What makes Baylor so competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mastashake

Dr. John Zoidberg, M.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Baylor, and they are a pretty selective school, which is good and all. What I wanna know is whether or not this is due to a great med program or being one of the cheapest med schools there is. Or is it both?

I am not biased against Baylor or anything, it just had such a low tuition it made me wonder.

Members don't see this ad.

nothing special.

it's just cheap.

probably a bit of both. smart people who happen to be price conscious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going there next year. They have some of the best clinical opportunities in the country, an awesome curriculum (1.5 years basic science) that allows for some cool away rotations and they rock on the boards. They are also extremely cheap, which in my opinion makes them the perfect school :)

Mastashake said:
I was looking at Baylor, and they are a pretty selective school, which is good and all. What I wanna know is whether or not this is due to a great med program or being one of the cheapest med schools there is. Or is it both?

I am not biased against Baylor or anything, it just had such a low tuition it made me wonder.

they are cheap because it is a Texas state law

every medical school in Texas is the same price for residents, regardless of caliber

1.5 year of basic science. You can't beat that, well except Duke, then it's only 1 year. Damn!

OSUdoc08 said:

every medical school in Texas is the same price for residents, regardless of caliber

actually this isn't true. =There is the base tuition price which is about 6550 and then some schools add additional tuition

OSUdoc08 said:

Baylor is private.

Handle said:
Baylor is private.
and that doesnt change anything, baylor still abides by that state law.

MadameLULU said:
actually this isn't true. =There is the base tuition price which is about 6550 and then some schools add additional tuition

The tuition at all schools in Texas is basically the same. All Texas medical schools range from $7100-8400 tuition per year.

Baylor is a private school, yet it offers an in-state tuition of $7,518/year

https://services.aamc.org/tsf/TSF_Report/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2001

This is based on Texas law, and not funding requirements. You will find no more then a $2000 deviation from the base standard price, and Baylor is within $1000 of the mark.

This is unique to Texas.

IndyZX said:
and that doesnt change anything, baylor still abides by that state law.

Doh, misread "Texas state law" as "Texas state school."

Carry on :)

I'm not sure what makes Baylor competitive, but I do want to comment that their admissions procedures suck...gosh, can someone let me know what my status is?

MadameLULU said:
I'm not sure what makes Baylor competitive, but I do want to comment that their admissions procedures suck...gosh, can someone let us know what my status is?

I interviewed with Baylor in December of my application year, and didn't hear from them until June

debakey did a lot for baylor's reputation when he was president, chief of surgery, professor, etc in the '70s.

besides that, the innovative/flexible curriculum, affiliated hospitals and clinical experience (public ben taub, tx children's, md anderson, cushy methodist (sort of)), diverse patient population, nih funding and research powerhouse, location in biggest med center in the world, caliber of students...

and of course the tuition for tx residents is the strawberry on top (i don't like cherries)!