted in mid-July. ;) The term "crapshoot" comes to mind.
Well no you’re definitely not at the top. What happens is the moment your app comes in at least at my school you’re instantly sorted into piles: examples would be kids with IA, kids with really high stats. If you apply in October and have really high stats you’re still gonna have priority. But if you’re average you’re at the bottom of the average pile.

it may seem like a crapshoot to the applicant, but I promise you on the admissions side especially at my school it’s an incredibly complex system with 150 plus people involved. With 5 different committees for each stages.

Bottom-line to my original post here was to find out whether "applied in July, you still stand a chance of getting some more interviews" is worth betting on or not.

Bottom-line to my original post here was to find out whether "applied in July, you still stand a chance of getting some more interviews" is worth betting on or not.
I think it's reasonable to expect interviews in January even when you applied in July (based on last year threads). Schools like UCSD has pre-interview hold lists and then review those in January. Other schools may have holds but may not tell you.

Yes it’s not over yet

You might get an II tomorrow, or in March.

But as of right now, you're rejected, and should be planning accordingly.

Well, someone is getting read and invited in August and it won't be you if you submit your secondary in September. So that's why you are told to apply early.

However, after you apply, there is some luck involved and that can include being an applicant the school is actively seeking (URM, in-state, superhigh MCAT, etc) or just being lucky to be at the top of the stack when someone goes in to assign the next 10 applications to a reader. (Some schools might have 10 readers looking at one application but it is more likely to be just one or two readers per application). Some schools might assign applications to readers in the order they are received but some schools may sort applications and "skim the cream" daily so that highly desirable applicants are prioritized for review and possible invitation. What is "highly desirable" will vary by school.

Where the up-date letter comes in is as an update. No one is going to re-read the entire application if it has already been read and scored. The reader(s) will have written a commentary and a person making the interview invitation decisions will receive the update letter, look at that and compare with the written commentary and either put the application back in the "unlikely to be interviewed" pile or move the applicant into the "let's invite now" or "let's invite early next year" stack if it appears that the up-date letter addresses a deficit that the reader(s) commented on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Results of 17 years of hard work determined by luck, reviewer's mood etc. Oh Well

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Can we really count k-12?
Counting it for the hard work done during that time. Still remember those early accelerated readers, swim, other ECs, etc.

Results of 17 years of hard work determined by luck, reviewer's mood etc. Oh Well
it's the same situation with UG admissions also, you get some high tier ones but get rejected from lower tier. That's why you need to apply broadly.

Good for you in kindergarten tbh, meanwhile I was probably the kid in the corner eating glue
But you also have at least one A, right?

it's the same situation with UG admissions also, you get some high tier ones but get rejected from lower tier. That's why you need to apply broadly.
Agree. Thinking that we have to go through this again for residency - guess that's what we signed up for

Agree. Thinking that we have to go through this again for residency - guess that's what we signed up for
It is, but gets better for residency and fellowship.

It is, but gets better for residency and fellowship.
Thank you. But Better might again be determined by which specialty, which program etc, but I am sure it's not 1 million applications for 22k spots. Will cross that bridge in 4 years.

Thank you. But Better might again be determined by which specialty, which program etc, but I am sure it's not 1 million applications for 22k spots. Will cross that bridge in 4 years.
And it's not really 1 million applications here, either. It's 55,000 APPLICANTS for 22,000 spots. Sure, it's a million applications, but it's also true that most folks account for between 20 and 30 of them, not one, and each applicant can ultimately only occupy one seat, so it's more meaningful to think in terms of applicants, not applications, since your true odds are 22/55, not 22/1,000!!!

Good for you in kindergarten tbh, meanwhile I was probably the kid in the corner eating glue
Baby future doctor: "Mmm, tastes like polyvinyl acetate and bowel obstruction!"

• Haha